Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Kirkey Road Race Seats for Dual Duty??

Now that I'm driving my Chevelle around, I've determined that my BMW E30 seats are not comfy for me. My hips are too wide so I don't fit well on the seat cushion between the bolsters. Another negative is they sit tall so I have no head room when wearing a helmet. Therefore, I'm on the lookout for seats that offer a lower seating position and a wider seat area in the hip region.

I spent time today at Summit Racing sitting in various seats from Sparco, Procar, and Kirkey. I wasn't set on any particular one when I walked in the door, but I hope to use my experience with their measurements to determine which seat to search for.

All that said, every Sparco seat they had was too small in the hip section. The R100, EVOII, and another fixed back were a no go. I fit, but they wound't be comfortable after 20min or so similar to my current seat. The Procar's were too small as well, but they didn't appeal to me also. I wanted to try the Chrono Road, but not available there.

The seat I was most surprised with was the Kirkey Laid Back Road Race seat. I really didn't want to like it as it's an aluminum seat, and I have no cage. Nonetheless, it fit me perfect with the 18in wide seat area so I was able to relax and not feel crushed. The supports for my shoulder were in the perfect position as well so I felt very comfortable and secure in the seat. I'm just not sure how it would be on longer trips and getting in/out of when in the car. Mine is not a daily, mainly occasional driver with a focus on AutoX and beginning track so the seat has some merit.

Any feedback on this seat? I don't have a cage so mounts to the floor will be easy and I could mount the back to the harness bar is needed. The flipside is the back seat will be useless if the back must be mounted to something.

I'm open to other seats, but it appears that I need 17-18 of actual seat cushion between the bolsters to be comfortable. Ideas or other options??

Kerry
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com