Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

here are few ideas

Probably most expensive parts were the turbos:
      Probably just use well wrapped exhaust tubing on hot side.
      My theory is that for well shy of $2000 i can do twin turbos, get most of it mocked up, then swap in more expensive parts as I break parts.
      BUT I have seen several different twin setups from used/offshore and junk others just pulled off.
      Two guys I know ran cheap systems then after building big engine they swapped in pair of Comp oil less turbos.
      Aerocharger still makes turbos and use turbine oil and not engine oil.
      I always wondered about one of the electric pumps, a tank, cooler and turbine oil all separate from engine oil.
      I like GT series turbos as they are water cooled also.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

It's totally do-able for under $2k...... IF you can do the fab work and look for "deals". Not sure what those turbos are, but they look like my first ones, T Bird Turbocoupe turbos with the built in waste gates. Should work fine for 600ish wheel hp if that's what they are.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

GT2871R
      For my 283 the formulas call for 66lb/min and from info I found journal version push 43 each and ball bearing are rated at 46. The totals an smaller units are down a few lbs with journal bearing due to speed of spool. BUT also you can take turbine side to .86ar to free up back pressure, but since I am running short stroke 283, the numbers match well.
      One issue is that the cheaper headers are 304 instead of better grade stainless. My plan was to start with these headers, then rebuild as I go with 316 or 321 schedule 10 or 40 pieces as cash flow comes in.
      Monza is small car, 97 in wheel base limited in front tire size,I can stick plenty off tire under rear but front will be limited.
      I figure it will push bad if I get rear suspension to hook .
      Did pick up 4wd rear, not a true ZR2 rear but at least got free 4wd. Gotta see what gears it has, crossing fingers its not 3.73. With turbos don't need lower gears. Already have 2wd 3.42s.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Perfect timing. I'm doing a twin turbo setup and I was chatting with a guy who owns a shop in sac. He builds ls 1000+hp motors all day long. He was telling me. The China headers are fine. Cx racing, vs racing, etc. He said the material is thinner so the key is to support the turbos. As they are extremely heavy. That's why the China headers crack. Plus he said if you test some of the eBay stuff and make sure they don't hang up. They work well for not extreme use. So basically 99% of us ebay stuff would work fine.

Yeah, that's what I have found, as intended I can always rebuild headers if hey crack and I always intended to support my turbos anyway. The reason I said anything about headers cause 304 isn't up to heat/pressure like 316 or 321.
      I figure I would make new headers later on.
      That's where schedule10/40 pieces,all tigged up would be better and easy to mock up later on or use stainless tubing from place like stainless works.
      Prove and tune on cheap stuff then build better parts.
      Like turbos, dial it in on cheap, then up grade later on. Let's you locate drains, run tubing, decide if any modds are needed.
      $600 in turbos, or $3000 in turbos. Seems like great idea to me, grenades not out of huge cash.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

Are those real Garrett GT2871Rs? I doubt it. Most likely Chinese knock offs...A real Garrett GT2871R is about 1200 bucks....each...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

There's a guy on ls1tech that give great advice on china made stuff that he's used over and over again. His name is denmah. He has a Internet help page. It's worth the read.

Im not taking anything away from the China stuff, it's cheap and usually works but you keep quoting $3000 for quality turbos....you can get a pair of Turbonetics capable of handling up to 1200whp on an LS engine for $1400 for the pair with a warranty and a real person on the end of the phone if you have trouble.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

^ yeah. Everything has its place. It's just like harbor freight. Some stuff is good. Some stuff it junk. Just gotta test it.

Ok so after looking over turbonetics site I didn't see any oil and water plumbed need to look slower, I prefer GT series after lots of research and few other peoples usage of GT series low spool rpm, good climbing rate, never over speeding to get performance numbers.
      Had two guys swap from comparable T3/t4 to GT28 series (GT2871R) these guys using pairs, both journal and BB versions, good life, low failure rate and 17% increase in performance.
      Heck my simple point is, you can build on cheap, NOT buy super expensive parts too start and make good ,reliable power.
      Got one guy pushing 355 two GT2871r with larger turbines and getting 841hp on a daily driven twin set up. He has 29,000 miles and zero failures so far. Reason he went with cheap stuff was to prove our idea/concept.
      I see guys running $900-$2000 turbos, we got idea from theturboforums.com "the grenade" now a hall of fame story. Guy used two GN turbos freightliner intercooler, commander 950 computer, tpi adapter harness, tpi , 150k mile 357 SBC, USED comps 268h, used heads, well all used parts, pushed uncut 88 GTA firebird, th400 w/tbrake, 3.00 gears and ran 10.03 on first clean pass, tuned with small valve heads best of 9.70s, with bigger heads,still stock, 9.37 1/4 mile time.
      Low 9seconds 1/4 in uncut third gen, on street cheaters,
      My plan is less than $2000 in my setup, maybe even with my long block!
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com