Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Just ran my AAW classic update on my 69 Camaro and the car will crank but not turn over.

The LT1 was wired in with a painless harness and done by someone else, wasn't the best job but it ran..

I didn't mess with the painless harness much being that I really just ran lights and such...

The car had a new fuel pump a few years ago as that did go out, new opti a few years ago..

I get 40-43lbs or so at rail, and during crank it stays there and times drops a sec to 38. I get spark on the plugs, the injectors have power...
      I had it turn over briefly after I sprayed the throttle body but only tried it once..

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm going to keep looking for loose wires or grounds... My vat is grounded .. This car usually cranks better than my new truck!

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Tried a re learn procedure on the vats module i have.. No luck yet.

are the injectors being pulsed?
      they are ground controlled by the computer. any chance one of the computer grounds didnt get put back to ground?
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

Yes they are firing.

I have a lost low oil temp wire..maybe that is one reason it shuts down? It's a sensor right above the oil filter. Looking through the Manual and cannot find which pin it belongs to..

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Could it be signs of my vats module going out?

if your getting spark and the fuel pressure and injectors are firing, it should try to run. something doesnt add up here.
      71 maverick.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

Quote Originally Posted by kylewo0 View Post
      Could it be signs of my vats module going out?
      Is your problem temperature related at all? Is the car parked outside and how has the weather been?

Anyway, a bad ignition control module can create a problem like you're describing.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Do you have a VATS bypass on your wiring harness, or did you bypass VATS on your program?

Like Bryant said, if you've got fuel and spark something should be happening.

it was parked outside for half a year, covered. then once we built the house I moved it into the garage, ran good.. had some hiccups when you step on it but that wasn't anything new.

The water pump was leaking down low, slowly, so I replaced it 6 months ago. Car remained to run the same.

it has been sitting for atleast 6 months now while I was cleaning it up.

updates
      - new VAT for LT1. no change
      - new fuel filter. no change - did notice this was way over due, the gas coming out of the filter was yellowish, and if poured onto the concrete the gas would evaporate and leave what looked like filter residue...(
      -installed new fuel pump - no change - did notice it is louder, holds pressure as I crank it, unlike the old pump would drop.

@ Braynt it turns over briefly sometimes then its like something is shutting it down. most times it just cranks with out signs of turning.
      @ 79-TA will be researching ignition control modules , signs and symptoms and ways to check, thanks.

@ T-bone, I have vats bypass module, may be looking into a programmer one day.. It sounds like VATS.. yet I just placed a new module in and nothing is changing..

I did not do the swap originally, its hard working around other ppls work. I moved the wires 10 years ago under the dash with no issues, I don't see what has changed if it is something electrical.. I tested the VAT power wire, it is getting 5v with key on. Its grounded good..

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Today it nearly wanted to crank. , Tomm I'm going to restart and check ignition spark again and test light what I can .

Leaking water pump . . . always scary on an LT1 with the proximity to the optispark unit.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

1993 LT1 wont turn over

I know,(. Yet I'm getting good spark. The car has been sitting for I guess 6months.. So would the gas be the problem if I have a not so good seal on the gas cap? The car is old what can I say.)

I'm going to drain it and see? The gas smells bad but I would think it would still run.

Wouldn't think it would be the ICM, most ppl state it starts good cold and bad hot with ICM issues..

The plugs are old?

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Could be electrical issue but can't rule out anything... Thanks for ur responses tho

bad gas could definitely be your problem. my car sat for just 3 months and the car would barely run till i got fresh gas in. i can easily believe 6 month old or older gas could be the problem. if its yellow then its going really bad.
      71 maverick.

1993 LT1 wont turn over

Thanks guys, I agree Bryant. I'm going to drain it. That tanks been in there since 1969 too ha!

Good news tho, car started. Any guesses...
      Just talking over a beer and decided to check the ecm chip.. Just to maybe see the number to read what was programmed and make sure it didn't look bad.theclips were not even on it to think about it... Wonder who's job that was, they did this job10 plus years ago

It seemed loose, reinstalled it, car started right up.

Sorry for any inconvenience , I didn't think to check that as I didn't really touch it... Just goes to show

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com