Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TPMS options - anyone retrofit a quality OEM unit?

Hi, guys, I only saw one other thread on TPMS in general and the few builds that include Stack's very nice but very pricey race application pressure and temperature monitoring system (Stack TPMS "lite" = $3k).

Leaving aside the Stack system, it appears my two options are an aftermaket general-use system (of which there are plenty) or an OEM system adapted to an aftermarket use.

The freestanding aftermarket (non race-spec) units look shabby and cheap. There are a million variations and they all scream Taiwan. If I build one of these into the dash and it craps out, I am stuck replacing it with the same kind and suffering the same problems.

The harder, but more reliable and quality, option would be to retrofit a factory OEM TPMS set up into my car. Every car has them now, but I don't know whose would be most "free standing". Has anyone done this? Any advice?
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

None will be freestanding. all the newer cars systems are all networked throuhgh cars systems, some through BCMs others through dedicated networked modules.
      Now several companies make them for Goldwing/dresser bikes, especially ones with three wheel conversion,and trailer towing packages.
      One setup I saw was ran from android or win ce based double DIN radios on ebay, havent looked for them in while.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Thanks for the reply. I am caught between cheapo parts and super expensive ones, I guess :(
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Honestly the ones the goldwing/dresser bike units don't look cheap to me. Actually fairly well built and seem to update regularly.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com