Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help with engine direction.

Ok guys its getting close to start putting the motor together but I need some advice. The motor my grandfather was building was originally intended for the strip but I am making it for the street. I don’t know if I should just get a new cam and rollers, or keep it and get a better torque converter. The cam is mechanical and I figure it would her easier with a hydraulic. The specs of the motor are as follows:

Cam L88:
      .540/.560 Lift
      334/364 Duration

Pistons TRW L2337:
      .30 over
      12.5:1

Heads:
      Casting Number 6272990
      454 71-94
      2.19/1.88
      118cc Rectangular Port 325cc Intake
      Open Chamber

Torque Converter:
      GM23
      2600 Stall

I know if i keep everything on the motor I am going to need a better torque converter but if I change the cam I wont need to. I saw someone on another forum did the same heads and pistons together and got a 10.6:1 compression with a 4.345x039 head gasket but thats also with unknown cam. Any advice or opinions?

Curious if you guys have racing gas at your service stations in Arizona? 12.5 to 1 is a bit much compression for a street motor. Years ago I ran a similar combination on a 30 over 427 that was about 10 to 1 with a 3000 stall converter and a solid lift cam. It ran pretty good.
      Dante'

No racing gas at service stations here. Hahaha The motor was originally intended for strip but I am using it for street, just seeing what my options are.
      BTW it's a 396

for the street (pump gas) youll need to drop that compression ratio, with that you'll need to change the cam, everything needs to work together. i just did something similiar with my big block, i ended up keeping my 11 to 1 compression because i have aluminum heads and i used a hyd roller for the cam. with the right cam specs you can get away with a little higher compression on the street.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com