Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Help me design a stereo system for MotiV8r

Are you an audiophile? Then help me put together a sound system for MotiV8r my '68 Camaro based around a Pioneer 8100 NEX head unit.

I would like it to have some kick but I don't want some over the top crazy million watt system. It needs to be hidden and if needed I can dedicate the space under the rear package tray in the trunk for amps and sub woofers. I am eliminating the back seat in favor of storage boxes so that might free up the wall between the trunk and interior for ports or covered speakers if needed. I also need to keep the costs down so there are more funds for go fast parts. So, knowing the allowable space and the type of car what would you recommend?
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

There is no hiding the Power of the Bass!

And then one should consider weight as a factor, putting a giant MDF box in there is totally self defeating. Thus you are looking for fiberglass and if you are honestly just looking to fill out the sounds, a couple of 8's would be more than enough, give you the crisp hits and they will provide some of the low throw bass. I had 2 12's and 4 8's in my Rx7, 132db at 100 watts, but with my punch 650, over 1000watts at 2ohms, you could not sit in the car even with ear protection as it would feel like it was trying to stop your heart. (hello hearing loss !).

So a couple of eights in a nice fiberglass enclosure obviously tweeters, mids in the doors, perhaps a center channel, but just like pro-touring the sky is the limit. Find someone local that has the experience and they can put something together nicely. Just be honest with whomever it is on what you want. (if secretly you want to shake the car in front of you with bass vs exhaust, tell them )..

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Well. Audiophile and not spending a lot do not go hand and hand

First let's look at subs. Since you're eliminating rear seats, the obvious choice is an infinite baffle sub. It's light weight and takes up very little space. You just have to make sure to seal off the trunk completely. An air bleeding through will have an adverse effect on the bass. I recommend looking into the 15" dayton audio ib sub. I ran a pair in my home theater and they perform very well

Next, speakers. Your biggest issue is going to be hiding a tweeter. I went with horns but that is far from a budget option. In your case I would look into hybrid audio technologies "imagine" line. They allow you to mount the tweeter on the mid this will simplify the install and if you use kick pods, it'll sound good.

Forget the rear speakers, they don't help you. In short they introduce something called "comb filtering". It makes things harder to tune and just doesn't add anything.

Now for amps... Your door speakers NEED power and lots of it. I would not consider anything under 100 watts rms per channel. I would suggest 150. Power doesn't necessarily mean volume, instead it means clarity. I usually compare it to towing a jet ski. Would you be better off with an f250 or a Honda Accord. Both "could" get the job done. One would do it a let easier.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by cactuss4 View Post
      And then one should consider weight as a factor, putting a giant MDF box in there is totally self defeating. Thus you are looking for fiberglass and if you are honestly just looking to fill out the sounds, a couple of 8's would be more than enough, give you the crisp hits and they will provide some of the low throw bass. I had 2 12's and 4 8's in my Rx7, 132db at 100 watts, but with my punch 650, over 1000watts at 2ohms, you could not sit in the car even with ear protection as it would feel like it was trying to stop your heart. (hello hearing loss !).
      A single 12 in a 1 cu/ft box would probably be lighter than a pair of 8's and it would perform better... All else being equal

Also, I have not been able to ever find any evidence that bass contributes to hearing loss I had an argument years back and boy I tried to prove that point with some scientific study... Nothing of substance was found

perhaps a center channel,
      You would need some serious processing power to make this work. It better to k.i.s.s. Front speakers and a sub is all you need
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
      A single 12 in a 1 cu/ft box would probably be lighter than a pair of 8's and it would perform better... All else being equal

Also, I have not been able to ever find any evidence that bass contributes to hearing loss I had an argument years back and boy I tried to prove that point with some scientific study... Nothing of substance was found

You would need some serious processing power to make this work. It better to k.i.s.s. Front speakers and a sub is all you need
      Anything over 100db is bad and this was not all bass.

for example "A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage." My system with only 100 watts produced 132 db's, forget when I had the 650 running at 2ohms.

I don't think you will get the crip hit from a 12 that you do with an 8..

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by cactuss4 View Post
      Anything over 100db is bad and this was not all bass.

for example "A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage." My system with only 100 watts produced 132 db's, forget when I had the 650 running at 2ohms.

I don't think you will get the crip hit from a 12 that you do with an 8..

Tory
      I'm just telling you what i had researched. sure... frequencies above 80 hz would be damaging to hearing. i just can't find anything about sub frequencies that would support hearing damage... and man... i tried. i hate being wrong.

the idea that an 8" sub is 'tighter' than a 12" is a myth. If the 12 is a quality sub, built correctly (not for spl), has proper power and in a sealed box.... it'll be just as accurate as an 8"... but it will be able to play lower and have i higher spl. These aren't my assumptions, they are proven many times over.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

A six channel amp, 3 way components for the front, an electronic cross-over, and a mono sub amp would be clean and easy to set up from a good head unit. That gives you a dedicated channel for each speaker and is the old school formula for competition stereos (not sound-off stereos). Should play any kind of music you like and sound good to people who listen to music through their stereo rather than listening to their stereo through the music.

Subs are kind of a "how low do you want to reproduce" question. JL Audio's compact enclosure subs do extremely well. I currently have an 8" in my Wrangler, which is great with the top on. With it off I have a 10" in a sealed box for supplement.

