Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

DIY primer job to stop rust. Help!

Ok guys, I need help. When I bought my 72 Cutlass Supreme it had already been stripped down to 95% bare metal. Somebody added new quarter panels and they have already been sanded to a glass smooth feel with the rest of the car. The body is remarkably straight. The only major imperfections are 2 dime sized rust holes in the passenger A-pillar (originally a vinyl roof car) and a dent on the lower passenger door.
      I would add in pictures for reference BUT I cannot seem to get them to work on this site...

I want to get the car professionally painted but the nearest body shop that will do restoration work is 90 miles away & a 70 hour work week makes it difficult to shop around for estimates also Im pretty sure Im looking at a 4-5k paint job and that will take several months of saving before i can afford it.

The car has started to flash rust all over and I really want to sand the surface rust down and cover the whole car in primer for the time being but my option at the moment is an open shop and spray can primer. My question is what would you guys recommend for sanding down the light surface rust and Priming it?
      Start with 320 grit-then-400-then prime?? SHould I wet sand bare metal?? I was thinking of using Rustoleum epoxy primer and then a coat(or 2?) of light colored sanding primer on top of that? I want to paint the car Red & a single stage paint job is all i can afford right now so I dont want to have really dark layers of primer on the car.

I have ZERO body work experience so any input/tips/tricks/advice on how to go about this and what products to use are appreciated.

I don't think you want rattle can primer under your paint. It will have to be sanded off once you get it to a body shop. I would be inclined to leave it as is until it gets to a body shop. Either that or spray a decent quality epoxy primer over it once you sand it down.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

When I was looking to keep my El Camino from rusting away while saving for a paint job I got numerous suggestions to use an Epoxy Primer . It won't let contaminants or moisture through so you have plenty of time to save up . We used a 9 dollar paint gun from Harbor Freight to shoot it in a single car garage but be advised you will need to come up with some way to ventilate the garage without putting primer all over the neighborhood . If you watch just about any of the car shows you will notice that as soon as a car comes back from being stripped they will shoot it into an epoxy primer and then proceed . I shot mine in white just to see what the car would look like in that color .

I agree epoxy primer is really the only way to go. You don't need an expensive gun, just a cheap harbor freight gun will do the trick. I actually used summit racing epoxy primer and it sprayed on really nice and is pretty tough. I primered a few spots a little while back then had to go back and sandblast later. When I was sand blasting I went over some of the epoxy and it just roughed it up, didn't even take it off. If I had stayed on it with the sandblaster it would have come off but not easy.

Spraying epoxy may seem like a pain to go through right now it is well worth it.
      1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

So the general consensus seems to be that it's worth it to get a spray gun vs rattle can and mix up a couple gallons of Epoxy primer if I'm going to attempt this. Do I need more then one quote of epoxy? Or anything on top of the epoxy?

What about sanding the surface rust off? Am I right in thinking to hit it with 320 grit and then 400? Do I need to wet sand?

I will have to do some online shopping tomorrow for the gun and the primer since there is nowhere local to get these supplies

I scuff with 80 grit on a DA for good adhesion. Southern Polyurethanes sells good epoxy for a fair price. Use two coats. One gallon of epoxy and one gallon of activator should get you there.

Www.southernpolyurethanes.com

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I used 3/4 of a gallon of primer to do my entire El Camino with 2 coats on most of the car and 4 on the roof and hood . That includes the inside of the bed as well . I had 4 of the Harbor Freight guns sitting in the shop and just pulled one out and cleaned it up before using it . If I was to do it again I would buy the larger HF gun with the larger capacity pot on it just so I didn't have to spend so much time mixing waiting and filling the gun .

Epoxy primer over spray can primer!

But, which ever company you choose to buy from. Make sure to look up the product tech sheets for what you will be using. Primers, fillers, seam sealer, paint, clears. all of it. Read them and follow what they say. So your not wasting $$.

I'm just a rookie at body and paint. I got a deal on Matrix paints, And I'm happy with the end product.

Dhutton recommended SPI, and I have heard good things about them. So I looked up the tech sheets. Here is a link to them. The epoxy primer starts on page 7. Under the mix section, it says 30 Minute induction is recommended. it means to mix the 2 parts then wait 30 minutes then stir again prior to pouring in your gun and shooting. Make sure you do that to prevent problems.
      http://media.wix.com/ugd/8ced3e_08f9...1eac324437.pdf

Buy what you can afford, you can always sand it off later if need be.

