Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      OK so where the coil over is mounted in relation to the pivot point is set for optimum leverage, hence making framemod necessary. It's not to allow you to install with no mods. There is a method and design to the madness that they brew up. It's not a Chinese/etc designer with worn metric tape measure guessing. These guys will work their collection give backsides off to build parts as close to OEM designs WITH mods for performance upgrades. After attempting to install a set of aftermarket stock replacement control arms in a metric chassis (Monte Carlo), it was an old GM test pool car that had trans issues and only had 583 miles on it. An actual NEW SS that was never sold till GM filed bankruptcy and an old factory turned storage was cleaned out. A fragged 200/4r a fresh GM shipping title never issued to a GM dealer and nearly locked up 305(odd as we expected 307) but owner was happier in not having to swap in Chevy parts or build an Olds.
      The car had also Sat in water as evidenced by bottom edge of rotors and drums were rotted off and wheels were in similar shape
      But frame was still covered in that waxy black sealer GM should still be using.
      Anyway some rust was in control arms so be pulled these off his rear ended current G body. IE they had already fit on car for about week before Freightliner relocated trunk lock.
      To install these in NEW car took 6 hrs and lots of tweaking. 6 months later ridetech strongarms went in and took nearly same amount of time too fineness into place. New/aftermarket sheet metal arms were sold to .y old boss for his metric chassis dirt car,,,,, they fell in!
      The OTHER new stock type arms he had installed before we gave him those had strength issues and ball joints loosened up and had to be beat into place. And tape measure confirmed at least 3/16 difference in mount measurements directly taken from 4 different cars and GM frame straightening specs. NONE were dead on and in 30 yrs of being an alignment tech taught me that none of the old cars are much closer than 1/8" at best over several thousand cars. Stock specs ARE loose and I can guarantee you stopping the line to verify jigs didnt happen unless something major showed up down the line. It's not ridetech it's them trying to build to a blueprint spec designed for a car designed and produced in 60/70/80s with 1/8 tolerances and they try to hit thousandths of an inch tolerances in their jigs. Learning to not get frustrated, and learning to work through , as some noted, with ingenuity is part of this hobby. Gooduck, wish me some as I am building a 77 Monza, ever wonder just how screwy THAT car will be? And I have to build most of my parts as few companies make H body parts for our hobby.
      I read the first paragraph after that you lost me but pertaining to the coil over issue I think its a tweak thats uneeded but thats my opinion!! I love ridetech i think its a great company, but we are also hard on the one we love!!
      I was able to get my driverside lca installed and woller out the coil pocket for the coilover. However, my frames coil pocket is for the most ruined other than that im happy. I cant wait to install the Muscle Bar now thats a nice piece!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com