Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Champion cooling systems radiators any good?

Hi Guys,
      I am in the market for a new radiator and have been looking at this brand I see on Ebay/Jegs. The company is called Champion Cooling Systems. Has anyone used their radiators before? Any experience or reviews would be appreciated. Unfortuanley my budget doesnt allow for one of the big name brands like Ron Davis or Be Cool so I need to find a good "budget brand"
      here is a link to the one I am looking at;
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/CC571-dpi571...1f2e03&vxp=mtr
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Country Flag: UK
      I have one for my trans am they look great and very well made . but not tested as trans am is not finished so hoping it will work

good to hear, thanks!
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

I was asking the same question a while ago, there's some pretty good information in this thread, specifically the from Entropy radiators.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ors?highlight=

That being said, if you're willing to build mounts for the radiator you can buy "generic" radiators from the bigger companies for way cheaper. For example, an Afco for my Chevelle normally runs for $1200, but by buying the "generic" radiator from Amazon with the EXACT same core in it and building mounts it only cost me about $400. It depends how much work you're willing to do yourself.

Living in Arizona like we do I wouldn't screw around with the cooling system. It would suck to have a lot of work in the car and then you can only drive it for 3 months out of the year because it overheats for the other 9.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

This is very helpful thank you
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Champion radiators are made in China.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Champion radiators are made in China.
      I understand that. I dont necessarity beleive though that everything that is made in China is bad like many guys on here do. I have used and heard of many products (not all) that are American designed and Chinese built that work just fine. Thats why I wanted to see if anyone has experience or testimony on these radiators in particular. I would seek out the same responses for any American made part just as well.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

So let me make a suggestion go to evanscooling.com, and drop the green to switching to their NPG+ coolant. 375 deg boiling point, with no pressure, has no water in it so no corrosion, and if it gets lower than -40 it just turns to sluch but never freezes or swells.
      I have guy that has used same coolant in three cars( same engine/ rad) and it still tests perfect. You get an engine too 375 deg F its junk anyway.but I have seen two custom builds I did run hard, live to be freshened up and returned to the track. Oh and for the record I never build engineering run super cold, I run my engines in the 190-200 range anyway. Engines stay clean, run hard and don't have much issue with cooling. Remember it is as much about air flow and coolant flow/ restriction balance.
      Water through too fast, no cooling, too slow, not enough heat rejected to air. Also it doesn't take super fast air flow it takes a lot of cfm. Move more air molecules, remove more heat. It takes a specific amount of time for air to absorb heat, get tat ratio right and your golden, miss it and you have cooling issues.
      I cooled a 10.5 to 1 402 BBC, 030 over, carved,hei, 3 row copper/brass g&o magnum core with oe tanks, and used a 91 Cavalier rad fan assembly, used a Chrysler temp sender that screwed into head, that grounded the oval GM type relay.
      As I will stand by this it doesn't take $1000 set up to keep a car cool but it takes lots of common sense and proper execution.
      Good luck, I figure at least one of my projects will use a Champion rad, but time will tell.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I've been running a Champion in my 92 Time Attack Formula on the street and track for 2 or 3 years now, zero issues. Mine is a 2-row. About a half inch taller than stock, so slight massaging was needed to fit. The "direct replacement" aluminum rad for my GTO from another Chinese source was no different.

Just make sure to use Dexcool and should last as well as anything else.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I have been running my Champion radiator for a couple months now and I'm impressed so far. It's been keeping my engine plenty cool and looks great. We'll see how it does once the AZ summer temps come back.

Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com