Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Overhead console

I was looking at the overhead console in my 2007 classic Silverado and was thinking it would be pretty sweet to put one in my '68 Camaro. It could incorporate the garage door opener and overhead lamps. Has anyone done this before? What do you guys think about this idea?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

You could have the same options with one of those Gentex mirrors. I have one in mine that has 3 garage door buttons, compass, temp and auto-dimming but without the lights. I put LEDs in the dome light and the under dash sockets and they light the interior pretty well. As for the console, I wonder how you would mount it. What headliner do you have (factory style)?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Yeah, its factory headliner. I put the LED light in the dome, I'm a little disappointed in the dome in the fact that with the cover off it has the LED look and brightness, put the cover on and it turns the light back to a sepia color. I'm wondering if anyone has made a clear cover. I like the mirror concept you are talking about, do you have a picture of it installed? I still want lights though. That's why I was wondering about the overhead console, it's small enough that I would think mounting wouldn't be a problem.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Country Flag: Canada
      Actually the mirrors from the gm trucks of that era swap over quite easily and the compass/temp sensors are easy to wire up to. Someone here in canada has done it and even sold some on here. I'd check out the classifieds see if you can find him. Pm him for details. I've dealt with him I don't have his info anymore. As for the console idea..i think it's a great idea would love to see pictures when it's installed
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

In a few vehicles over the years, I've installed the factory lighted mirrors from cars like the late 80's and up GM midsize cars, as well as say 96 Camaro, into older cars to add more lighting. I'm very happy with them, it doesn't look out of place, and lights up the dash and front of cabin quite nicely. It's to the point to where if I find a mirror, I'll snatch it, so I've gotten to have a few on hand for future projects.

Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com