Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

to go bbc or sbc?

iam building a low budget protouring street car.it is a 1970 monte.I was planning to go with a 496 bbc stroker,but I can get a 400 sbc block.i was wondering if it I should build a lighter 421 sbc stoker since I plan to inpove the handling of the big monte.

IMO, the SBC would be my choice due to the weight difference. You will be facing a challenge getting that car to handle well without the additional weight handicap of the BBC. HP out of the 421 should be more than sufficient to have fun.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

You will never be winning any autocross with that heavy of a car. Go BBC and have fun cruising with a car that has good handling, brakes and occasionally on the twisties. My .02. More torque for acceleration.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

I really don't plan to autocross,but don't weight much more then a chevelle or most a bodys.

Pick whichever one you think you will enjoy more. If you want more handling performance, choose the small block. If you just want to have fun and not care about lap times, get the big block. Nothing sounds quite as good as a big cube motor at idle haha
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by bbcmonte View Post
      I really don't plan to autocross,but don't weight much more then a chevelle or most a bodys.
      FWIW... I am redoing a ZZ572 for 850+ HP on pump gas. Sure it will be nose heavy but yes my car will still handle and brake well. Gonna have some fun for awhile then someday transplant a blown LS or ??? Will take the BBC and put in a Chevelle probably.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

I am going stay big block

Big block with aluminum heads, accessories, headers.
      Then it will run as well as a Chevelle. I would slap on some air ride, and enjoy.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

BBC if you want LOW end torque that sets you back in the seat. SBC if you want high winding horse power. Yes I DO run a BBC and recently bored and stroked it to 496 [.060 over bore and a 1/4' stroker] I also went with a hydraulic conversion roller mild at 230/236 at 515/ 520 lift Comp Cam. I have closed chambered iron head that are ported to the max with big valves. HP with a 750 carb and torker intake hood clearance] putting out a mild 500 525 hp. If you go BBC and running a carb make sure it has a mechanical fuel pump boss. Do not run an electric fuel pump unless you have to. Just my 2 cents

I would not go with air ride until you check with your insurance co. I recently was checking on insurance and the most ask 1st question was DO YOU HAVE HYDRAULICS OR air ride

Bbc is alot of fun on the street, I have 496ci with aluminum heads, easy way to make 600+ hp when your on a budget ... SBC's make plenty of power with the right parts.

Having had both in a Monte I would suggest the small block. In fact I would go get one out of a late 1990's era truck...hydraulic roller, Vortec LT, Gen II...however you want to refer to it. You can build that engine for peanuts, over 400 hp easy and all day long...plenty to move your Monte around nicely, lighter, cheaper, quicker...you can even drop in a brand new 350 Ramjet, 400 ft lbs, fuel injected for around $5,000.
      Big blocks are beasts, no doubt. But they are heavy, expensive beasts. So many small block choices. 5.3l LS out of a truck...430 hp, can be had running for a few thousand with everything you need to install.
      My two cents
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbcmonte View Post
      i am building a low budget protouring street car.
      this right here!....^^^^^^^^^^
      price out the engine mods wanted for both SBC and BBC,,,I mean everything, valve covers, pulleys, engine mounts, bolt sets ....every part and the go to your local auto parts store and ask them whats on the shelf for each.... what ever motor choice they have to order more parts for is the one I would not install...because when your at and event 700 miles from home and you need a part to get home, (this is a low buck so you wont have a sh*t ton of parts your dragging with you) you need it then not 2 days from then....

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com