Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

'69 Camaro, needs restored. Value??

I'm looking for some opinions on this '69 Camaro I'm interested in buying. I've seen driver quality Camaro's with 20 year old paint jobs go for $30,000, or just a rolling shell with no interior for $7,000-$10,000! So, I'm not sure where this one lands. Here's the rundown...

-Body-

Fairly solid, it's got a good foundation. Underneath the car is good, no holes in the floor, frame rails are solid, the exterior just needs tending to. It's had quarters put on it at some point in time, but I'm not sure of the quality of repair they did, so I'm not sure if I'd factor the cost to replace them into the total cost to repaint yet. Doors are really solid and straight, but the bottoms of them are pretty bad, which is a shame. Fenders are great, just need a patch on the lower corner of the driver side, the passenger side is clean. And I'll have to get an OEM hood for it, I'd have to sell the hood that's on it, big 4" cowl.

Other than that, it's got some typical rust issues...around the rear window, front window down by the dash, popping out around the tail lights...just "here and there".

-Interior-

Again, not bad. Seats and carpet are great, dash and dash pad show it's age, but I probably wouldn't replace them. Column is all scratched up by the ignition, and the steering wheel is cracked. Needs a driver side door panel, and a package tray, and there's a hole in the headliner towards the back. That's really about it...

-Engine-

396 BBC. Runs, but sounds like it's got a massive exhaust leak. Not a rod knock noise, but that high pitched TICK ya know? Someone at work suggested maybe the headers are cheap and warped? Or it's out of time, and the dual points distributor needs to go. Just needs some tuning...but I guess the fact that it runs is as good a sign as any?

Those are the big 3 items. The car has been sitting for years and years, so it'll need some TLC elsewhere too. Brakes go to the floor, so not sure if they just need bled, but a friend suggested just buying 4 new wheel cylinders since they were so cheap. (power drum brakes on all 4 corners) M20 4sp, that hopefully shifts good (car moves under it's own power, but isn't road worthy, so no test drive) and 4.10 12 bolt posi out back. Fuel system will likely need some attention too...clean out the tank, see what they have for a fuel pump setup (I know it's external, bolted to the frame back there, just not sure of the condition) Bumpers are ok, but the rest of the chrome is questionable. Etc.

I know 69's bring some big money, in all kinds of shape, but I don't know what to offer this guy? He's asking $13,500, is that fair for a car that needs as much as it does? Opinions?

I should ad that I was a body man for almost 15 years, so I know exactly what the body is going to take. If a reputable resto shop did it, I'd say anywhere from $12,000-$15,000 easy. Luckily it's nothing I can't handle, so it should save me a bundle there...whenever I got around to it. My plan would be to get it to be a safe, reliable driver, primer or just single state it one color (currently 4 different colors on the car) and drive it for a few years while I save up money for the body, and the kids get a little older so the wife isn't pulling her hair out with them while I play with my car. She's already stuck with them being a stay at home mom. haha

Here's a vid of the engine noise....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5n31muA8Q

I'd upload some pics of the car itself, but I don't feel right posting too much of this guy's car on the internet.
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com