Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1962 falcon instrument panel

So here's my conundrum: I am building my 62 falcon and I don't feel the stock instrument panel will suffice. I have very little faith it will give me the information or the accuracy I want.

Stock Instrument Panel

The gauges I need are as follows
      tachometer
      speedometer
      fuel level
      oil pressure
      water temp
      boost

Most guys in this situation will just make a new panel with holes in it for universal gauges. There's nothing wrong with that, but I really don't like the aesthetics of that method. I don't think the instrument panel shape lends itself well to having several round gauges in it. When you take that approach I feel it screams "parts catalog" and I'd like to avoid that. I'm going for a quasi-factory look. I want it to look as if in an alternate universe, this could have been factory.

Common methods for adding gauges

So I tried to find a way to integrate all these into my dash with a congruent design. I think I'll mount a small to medium sized tach on the steering column. At first I wasn't too keen on this idea, but I think it looks period correct to mount a tach on the column so long as the face matches the instrument panel decently well.
      The 100 mph speedo is not sufficient, and I think a 140 mph speedo would add functionality without overdoing it. I could have a new electronic speedometer unit embedded into the panel. The temp gauge on the right would be replaced by a prominent boost gauge. I will probably run about 20# boost, so I think a 30# gauge where the needle points straight up at 20# would be nice. On the left I want a tri gauge as seen on vintage Porsche dashes. This would contain fuel level, water temp and oil pressure. voltage would be monitored by an idiot light.

Concept instrument panel

What are your thoughts? Have any of you had something like this done? I hear Classic Instruments can do it, are there any other vendors?
      Attached Images Attached Images        

I agree with you, the "concept" panel looks the best. Also check out Dakota Digital as they just released Falcon clusters.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd984.htm
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      I agree with you, the "concept" panel looks the best. Also check out Dakota Digital as they just released Falcon clusters.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd984.htm

Yeah I checked those out and they are definitely not the look I'm going for. Dakota does have some really good looking universal clusters http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd878.htm, but they also don't match my theme.

Autometer has a custom shop you might want to get a hold of and see what their options are. i hear they can do some nice custom pieces.

i know this is an old thread but wondering how you come out on this im getting ready to start a 62 squire wagon pt project

Quote Originally Posted by creamydime View Post
      i know this is an old thread but wondering how you come out on this im getting ready to start a 62 squire wagon pt project
      Thread resurrection: I have decided to make my own gauge internals based on an arduino micro-controller. I currently have a working prototype, but have been busy with other aspects of the car.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com