Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2014 Camaro SS swap into 1968 camaro

I recently found and thinking of purchasing 2014 salvaged camaro ss and was wondering what parts from the 2014 I can put on my stock 1968 camaro 350. Would it be possible to place the brake and rear end components on the stock subframe of a 1968? What are the pros and cons of the swap?

2014 Camaro SS swap into 1968 camaro

You can put anything on it, but it'll need a bit of work. The 2014 has a removable rear cradle that will not line up with any of the 68 unibody rear rails.. So you'll need to fab something. The only thing that may be available and bolt-on is brake brackets if you were to swap the calipers over.

It's more cost effective to get a rear suspension or full chassis than to pay someone to fabricate all the parts needed for the conversion .. But if you're doing it yourself and have some time to spare then there ya go.
      I totally understand the cool factor though, just trying to shed some light

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Many different IRS swaps have been done over the years by various people, but not a project for just anybody. The new camaro is a few inches wider, so you may need to go as far as custom widened rear quarters to pull the rear swap off.
      front suspension components wouldn't be a feasible swap. May be able to modify & incorporate some interior stuff, but that'll be a skilled job also.
      For reference, West Coast Customs TV show a few years back wanted to do a 1st gen upper body swap onto a 5th gen floor & chassis. With the with difference, they ended up purchasing a gto to use instead.
      Kore 3 may be a source for brake swap brackets.

DISCLAIMER:This is all entirely speculation!
      Heres a link to a thread where AME engineer matt jones (silver69camaro) was selling off rear IRS parts from a 5th gen SS cradle. He lists the parts he re-used in the AME subframe.
      "The diff, axles, knuckles, and brakes are being used for an Art Morrison IRS for a '64 Stingray. My '69 Camaro also has the same IRS"
      http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368617
      I figure you could do the same you'd just have to call them and see what pricing would be for the subframe and arms and what ever else you didn't need. I know they sell the front clip bare
      You could prbly use the t6060 trans and driveshaft since you use the stock diff..Maybe shortened. Thats the reason a lot of people shy away from the stock T6060 trans is the CV joint on the end. I know I read somewhere that driveshaft shop make a special order one with a CV on one end and a yoke on the other but its like $1000 or something..I think parsonsJ has one
      FLyinbye makes brackets to bolt the SS fronts on stock spindles
      http://flynbye.com/catalog/i220.html
      It might be strange tho to run an IRS with a stock spindle front end tho..Maybe the flyinby brackets work with tru-turn?
      Someone braver than I should blaze this trail..Being able to fully utilize a wrecked 5th gen has been a curiosity of mine ever since I read that post on camaro5 about 8 months ago. The AME rear sub would seem to make it a bit easier.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com