Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ten things to know before you show up at a goodguys autocross

There are a bunch of unwritten guidelines for Goodguys that you won’t fully understand until you've run the events for a season or two. After watching doe-eyed newcomers roll in, year after year, I thought I would share some insight to make it easier and less stressful to get started on the fun parts of Goodguys Autocross. First and foremost: Read the rules. We have an entire post in this group on what the rules are.

1. The Pro’s park up front. When you pull into the pit area, the first 15-20 spots are for pros only. Seems unfair at first but you’ll get over it. Look for the pit marshal on a golf cart if you’re still confused about where to park – it's easy to be confused if you’re early and only a few cars have parked. {Pit Marshal is usually on a golf cart with a clipboard and wearing a safety vest.}

2. Be on-time, if not early. It messes things up when the pit marshal is trying to tech late-comers. West Coast events tend to fill up early and people arrive at sun-up to get a spot in the pits; don’t be pissed if you do not get in when you show up at 9:00am.

3. You must be tech inspected. If you are not inspected and have not signed your tech card, they will turn you away at the start line until you have. It is your responsibility to find the pit marshal and get your car tech’d.

4. Run in the order you are parked and don’t leave your spot until the pit marshal tells you to. It’s a good idea to check in with the marshal to make sure you understand your run order; it’s okay to tell him that you’re new and appreciate his guidance. The Goodguys crew will generally appreciate you asking questions; messing up the run order gets them cranky and you’ll likely get the stink eye that weekend…. a lot.

5. The pros run often. Just when you think it is your turn to run again, you’ll be told that the pros are running and you have to wait. I know that once you get your first taste of autocross you’re going to want to do it again and again--and again. The adrenaline and excitement of autocross is addictive. Goodguys wants to get you as many runs as possible but they also need to satisfy commitments to sponsors and charitable partnerships. Sponsors are what enable us to autocross in the first place. At most events, the pro class will run at the top of every hour. If there are seventy cars registered and the course is 50 seconds long, you can see where there might be more than an hour before you get your next run. Be patient. The run order will resume where it left off and everyone will get the same number of runs. Take time between runs to watch the fast guys (and gals) and learn from their driving; wander about the pits to see the cars and introduce yourself to your new family.

6. Listen to what you’re told. The guy at the start line knows you’re new and he knows you’ll likely get an ego check once out on the course (it’s faster and more challenging than it looks); even seasoned SCCA drivers have done poorly because they didn't understand how a Goodguys’ course is laid out at first. The guy at the starting line is going to give you some valuable information. Heed the cautions, take it easy at first and while you shouldn't be afraid of hitting some cones, don’t go out of your way to knock down more than your fair share.

7. Make friends. While the competition is fierce at times, most are in this game for the fun and friendship. Everyone was new at this once; get to know the drivers and you’ll learn the ropes a lot faster. Once you get to know the drivers, they will help you build your skills and navigate the courses.

8. This is not High School. There isn't a lot of room for trash-talking, jealousy or negativity. See number seven.

9. Don’t be that guy. ‘That guy’ refers to a whole bunch of stupid behavior that is seen at nearly every event, but primarily it can be summed up with: Don’t do burnouts, don’t speed in the pits, no matter how loud the crowd cheers when you do a 360 and wipe out half the course, don’t do it again. Every time the course has to be reset is time when cars cannot run. If it takes the cone workers ten minutes to reset things, there are ten cars that don’t get to run that session. Refer back to number six.

10. Be prepared for a lifelong commitment that forsakes all others. Autocross is like crack cocaine, once you try it, you’re hooked. The commitment you will have to your new friends will also find its way into your lifestyle; pretty soon, you’re planning road trip vacations and matching bedazzled t-shirts. Suddenly your life events will be planned around seat time and any free time (and money) will be spent fixing and upgrading your car. While I’m (kind of) kidding, I don’t think anyone currently autocrossing will argue this statement. You’d be best served to get your significant other in on the action as well, then he/she can be addicted with you and you won’t be able to blame each other when you’re living in a one bedroom apartment so that you can maintain two cars worth more than a house.