First thing to ask is what is the budget on this system? Also will the car have sound deaded and how much of it? How easy of an install do you want it to be? If ease is what your after then look at a 5-ch amp with a set of comp speakers and a 12" sub in a fiberglass ported enclosure. You could bridge the 1/2 and 3/4 ch to make it a 3-ch amp for more power to the front speakers. ( old school trick )
      1972 Camaro ( my retirement money hole )
      1985 GMC ( future plan pro tour build for the wife )
      1992 Isuzu pup bagged, bodydrop, shaved everything
      2013 GMC Single cab 4/7 drop

I plan to seriously insulate the car and to put some decent mufflers on it. I think I can keep the interior heat down and make it a comfortable ride. I'd more worried about that than the weight of it all.

I don't really have a budget or number in my head yet. I'm just trying to do it as reasonable cheap as I can. I'm thinking probably a 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers and maybe a couple of 10's under the package tray in a box.
      Larry Callahan

Light and cheap sound system: a 100-pound hitchhiker with a harmonica. They're plentiful in Hollywood, and they are easily removed for a track event...

I just purchased the same head unit that Larry did. I plan on putting it in the Volvo project I am doing right now that has a thread in the projection section. I have a question about the speakers that would work well in the car. I was planning some sort of component speakers like Focal or JL Audio but would like some recommendations. I likely will have a single/double 10" sub or maybe 8". The interior of the car will be built from scratch by Tracy at The Recovery Room so I don't need specific speakers for the car. I will let him build around what I want or need. Do you guys have some specific speaker recommendations. I am willing to pay up to $800 for the component speakers. I will then need to get an amp (5 channel), rear speakers and some subs. Thanks for the help and sorry to hijack the thread but your initial question was very close to mine and you have the exact same head unit.

With that budget I would honestly skip jl. They make awesome subs and amps but I've never been impressed with their components. Since; it seems, that you're going "big" with this build I would highly recommend going active and get ting some 7"-8" mids up front and a large format tweeter. Also, it would be a crime if you didn't go active.

With that in mind I would suggest getting the jbl ms-8 processor. This processor has an auto tune function that will get you results in 10 mins that would take a professional a few months of continual tweaking. Well at least 90-95% of the way there. It'll run you about $450 (street prices) but we can make up the difference with choosing a less expensive amp and raw drivers.

For the drivers. The seas w18nx is unbelievable and you will be hard pressed to beat i. (This is what I'm currently running). It's a 7" mid and will reach down nicely into the midbass frequencies. For the tweeters you have a few options. You can run a ribbon tweeter or a large format tweeter. Vifa has an amazing line of tweeters that run under $50 each (x25) series. The ribbon tweeters are supposed to be amazing but installation will be a bitch. They are large and need to be aimed correctly.

For subs... This is the least important decision you'll need to made. People focus WAY too much energy here. Personally I run Tc sounds subs but they are in the midst of some restructuring and they are hard to find. I would look into image dynamics or dayton audio for subs.

For your amps. Power is key. If you can afford zapco is run those (that's what I have) but honestly you can get pioneer (gm) series for a fraction of the cost and will be hard pressed to tell the difference once you get that ms-8 set up. Just make sure you get plenty of power for those mids and tweets
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

All good info guys. Thanks.

Now I need to find out what "active" means. LOL!
      Larry Callahan

Something I did do was order up the Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone to help with auto tuning the head unit.

Name:  Pioneer_CD-MC20._w2.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  143.5 KB
      Larry Callahan

Oh. Sorry. Going active means that you would need a channel on your amp for each driver. The benefit of this is that you get to use a processor to dial in the exact frequencies that the driver will play. It will let you interactively alter that based on your particular vehicle and driver choice. That is only the tip of the iceberg though. When you get a processor you can individually eq each driver, you can adjust the timing that the signal will play as well. The timing feature (time alignment) will let you have your tweeters up higher (raising your perceived soundstage) and also not giving you any weird anomalies that would occur because your tweeters are closer to your head. This is done by delay the signal so they arrive at your head at the same time.

Your equipment selection is responsible for about 30-40% of the sound quality of your system. Installation and tune will make or break a system.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Wait. What head unit do you have?
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Help me design a stereo system for MotiV8r

I think we are both running a Pioneer 8100 NEX head unit. Would you run a pair of 8", pair of 10" or just one of one of those size subs?

I really appreciate your help and I am sure Larry does as well!

The Pioneer Darreld and I are running have a built in auto tube that will do that with the microphone I purchased. It may not work as well as a real pro might but I'm sure it will probably work well enough for me.

That is like you say we run the correct amp. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kicker product line.
      Larry Callahan

Hmm. If your headunit can run in network mode then you can run active. If not then speaker placement will be a lot more important. Your time alignment would not be able to delay the tweeters separately from the mid. If it can. Then you're golden.

If it can, your best option is to lower the soundstage and mount the tweeters near the mids in the kick panels. This will also mean you would need to go with a passive component system. The hot gear right now are morels or HAT (hybrid audio technologies). Probably leaning toward the hats a bit more.

As for subs. I suggest a single 12 unless you don't have the space. The 12 will play just as clean as the 10 and 8 but will play a bit lower and have more output. On top of that, a single 12 will be cheaper than a dual 10 or 8.

Kicker will work. Any name brand will do a good job. Just make sure they are powerful enough.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com