Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

exhaust kit vs shop install

Hey there,

Im going to be needing exhaust on the car quite soon and I am trying to figure out what is best a kit from Summit and install it myself or find a shop around my area and have them install their own system?

What have most of you done?
      1970 Chevelle Malibu 350 "70 Hell"
      - UMI - Kore3 - LS1 4 wheel discs - Budnik

Country Flag: United States
      I used A Pypes kit from Summit. went together really easy.
      Joe Adams

Country Flag: Canada
      that's what I thought, around here shops want $1000.00 and from summit i can get a kit for around $400.00 and install it on a weekend.

Any other preferences from yall?
      1970 Chevelle Malibu 350 "70 Hell"
      - UMI - Kore3 - LS1 4 wheel discs - Budnik

Just be careful when ordering your kit. Most all kits are designed for long tube headers. They don't work with shorty style headers. If you buy stainless steel, make sure a shop near you can bend it (if you have shorty headers).
      Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Quote Originally Posted by daredvl22 View Post
      Just be careful when ordering your kit. Most all kits are designed for long tube headers. They don't work with shorty style headers. If you buy stainless steel, make sure a shop near you can bend it (if you have shorty headers).
      Ditto on that, since I was using the stock manifolds I had to buy the pipes for that also.
      Joe Adams

exhaust kit vs shop install

I'm in the process of finishing my exhaust system at home. I had the same dilemma as my local hot rod exhaust shop wanted $1500 to do the exhaust system and that was with me supplying the mufflers!?! Pretty sure he priced it so as to not have to do the job. I just bought the Pypes X pipe and the Hooker down pipes to match my headers. I did have to modify a few of the pipes to tuck under the car nicely, but a friend of mine can TIG weld the pipes back at a reasonable price. All said and done, I should be at $700 for a complete mandrel bent 409 SS exhaust system for my first gen Camaro.

Marc Battiste

1969 Camaro
      LY6/T56/12 Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by ih8z28s View Post
      I used A Pypes kit from Summit. went together really easy.
      Hey Joe, which kit did you use from Summit? was it a universal kit and did you get the one with the X-pipe, I needed to know the space between the X-pipe outlets, are they far apart or close together? I plan on using the Borla ProXS mufflers. I feel like doing the install myself, shops here in my neighborhood are really $$$. I need to make sure before I order the kit since I want to keep the exhaust close on both sides of the driveshaft. Thanks in advance.
      67 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com