Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Custom Build Shop

I am a rookie so please be gentle. When it comes to having a shop build a PT 69 camaro with LS engine. What should one expect to pay? Are there any shops on the west coast folks have had good experiences with? Currently I don't have a car so cost of that would need to be included.

69 camaro straight body - 10-15k
      Paint & body work - ?
      Engine & Drive Train t56 6speed
      New subframe
      Suspension
      brakes
      tires & wheels
      mini tubbed
      smooth firewall
      A/C

Quote Originally Posted by D-$ View Post
      I am a rookie so please be gentle. When it comes to having a shop build a PT 69 camaro with LS engine. What should one expect to pay? Are there any shops on the west coast folks have had good experiences with? Currently I don't have a car so cost of that would need to be included.

69 camaro straight body - 10-15k True- no suspension, wiring, fuel system, wheels/tires, etc.
      Paint & body work - ? 8-30k depending on how much you want. 2k if you do it yourself (I did).
      Engine & Drive Train t56 6speed zz4- 6-7k, ZZ383 8-10k, LS or LSX 12-30k TKO600- $2500 T56 $3-4000
      New subframe DSE 7k, standard front with DSE speed kit 3- 4.5k
      Suspension Rear 4 link- 2.5k, IRS 7-12k
      brakes Big discs? 4k, smaller 2-3k
      tires & wheels 3k-10+k
      mini tubbed Tubs $350 What a deal!
      smooth firewall Welding- $400 Bodywork and paint- $500-$1000
      A/C
      Vintage air $1500 +/_

This is like asking what a house will cost. VERY difficult, but the one thing I know from experience is that it will be 1.5-2x your highest prediction. I guessed at the above costs, but remember- you will change your mind and redo things and you will have MANY small costs that will add up. IMHO, there is no question it is MUCH cheaper to buy a "done" car than to have one built, even if you have to change things. If there is any question whether you can afford what you want to do, don't do it. There are as many unfinished projects as finished ones. Labor can easily be nearly as much as the parts if done right. A car like the nicest ones here is nearly impossible to have done by professionals for under six figures. I did mine myself and it cost nearly that.Here's a link to a limited version of my build: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=notata

I think the guy for you to talk to would be Vince at Meanstreets Performance:

http://mspfabrication.com/

He is on this forum. User name MrQuick. He has several levels of build including what he calls his Blue Collar builds for regular folks with limited budgets.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

My build is similar to what you want. Shop built, aftermarket subframe and rear suspension, wheels, pain and body and so on. I would say a rough guess would be 40-50k on the low side and the sky is the limit on the high side. Good paint and body can be 10k on the low side. You can easily have 25k or more in parts in a PT style build and again that is on the low side. Things like wiring harnesses, cooling and fuel systems, new rear ends, brakes all start to add up pretty quickly.
      Stephen

I re-read the rlodad post and his rough numbers are pretty spot on. It all adds up. I had to define my parts budget. As far as the labor, the more I want to do with body mods, the more it will cost.
      Stephen

very good feedback. This site is so informative and everyone is very helpful. I think at the end of the day I want to build from the ground up and worry less about the esthetics and more about the function. Engine, sub-frame, etc... over interior and paint. I can always spend more money as time goes judging by what I read on here.

Buy a car and slowly change it. I have a 66 Lemans conv that I bought without a motor and trans. It now has a BBC 496 10:1 stroker crank 230 236 515 lift comp roller cam. Every thing in the motor is new. It has a center force flywheel and trick flow balancer. A lakewood bellhousing and a TKO600 5 speed trans with a hydraulic clutch and heavy duty crossmember. Rear end is a Ford 9" posi with aftermarket axles.Front and rear suspension was rebuilt and has Heidt 2" dropped spindles and adjustable upper control arms and Hotchkis lowering springs. Wilwood 12.88 rotors and 6 pistons front and 4 piston rear brakes with a Wilwood master cylinder. Hooker comp headers 2 1/8" with a complete pypes exhaust system and rear chrome outlets. The AAW wiring harness and a Vintage Air conditioning and a 'front runner system mounting 100 amp alt and detroit power streering unit. Dual fans on an alumiumn radiator. Fuel system includes a tank inc gas tank, fuel pump and a holly HP EFI mounted on a old school tunnel ram with 2 4BBL throtle bodies and a gasser style air filters. Ansen sprint wheels 17" wheels and performance tires. A Dakota Digital dash and a Custom sounds radio and small amp and a 4 speakers. The car still has a stock interior and body. In the last 3 years some rust has popped out on the doors. It still has not been painted. The top also has to be replaced but I have replaced the motor , cylinders and hoses. Bumpers need rerchromed and a lot more to do. There is almost no labor on the car as I did it all except the motor. Small stuff kills you. Nuts and bolts, window regulator rollers, dynamat,misc adds up FAST! You will not believe what some of the little parts cost. Window rollere $6.95 each x 3 or more per window. I have some where just under $50,000 invested in parts and original purchase. I am retired and this keeps me alive. BUT I WISH I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FINISHED CAR AND SLOWLY CHANGED IT HERE AND THERE AND ENJOYED IT FOR LAST 2 1/2 to 3 YEARS. Just about every thing done to the car has had to be redone at least twice as some thing added means you have to re do something to make it work. JUST SAYIN.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

He is on this forum. User name MrQuick. He has several levels of build including what he calls his Blue Collar builds for regular folks with limited budgets.

Don
      Vince is a good guy, I have dealt with him a few times and he is also great for giving advice. He is crafty when it comes to saving a person a few bucks. I have noticed on some of his builds. My concern would be more so of who not to take it to... Search around the forums and get a budget. Good luck

69 camaro straight body - 10-15k
      Paint & body work - ?
      Engine & Drive Train t56 6speed
      New subframe
      Suspension
      brakes
      tires & wheels
      mini tubbed
      smooth firewall
      A/C
      $200,000-250,000 to do it right. A little less if you don't add the bling. Things like billet hood hinges, billet running lights, billet....