See you at the track!

Where's the "Like" button.

HAHA, too right. I may have to do better on #2,4,6,8,9, but, I'm really good on #7 & 10. There may be no hope. ;) (I thought trash talking was part of #7)

Never better said, Suzy!! If I was to add anything, it would be that the Pro's set the standard of professionalism for our sport and they need to be cognizant about how their actions are perceived. Getting silly with the skinny pedal may look cool but taking out rows of cones and even timing lights achieve two things: delaying other driver's fun while the course is being reset which reduces the amount of overall runs AND sends the message that getting wild is acknowledged in a good way when it really isn't. Us GoodGuys Pro's know better and this goes for anyone that turns a wheel on any autocross course.

If you're spinning tires or your car is going sideways, you're adding time to your run and this should always be in the back of your mind at an autocross. Danny Popp said it best with his autocross phrase "Always forward, never straight." I've changed that to "Always forward, RARELY straight" as I ran an autocross course last year where there were two slaloms and an eighth mile of nothing in between. So yes, I must admit ... I was straight. And it was really cool, too.

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

So true! Especially number 10. My wife gets it too :-)

I've attended both FL events (this and last year) and have really enjoyed it. I didn't realize that some events are so packed you may get 1 run or less per hour. Turnout was lower this year in FL than last, but I suppose I was lucky to get more runs. I hope Good Guys keeps coming to FL though. This year there was less turnout because of the optima USCA event in Vegas (as far as the pro turnout) I heard. Looking forward to next year!

And some of my local AutoX buddies didn't come with late models because they weren't aware it was an All American weekend. I'll be sure to tell them next year they can run all weekend. And maybe that should be communicated more clearly on the website.

Name:  DSC_1027r.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  122.8 KB
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Thanks, I believe that alot of us need to be reminded of this more often. I haven't had anything to autocross in a while but I do help out at a lot of events and see alot of this happening. Thanks again

Wow Suzy. Great write-up and observations!
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by gator68428 View Post
      And some of my local AutoX buddies didn't come with late models because they weren't aware it was an All American weekend. I'll be sure to tell them next year they can run all weekend. And maybe that should be communicated more clearly on the website.

Name:  DSC_1027r.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  122.8 KB
      All American weekend? I was/am in the dark on this too. I'm ready to play all weekend long.
      Brandon Pursley,

Quote Originally Posted by BADNBLK View Post
      All American weekend? I was/am in the dark on this too. I'm ready to play all weekend long.
      Some of the events are open all weekend for all years of American made vehicles (Loveland CO isn't one of them). You have to read all the details for each event on the GoodGuys website to find out which ones are. It would be nice to see them open the entire event to more years for the autox but I don't expect to see it at out local (Scottsdale) GoodGuys show any time soon.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Glad I'm in my office alone, cause that made me laugh out loud! Love me some Good Guys events, and can't wait to get my ride done!
      Mike "Junior" Johnson
      Evolution Performance Driving School

Quote Originally Posted by Project92rs View Post
      Some of the events are open all weekend for all years of American made vehicles (Loveland CO isn't one of them). You have to read all the details for each event on the GoodGuys website to find out which ones are. It would be nice to see them open the entire event to more years for the autox but I don't expect to see it at out local (Scottsdale) GoodGuys show any time soon.
      I guess what I have done is never read any other event locations to know that was an option haha! I think the age limit could easily be moved to 1992/3 and keep the bowtie and blue oval guys happy. Might open the door for new members. I know I had no interest in joining GG until the autocross was addded to the Loveland event.

Ok back on track to rules!
      Brandon Pursley,

All good advice, although I find it ironic that the Goodguys courses are more suited to MGs and Minis than the big domestic iron-bull in a China shop comes to mind.

PHR Project Talladega, Greenwood Corvettes, Hard Luck Hemi, some muscle and eurotrash...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com