Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Engine Advice Needed

Hey guys I'm in some need of some advice on how to proceed with my project, I have a roller 69 Camaro that is in need of a complete drivetrain. Given that I'm still a college student I have a pretty tight budget and my first priority is updating the suspension and getting it rolling.

Eventually I would like to have an LS engine, but I don't want to have the project sitting for years saving up for a nice LS swap if I can get the car on the road with something else for much cheaper.

What do you guys think the cost difference between a basic carbed engine vs the LS swap would be?
      From what I've been reading I think going the LS route would run me at least $6-7k, whereas a carbed small block and a TH350 would be $2500, do these numbers seem right or are there things I'm missing?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,

Ian

Of course the biggest factor is budget. You can build a nice LS motor though for less then 6-7k. Plus you can slap a carb on them as well. I don't think it's unreasonable to find a 6.0L GM engine from one of those pick and pull places for not too much. Plus it's very easy to get a th350 mated to any GM LS engine. But the LS swap is what is popular. Suppliers know this. And consumers know this. You could probably find a 350/350 setup the easiest and the cheapest bottom line.

Absolute cheapest option will be to pick up a 305/350 and build it. I grabbed a good 305 roller cam disassembled long block for $100, sold the entire top end, will use the cam for a lamp or something and basically had the 305 shortblock and got paid $50 for it. Bought a complete re-ring kit, L98 heads, 93-95 LT1 cam, carbed intake, full roller rockers, tall valve covers, new water pump and oil pump, HEI dizzy, everything to build out a 300hp, 310ft/lb 305 for right about $1000. 350s would probably cost very little if anything more. I wanted a 305 for other reasons, so that's what I built.

Turbo350s and 700R4s are CHEAP these days, I am able to re-use the one out of my blazer with the V8, but they can be pulled from any number of late model trucks, and cars for next to nothing, or had with a fresh rebuild for a few hundred bucks.

LS swaps are GREAT, but they are still expensive, sure you can get the engine cheap from junkyards now, but you still need another $3K in parts to get it fitting, running and driving.
      Robert R.
      1988 S10 blazer 5.0L SBC 700R4 body off build.
      1991 S10 Blazer 4.3L too low daily.
      1975 Cutlass Salon currenlty 350/th350
      Stupidity should be painful.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com