Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

head light knobe 66 Elco

I am interested in changing my factory knobs on my El Camino to the ridetech billet, i know the wiper will come off as i see a set screw, but its the headlight that is confusing. i know how to remove the knob with the rod but how do i remove the knob from the rod?

Country Flag: United States
      How flexible are you? Got good sense of feeling in your hands? Cause you're going to have to get on your back, and reach up behind the dash, and reach the backside of the headlight switch. On the side of the switch, perpendicular to the shaft of the knob there's a little button. You have to hold this in, while pulling the knob out. There might be some messing around with pulling, and twisting and such, but it will pull out. And if you aren't going to immediately replace the knob, disconnect the battery as your lights will most likely end up on the on position.

Name:  WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  153.5 KB
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      How flexible are you? Got good sense of feeling in your hands? Cause you're going to have to get on your back, and reach up behind the dash, and reach the backside of the headlight switch. On the side of the switch, perpendicular to the shaft of the knob there's a little button. You have to hold this in, while pulling the knob out. There might be some messing around with pulling, and twisting and such, but it will pull out. And if you aren't going to immediately replace the knob, disconnect the battery as your lights will most likely end up on the on position.

Name:  WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  153.5 KB
      I understand how to do that , i want to remove the black knob from the shaft only

bump

You have to bust the old one apart. It was a hard press fit from before, it won't come off in one piece. Not sure how the new replacement will fit onto the shaft, sounds like a fun ordeal.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

The American Autowire Classic Update comes with a new headlight switch. It has a longer shaft that you cut to fit. I comes with a billet knob with a set screw to hold it in place. You may be able to buy the shaft and knob from them. If nothing else they may sell you the whole switch. I have contacted them directly about getting spare connectors before. They are very good guys to deal with and are willing to help in any way they can. They would likely sell you the parts you need or steer you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
      The American Autowire Classic Update comes with a new headlight switch. It has a longer shaft that you cut to fit. I comes with a billet knob with a set screw to hold it in place. You may be able to buy the shaft and knob from them. If nothing else they may sell you the whole switch. I have contacted them directly about getting spare connectors before. They are very good guys to deal with and are willing to help in any way they can. They would likely sell you the parts you need or steer you in the right direction.
      thanks ill check that out....

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com