Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Trusted body shops in the Bay Area (East bay (Tri valley) area. how to pick one?

I'm not sure how i'm going to start and if I'm going to start, my car is a 5' car and once I'm done with the suspension etc, it will be time to consider digging under the paint etc. I know the floor has 2 patches, 1 clean one not so clean, but it may be nothing to many here, but for me, it makes me angry So I would be looking for a floor, but would be interested in getting an idea what else is needed, just so I know before saying yes, that I have an idea on costs. Would think someone that is used to doing restorations or work on classics they would know and would not need a torn down car to make an initial questimate?

I think I have to have the glass pulled because some jack off put so much window goop that its all over around the windows. I want to be happy with the car and I know that I can't until I get the body worked out. I bought 3 point seat belts but the surface rust on the floor made me so angry I buttoned up the car and put the belts back in a box .

I just need to know that I can trust who is doing the work and that there is a $$ in mind going into it, understanding that may move, but I hear horror stories when folks go to pick up their car and find their bill is 2*+ more.. Just never had to work with a body shop/restoration place before..

Thanks
      Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Might be presumptuous of me in my first post but here I go....

If you are interested I am a stay at home Dad that has years of experience, a fairly open schedule and reasonable hourly rates. I am located in Paso Robles a few hours south of you but I will be in your area on the 15th.

I'd be happy to take a look at what you have going on and get you a better idea of what you are in for when you run it to a shop. Send me a private message if you are interested in my help. It would be my pleasure.

I'm currently restoring a customers 67 SS so I'm intimately familiar with the model.

Geoff

If something were to happen to my car, I would start at Gilbert's body & paint in Hayward
      I have seen their work and I trust them.
      1969 Firebird 455HO, TH400, 12 Bolt 3:42, 17X9 Snowflakes w/ 275/40R17 Nitto's, Hugger Orange Imron, Aug 1987 Car Craft cover car.

Quote Originally Posted by Quikbrd View Post
      If something were to happen to my car, I would start at Gilbert's body & paint in Hayward
      I have seen their work and I trust them.
      Thank you sir, guess I would have to call since it appears to be a normal bodyshop/paint vs one that does restorations (I'm so new to this idea of restoration that it seems kind of specialized, replacing a floor, vs replacing a fender type of thing).

Livermore, CA
      American:
      For Sale

Here's who I recommend.

http://www.meanstreetsperformance.com/about.html

Doesn't hurt to give them a call...ask for Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
      Here's who I recommend.

http://www.meanstreetsperformance.com/about.html

Doesn't hurt to give them a call...ask for Vince.
      Thanks will do..

Livermore, CA
      American:
      For Sale

Vince doesn't paint though.

Locally your hard pressed to find an affordable/reliable paint shop as all the good ones around the tri-valley are almost all collision shops. This is an expensive area to do business, i run a small shop (not body, but glass) in Dublin and the clientele (being non realistic on how much things cost) and employees pay/expenses make it non-affordable for most (hence the collision shops, people bring em in, repair, back out=cash flow).

My car was painted here in Livermore, it only took 8 years for a mediocre paint job (7 on a 10), but it was a friend and i value the friendship more than the paint job and i wasn't in a hurry. I wish i got a better job though...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com