Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Installing an Anvil carbon fiber dash carrier for a 1969 Nova in my Camaro

I don't care for the looks of the factory style dash carrier/pad for a 1969 Camaro, and, in fact, prefer the dash carrier for a 1969 Nova. Anvil makes a carbon fiber dash carrier for the Nova that is supposed to fit in a Camaro. I bought a Nova dash carrier today and will attempt the install over the next couple of weeks.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

My first issue is that my Camaro dash (the metal part) was "modified" by a previous owner to remove the portion that extends from the column mount toward the center of the car. It's the part that goes under the stock radio mount location and provides mounting locations for the dash carrier to be bolt to. You can see the missing piece in these photos. Anyone know where I can get a replacement piece? I know I can buy the entire dash, but I was hoping to just pick up the L-shaped piece that extends from the column mounting location to the center of the car.

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Here are a couple of shots of the gauges I'll be using. They're CAN-bus gauges from Speedhut and use info/data from the engine controller via a connection to the OBD2 plug, except for the gas gauge.

Dash arrived today. Here's a pic of the layout I think I'll use. Sleep on it tonight - drill tomorrow.

Should tach go on left or right?

Very easy installation. Wiring could not be simpler.

Nice. I agree with you, don't care for the 69 Camaro dash. I have a Nova pad and am attempting to build/make my own steel insert for my Camaro.
      Looking forward to seeing yours done.

I ordered an original Nova pad on eBay last week. I'm going to have it recovered once it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by gcallahan View Post
      Nice. I agree with you, don't care for the 69 Camaro dash. I have a Nova pad and am attempting to build/make my own steel insert for my Camaro.
      Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Smart move on getting the original pad and having it recovered. I had a brand new OER pad and my gauge cluster would not fit in it. I did the same as you and bought an original on ebay and test fit it with the gauge cluster. No issues! It's being recovered right now. Can't wait to get it back.
      Matt H.

Thanks Matt. Who are you using to recover your OER pad?

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellow69 View Post
      Smart move on getting the original pad and having it recovered. I had a brand new OER pad and my gauge cluster would not fit in it. I did the same as you and bought an original on ebay and test fit it with the gauge cluster. No issues! It's being recovered right now. Can't wait to get it back.

It's a local business here in Denver called Autoweave. They do really nice work. Tons of super high end resto work constantly in their shop. I've dealt with them for at least 15 years. They are not "cheap" though. They aren't inexpensive either. I think it they told me $320 plus tax. I don't think that price is outrageous, especially when a $250 aftermarket pad doesn't even fit correctly.
      Matt H.

Can you post some pics of the dash pad? I'm thinking of adding contrasting stitching on the top edge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellow69 View Post
      It's a local business here in Denver called Autoweave. They do really nice work. Tons of super high end resto work constantly in their shop. I've dealt with them for at least 15 years. They are not "cheap" though. They aren't inexpensive either. I think it they told me $320 plus tax. I don't think that price is outrageous, especially when a $250 aftermarket pad doesn't even fit correctly.

They are pretty busy right now at Autoweave. When I dropped it off on Friday they told me 2-3 weeks. They are usually right on with their time frame. I will post pics when I get it though. By the way, your gauges and cluster look pretty slick!
      Matt H.

Radio installation was pretty straightforward.

What is the measurement from top to bottom in the narrow part of the dash between the column and the top of the dash? I am trying to determine if the new Holley Dash will fit there.

Thanks,

Dave

Approximately 5-1/8"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave95Z28 View Post
      What is the measurement from top to bottom in the narrow part of the dash between the column and the top of the dash? I am trying to determine if the new Holley Dash will fit there.

Thanks,

Dave

Installed the AC controls. Happy with the look, but would prefer some cooler knobs. Any thoughts?

Is that the control setup for a Gen II compaq? Here's my cluster.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Matt H.

Gen IV. Looks good! How did you attach vent?

The Covan's cluster I am using had the factory attachment points glued to the back. It assembled like a stock dash. If yours doesn't have that you might need to find a factory Nova or 69 Camaro cluster and see if you can remove those pieces and reuse them.
      Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      Approximately 5-1/8"
      Thanks for the measurement. I really appreciate it.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com