Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

67 Pontiac lemans

Have 326 have a chance to get 428 need to be rebuilt are parts hard to fine.

I would jump all over it. Plenty of piston options for it.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Slap in some h beams and forged pistons, if budget allows some Edelbrock heads and intake and good headers.
      Dont get crazy on the cam,,,, reasonable duration and moderate lift and tune the crap out of it.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

As MonzaRacer said a set of forged rods is basically mandatory. There are no hard to get parts for the 428.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

If you're doing a rebuild with new internals, save your money and buy anice early 400 block with a 4" stroke forged aftermarket crank. A better all around setup with the smaller mains, stronger crank, but it's the same bore/stroke. Most guys want a mint for true 428 engines.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      If you're doing a rebuild with new internals, save your money and buy anice early 400 block with a 4" stroke forged aftermarket crank. A better all around setup with the smaller mains, stronger crank, but it's the same bore/stroke. Most guys want a mint for true 428 engines.
      Aside from the bearing size, what makes you lean towards the 400? Everything I have read has been pro 428, saying that it is a beast of an engine when done properly. Sounds like it likes the revs like a 400 but has the torque down low like the 455. But since it was produced for only a couple years it isn't nearly common/popular as the 400/455.

Joshdub, you are correct 428 is a better choice. It is common to Put a 428 crank in a 400 block to make it a 428 without any boring. 400 blocks are common & 428 blocks are far fewer. You just get the benefits of the smaller mains both in strength & oiling.

400 blocks are the easiest way for Pontiac guys to get to make the larger motor they couldn't find like 428 & 455's. Kits easily stroke them 428-501.

Save for a good set of aluminum heads. Get the best the first time.

400=3.0 mains 428,455 = 3.25" mains, thrust bearing is different width so not a drop in a 400 block unless a dedicated 3.0 main aftermarket crank.

428 is a good size-a little less drivetrain killing bottom end TQ the 455s have and a little more than the 400s have. Like Nick said 428 usually go for a premium.If you can get it for a decent price grab it. Several companies offer forged dish pistons for them now so not hard to come by. You can get forged rods for almost as cheap as magging,new bolts and resizing your cast rods.

I have a billet 4.0 crank for a 400 block to make a 428 to put under my RAIV heads.

Heads all depends what the project plan is they usually come with average D port iron heads. Will need more than the factory size dish to use them and pump gas.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO