Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Kirkey seats in a street car

Trying to figure out my options for seats. For years I ran corbeau fixed back seats and like how they felt in the car. But I got tired of the look and threw the bench seat back in. Thinking about hitting up some autox soon and the bench will not cut it at all. I'm looking at these Kirkey seats since they may look more era correct than the corbeau seats I had. Has anyone run them?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...e-Class-Bucket

Im sure someone will chime in and point out a full containment seat is the best option blah blah... My plans are for mostly street miles with the occasional autox. No road course stuff at this time.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.
      Andrew Petty

Anyone?????
      Andrew Petty

Country Flag: United States
      Nothing to add, but do they require a harness bar? That could enter into your decision making. I like them and the pads they made for them on the ridetech 33 build
      Stephen

My thought was that I only plan on running a lap belt until I can properly cage the car in the future. I don't see an issue since the bucket seat linked would have to be safer than the stock bench.
      Andrew Petty

I would think if the stock seat had headrests it might be safer than the Kirkey in the event of an accident that might cause a whiplash type of injury. I have Kirkeys but they're the tall road race type.

That's a good point John. Looks like I will have to rethink this idea. May just have to go back to a set of Corbeau seats(kept the sliders).
      Andrew Petty

How about a set of Procar Rally seats with some Schroth 4 point ASM harnesses to keep you in place for auto-x? Sell them used if/when you cage the car.

Not a fan of how they look.

Right now on my list of options are

Corbeau Clubmans: They seem to be on the smaller side which is good(I'm 5'5, 120 pounds). Also they are a bit shorter which I think looks better in a street car. http://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/clubman.html

Corbeau Forza: A tick wider and taller then the clubman but would have support for my shoulders. I will likely add some additional padding to fit me anyways. A plus they come in blue. http://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/forza.html

Also in the back of my mind at the moment is the Spec Miata seat from Ultra Shield. Could order one to fit me and one a little larger for the passenger seat. Should be simple to mount to my existing corbeu mounts. https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/cata...Miata-Seat/161
      Andrew Petty

I have Corbeau GTS 2, and they are great.

This will be my next seat...
      http://www.sparcousa.com/product/chrono-road

My brother has these in his truck, and they really hold you in.

From my experience, what ever you do don't skimp out on the seat or safety restraints. . . Id never run just a lap belt because I enjoy not being paralyzed and those corbau seats just look cheap and uncomfortable.

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Last thing I plan on doing is skimping on saftey. But what's realsitic for a street car????? I see what you got for your car but how streetable is that? If you turn your head left your right can you fully see traffic with no blind spots? What about backing out of a parking spot? As to the lap belt remark you can't tell me this isn't a step in the right direction. Coming from a sloppy bench seat where you can slide around and the head rest is basically at the top of my shoulders, to seats that would control the body more and yes I do agree more than a lap belt is needed but what's a realistic option without a cage. There is no real solid pillar to tie into for a belt that goes arcoss the body. And the ones mounted to the roof(stock style) are a joke.

I don't mean this to come across combative, just conversation to move towards the best most realistic choice.
      Andrew Petty

I would get in touch with Ron Sutton. He helped me get the right style and size of seat for my 69 Firebird track/street car. That way you buy the right stuff the first time!
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      I would think if the stock seat had headrests it might be safer than the Kirkey in the event of an accident that might cause a whiplash type of injury. I have Kirkeys but they're the tall road race type.
      came here to post this..

took the words out of my head..

leaving satisfied.. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
      I would get in touch with Ron Sutton. He helped me get the right style and size of seat for my 69 Firebird track/street car. That way you buy the right stuff the first time!
      Thanks. What did go with?
      Andrew Petty

Sparco Evo's for me with 5-point Simpson belts...But I have a 10-point cage in my 69 firebird.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Quote Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
      Sparco Evo's for me with 5-point Simpson belts...But I have a 10-point cage in my 69 firebird.
      Thanks Joe. Checked them out in your build thread. They(and the whole freakin car) look great!
      Andrew Petty

Quote Originally Posted by 69Nova View Post
      Last thing I plan on doing is skimping on saftey. But what's realsitic for a street car????? I see what you got for your car but how streetable is that? If you turn your head left your right can you fully see traffic with no blind spots? What about backing out of a parking spot? As to the lap belt remark you can't tell me this isn't a step in the right direction. Coming from a sloppy bench seat where you can slide around and the head rest is basically at the top of my shoulders, to seats that would control the body more and yes I do agree more than a lap belt is needed but what's a realistic option without a cage. There is no real solid pillar to tie into for a belt that goes arcoss the body. And the ones mounted to the roof(stock style) are a joke.

I don't mean this to come across combative, just conversation to move towards the best most realistic choice.
      I have returned after a few months to respond!

I didn't read your post as combative at all, Your points are fantastic and correct but I have solutions. As for looking left and right I plan to run a wonky mirror set up on the top of the roll cage that has proven to work in my buddy race car/street car. I also solve the blind spot/backing up issue with a 180* wide view rear view camera and 10" screen that will be mounted on my dash (this will also help at the track and in traffic to see if anyone is attempting to overtake me If I were to change lanes. I prefer to run my full restraint seat with the FIA style cage I'm building so I don't "boo" my head and die lol

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Not sure what I will end up with in my project. I actually was thinking about this today. It looks like any move will open a huge can of worms. I think we all agree the bench seat needs to go. But unsure what route I will take. I need to figure out a complete package for a street car. Yours is defiantly a track/street.. Not the other way round.

Andrew Petty

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com