Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

driving me crazy....

We have a new pontiac engine. 400 block, now a 440.
      custom grind cam from comp with comp hyd lifters, zero lash plus 1/4 preload.
      The engine fires easy and idles good with a fresh set of lifters.
      Shut down, and will not restart. It did this with two sets of comp lifters.
      We checks valve train geomatry many times. roller scrubing in the center of the valve stem, the rocker is a 90 degree to the valve at 50% lift. used a light weight valve spring to check and messure everything.

We are at a total lost with this one.... Any ideas?

Why did you think it was a lifter problem/ replace them? Does it turn over and just won't fire?

JORDAN

driving me crazy....

After it sitting over night we came back and reset all the lifters to a zero lash. it fired up and idled fine but and as soon as the lifters pumped up (about 45 sec of running) we started to get popping out the exhaust and intake. Leads me to believe the lifters are acting funny and holding valves open.

If it was the lifters pumping up at idle like that you would have to have less seat pressure on the spring than oil pressure.... Do you know the seat pressure of the springs? When you say you reset it to zero lash you mean zero preload right? (Just want to make sure I get this correct, this I a hydraulic cam right?) if there is no preload how could they pump up? Just curious where abouts are you in CA? I'm in Anaheim, I'd be interested in taking a look at it see if we can figure it out....
      Few more questions

Is this a new build or did you just change the cam (or anything else) basically did it run fine at some point.

What ignition are you running?

What carb?

Sounds more like an ignition issue, check the coil and plugs. I had a NEW plug that broke (porcelain separated from the threaded part of the plug) and it did something similar

JORDAN

driving me crazy....

brand new MSD dis with 6A box. Replaced it this we have a weak spark. We have a fast EZ efi. We tried a carb with the same results. We think the problem is the lifters are not bleeding down when not on max cam lift. Only some cylinders have lifters that are hard.

If there is no pre load the lifter can't pump up and hold the valve open. As soon as you have oil pressure the lifters are filled with oil, if they weren't it would be making an aweful ticking noise till the did. You said you changed the lifters and it still did it.... I reeeeeeeaally don't think that's the issue. I'd go through your ignition system and make sure the cap, coil, plugs and wires don't have any damage and you have a good ground. A loose wire, bad ground, cracked cap, cut in plug wire insulation causing a cross fire.... Sound more likely, it's highly unlikely you would get two bad sets of lifters from a quality company like comp.

JORDAN

I agree, two complete sets of bad lifters is highly unlikely. Adjust the rockers to zero lash then take them 1/2 to 3/4 turn more.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Way to check if it is lifter pump up, after it won't start, loosen lifter 1/2 to 1 round, try to restart. If it does, that's issue, if not then look else where.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Which lifters? the "old" Comp 857s are known to have issues -usually not the whole set though. They have been replaced by the 857S version and most guys are doing OK with them.

Because of that lots of guys are using solid rollers on HR cams with tight lash and doing good.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

driving me crazy....

all this crap and it ended up being piston rings stuck in the piston. Found out by doing a compression check and 4 cylinders had less then 50 psi. back to the builder it goes....

Did you tear the motor down and see the stuck rings?

JORDAN

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com