I highly recommend Best of Show Coachworks in Escondido. Talk to D!ck. He's the owner. They've built many top 69 Camaro PT cars on the road. Including mine, Bad Penny, One Lap, Matt A's and Greg's 69's...

Good luck. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
      $200,000-250,000 to do it right. A little less if you don't add the bling. Things like billet hood hinges, billet running lights, billet....
      That's a realistic number for a push-button car with new drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, interior, and paint.

$50K ground-up builds with professional labor do not exist.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 07-21-2015 at 06:59 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      That's a realistic number for a push-button car with new drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, interior, and paint.

$50K ground-up builds with professional labor do not exist.
      Damn, I guess I will keep hacking away in my backyard shop. I thought $75-100k could get you a nice car.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Let's do some math.

Let's assume a labor rate of $75/hour. Let's be optimistic and put the build at 600 hours. (200 hours for paint, 100 for interior, 300 for build itself). Rack up the parts: front sub-frame: $7500. Rear suspension $6000. Brakes: $4500. Wheels: $5000. Tires $1500. Seats: $4000. Engine/harness/front drive: $12000. Transmission: $3000. Paint materials: $2000. Plumbing hose, ends, adapters: $3000. Fuel tank: $3000. Car itself: $15000. BCM/Stereo/Gauges: $7500. A/C: $2000. Stuff I forgot: $10000.

Round number is $100k in parts. 600 * 75 = 45k in labor. That's $150K already, assuming a solid body to start, ordinary prices, and that I didn't forget anything. Put in some custom paint or bodywork or carbon fiber, step up to an LSA or LS9 engine, wrap the interior in leather, do power windows, locks and trunk, go nuts with the stereo, etc.

Anyway, $200K is pretty easy to do for a top-end car with all new brand-name parts. That's been my experience over more than a few builds.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 07-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Let's do some math.

Let's assume a labor rate of $75/hour. Let's be optimistic and put the build at 600 hours. (200 hours for paint, 100 for interior, 300 for build itself). Rack up the parts: front sub-frame: $7500. Rear suspension $6000. Brakes: $4500. Wheels: $5000. Tires $1500. Seats: $4000. Engine/harness/front drive: $12000. Transmission: $3000. Paint materials: $2000. Plumbing hose, ends, adapters: $3000. Fuel tank: $3000. Car itself: $15000. BCM/Stereo/Gauges: $7500. A/C: $2000. Stuff I forgot: $10000.

Round number is $100k in parts. 600 * 75 = 45k in labor. That's $150K already, assuming a solid body to start, ordinary prices, and that I didn't forget anything. Put in some custom paint or bodywork or carbon fiber, step up to an LSA or LS9 engine, wrap the interior in leather, do power windows, locks and trunk, go nuts with the stereo, etc.

Anyway, $200K is pretty easy to do for a top-end car with all new brand-name parts. That's been my experience over more than a few builds.
      I guess we better keep this thread away from our wives or our hobby (not to mention a few other things) might get cut short...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Don
      I guess we better keep this thread away from our wives or our hobby (not to mention a few other things) might get cut short...
      What thread?

John Parsons

Just thought I'd mention I saw a complete takeout CTSV motor and trans on the CTSV owners forum for 15k
      73 Javelin AMX

Cost (the money you spend building the car) will be the LEAST of your worries as it appears you "may" understand the cost of building the 69 Camaro you desire.

The BIG ISSUE you will face will be the people YOU hire who DO NOT do what they say they will do when they say they will do it! That alone adds cost to your build!

Expect 2+ years of MISERY with a poor choice!!!

How do you avoid all that MISERY AND EXPENSE?

Carefully choose the shop to build your car based upon the RECENT experiences others have had with that particular shop. DO NOT choose the shop you will use based strictly on price. You WILL get what you pay for! In most cases be prepared to transport a long distance as the better shops are rarely local.

The top notch shops are just that for a reason. Quality of work? Yes! Fabrication abililty? Yes! All the other hand holding that goes with building a car? Yes! Most importantly they complete their work in timely manner AS AGREED and yes these folks charge accordingly for their services!

The biggest mistake YOU can make building your Camaro COULD the first decision YOU make when YOU choose the shop to do the build on your Camaro. Search this site alone for all the war stories then search this site for all the success stories. The same shops continue to rise to the top of all the success stories. The same can be said for the parts you purchase for the build.

Choose wisely my friend!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I have never been more encouraged and discouraged at the same time :( Thank you for the feedback.

I have never been more encouraged and discouraged at the same time :( Thank you for the feedback.
      Get with Vince, he will set you up within your budget.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
      Site no longer loads and our conversation seemed to have been cut short (no followup after a few emails) So not sure what is going on there.

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Here is a post by the car owner TODAY from another thread on this site about the Lack Of Progress on his car build.

QUOTE:

"I have had a bit of a delay in my build. The guy that was doing the metal work on my car left the company and moved to another place down the road. :( They have been working on the hood this past month repairing areas around the hinge mount and attaching a hood scoop. The rear fender arches have been tack welded but still need completed.

I was talking with the shop owner yesterday and it looks like there is another year of work to do on the car. Just about every panel is having pretty significant modifications done to it and that takes time. I am a little frustrated since there hasn't been too much done in the past year. I can see this extending another 2 years. I need to evaluate options to make this project progress a little faster. I think I will take the car home and do some of the work myself."

ENQUOTE

HERE is a real world example POSTED TODAY of why the choice of the shop YOU choose to do the work is so IMPORTANT!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com