Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Antioch, CA...gateway to the California Delta
      Country Flag: United States

Nevada Open Road Challenge 2015

Just got back from the Nevada Open Road Challenge!! 1700 mile round trip, car ran great! Ran in the Grand Touring class, 125 target, 140 mph tech speed. Great time! Great people! Got two out of three awards. Car show, most unique vehicle (not sure how to take that). King of The Road, hitting four checkpoints on time (results pending due to dumb luck). Anyway, I had a rookie navigator and with the excitement came confusion he got a little lost, missed timing the start, speed trap and the last 25 miles had me cycling between 115 and 140 mph several times. I missed my time by about four seconds. Oh well, now he knows what its all about and I expect to get within a second next September. Rained every day but race day. About 150 entrants. Fastest average speed of the day was 202 mph, a retired NASCAR Monte Carlo. New Corvette, Camaro and Mustang heavy, anybody can buy a car and go fast. The real cars were of course my 67 Impala SS 125 class, 72 Charger 150 class, 67 Mustang 150 class, 67 Charger 115 class, 77 Mustang II 140 class, 70 Dart 110 class and a hand-full of 60s Mustangs. Come on guys, get your muscle cars ready and I'll see you in September! Check it out..... SSCC.us

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats bad ass chris!
      What kind of safety equipment did you need?
      Phil
      72 chevelle.

I need to check it out, and build a better front spoiler.

Antioch, CA...gateway to the California Delta
      Minimal safety equipment needed for rookies as they won't let you exceed 124 mph. Your car and tires MUST be in good shape, they are very picky about safety. Helmet (SA2010 or newer), cotton shirt and pants, leather gloves and shoes, factory 3 point safety belt (in good shape), fire extinguisher, V rated tires or better less than 5 years old and some other minimum stuff. You can get a complete list of required safety equip and rule book on their web site SSCC.us. After you rookie event you can go up to 140 mph without a roll bar but you need a 6 point harness and arm restraints. Over 140 you need a roll bar, nomex driver suit and other stuff.
      As far as brakes....there are several classics still running drum brakes, but must be in good working order.
      There is nothin like going 110+ for 45 minutes without looking in your mirror for red and blue lights!
      Its kind of pricey but cheaper than jail and impound fees, I spent about $1500 total (Entry fee, hotel, food) last event.
      For the rookie class you won't need an air dam yet although it really helps up over 125 mph.
      Work on it guys! We need more classic muscle out there!
      You Tube.....nevada open road challenge may 15 gate 92, my car goes buy about 5.18 into the video

real cars don't ride on trailers

This event is on my bucket list!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!