And yes, you need to sand the car to bare metal again prior to spraying the epoxy.

Good Luck

Just curious, but has anyone tried the epoxy primer that Eastwood sells in an aerosol can that you puncture the button on the bottom of the can, shake and then spray? I got a couple when I needed to shoot a valance panel and seem to work out well. Just not sure how it compares when sitting for awhile. Might be expensive route for an entire car.

Shannon
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I scuff with 80 grit on a DA for good adhesion. Southern Polyurethanes sells good epoxy for a fair price. Use two coats. One gallon of epoxy and one gallon of activator should get you there.

Www.southernpolyurethanes.com

Don

Listen to the man ^^^^^^

Don't forget to neutralize the rust first. Otherwise all this work and money will be for nothing. When I first read the post my impression was light surface rust with a few holes. But....if there are holes then it is most likely more than surface rust.

Use a good acid wash to neutralize the rust. The majority of the light rust will go away. Once this stage is done follow Don's recommendations, 80 grit with a day and thier good epoxy.

Also remember that primer is porus so water will seep through over extend periods.
      Mat
      1988 Corvette, AKA "Betsy"

"May the Schwartz be with you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Matman3 View Post
      Don't forget to neutralize the rust first. Otherwise all this work and money will be for nothing. When I first read the post my impression was light surface rust with a few holes. But....if there are holes then it is most likely more than surface rust.

Use a good acid wash to neutralize the rust. The majority of the light rust will go away. Once this stage is done follow Don's recommendations, 80 grit with a day and thier good epoxy.

Also remember that primer is porus so water will seep through over extend periods.
      Do not apply SPI epoxy over an acid wash without checking with them. I am pretty sure they advise against it and it will fail.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Why?

As with any acid wash you have to neutralize it by dilluting it with water and let dry for a couple hours. Obviously, before you spray, the normal routine of cleaning with wax and grease remover and tacking it off with a tack rag but all that would be spelled out in the instructions included with the products.
      Mat

From SPI's epoxy tech sheet:

Precautions:

NEVER use SPI Epoxy over a Soda Blasted vehicle unless you call us first for proper neutralizing instructions.

NEVER use SPI Epoxy over Acid Etch/Wash Primers or Rust Converters. It will not work and we strongly suggest if you want to use a rust converter that you use the rust converters paint system instead of SPI.

Acid treatments should not be used unless you know the proper way to neutralize them, again call us first to be safe. Acid films can cause an adhesion loss.

We only recommend using Ospho’s acid treatment if you even need one.

If not handled properly the aforementioned issues can destroy a paint job and will result in an expensive mistake.

For bare metal or aluminum do NOT use any other cleaner except 700-1 for cleaning step number one and then 710-1 for cleaning step number two.

I stand corrected!
      PPG was that last wash I used and they recommend epoxy once neutralization and drying is complete.

Thanks for looking up the data sheet. I wouldn't want anybody destroying their paint because of me.
      Mat

Also remember that primer is porus so water will seep through over extend periods.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is only true of the Cheap primers in a can. Not Name brand 2k Epoxy primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post

I'm pretty sure this is only true of the Cheap primers in a can. Not Name brand 2k Epoxy primers.
      X2. Two good coats of a quality 2 part epoxy will last indefinitely.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

SPI epoxy torture test

1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I use Metalok epoxy primer. i was cleaning a area with lacquer thinner and rubbing the rag over the primer, it didn't touch it. not saying it
      wouldn't after a while but..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

From what I remember from the old car magazine articles, they were using(i believe, if I remember correctly) PPG DP series epoxy primers, even etching epoxing primers.
      I know of several cars using just this process, the owners have kept the surfaces up, repaired panels and repainted. Moderate fading was found. But on one car we had to do some serious sanding to open the pores of the primer, we hotcit with adhesion promoter, re-epoxied the car and top coated.
      So far we have seen no crazing or bubbles or other heavy film issues, so far.
      Only one car had issues, but it was from internal rust eating metal away from paint, up until the owner touched it the car looked fine. The paint film was pretty firm and was fairly pliable and resilient. But with no metal to adhere too it just pushed in.
      Car is now repaired and reprimed awaiting a choice of color.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com