Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

affordable steering wheels

Figured i would share this here...

i was searching for a steering of my preference and color for a good while. alot of the options were adding up to 400 - 500$!!!!

i just could not justify spending that much on a steering wheel and hub, then i came across Forever Sharp ..did my research all reviews seemed good, so i went ahead and ordered one. Out the door 120$ for everything i need!! Steering wheel, half wrap, and hub!!

check them out www.foreversharp.com

Cool, thanks. I couldn't find any bad reviews either and just ordered one too. $130 shipped due to 10% off.

Makes you wonder what the big savings is? I assume they're cnc'd in China and a little "assembly" done here as it says assembled in US. Would be awesome if actually cut here too though.

be careful certain things are not worth saving some money on versus your life....in autocross and on the road course often the wheel is placed under severe stress and the cheap Chinese/Taiwanese/Botswana wheels...look the part but are often made with softer cheaper steel ......hey! they have to cut the cost some where, so if it looks the same on the outside then the inside must be were they save money

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      be careful certain things are not worth saving some money on versus your life....in autocross and on the road course often the wheel is placed under severe stress and the cheap Chinese/Taiwanese/Botswana wheels...look the part but are often made with softer cheaper steel ......hey! they have to cut the cost some where, so if it looks the same on the outside then the inside must be were they save money

I agree but I did extensive research, found some user reviews but I won't stop there, when I get mine I will give it the gangsta lean test like your video lol

Awesome thank you

Country Flag: Finland
      i bought one from ever sharp also and really good quality and sturdy. i would recommend them to anyone!

Got my steering wheel yesterday...that was the fastest shipping ever! The quality is good too not cheap I highly recommend them

I have a Forever Sharp wheel as well. I picked it up after I installed a POS Grant for double the price that is flimsy like a wet paper plate.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

New Forever Sharp wheel here also. Looks very nice. Quick shipping and customer service. They noticed that the adapter I ordered was incorrect for the wheel in the order. They contacted me asking if I would like to change my order. Cannot beat that.

Bob

How is ordering from FS better than ordering directly from China via Alibaba/ ebay? These look like the wheels you'd find at autozone. No offense intended, but it seems pretty clear these guys just act as middlemen for Asian steering wheels.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I buy quality products, regardless of where they are made. Given the choice of domestic/imported, of course I'll pick domestic, even if it's slightly more expensive.

I tried Grant, not sure where it's made, it was garbage. The FS piece is much better, and in my opinion, looks better too.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

It is not my intention to turn this post into a P****ng match; however, it has been my experience that many of the U.S. made speed parts being marketed to the street rod are way overpriced. I have been very actively involved in oval track racing for the last 25yrs and have always been amazed at the price of items when marketed to the street rod or hot rod market. In example: I would see lower or upper a-arms for three times the prices that I would pay a very similar item for my race car.

I assume that the manufacturers in this market have made the assumption that the street rod guy was unaware of race car manufacturers selling similar or identical items much cheaper. With the advent of internet shopping and the crossover of pro-touring today, manufacturers face a much more open market. As a consumer, i will not pay double or triple the price just to have someone's name on it.

I realize that the steering wheels being discussed are being made in China. But I ask myself why do the big name manufactures feel that a fair market price for a similar item is 2 to 3 times what it can be had for elsewhere? We are not talking about an intricate part that must be manufactured to extreme tolerances here. It is a piece of aluminum with some holes drilled into it. I have never paid more than about $75 for an aluminum steering wheel for my race cars and they have never let me down.

I will step down off from my soap box now.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ford396 View Post
      It is not my intention to turn this post into a P****ng match; however, it has been my experience that many of the U.S. made speed parts being marketed to the street rod are way overpriced. I have been very actively involved in oval track racing for the last 25yrs and have always been amazed at the price of items when marketed to the street rod or hot rod market. In example: I would see lower or upper a-arms for three times the prices that I would pay a very similar item for my race car.

I assume that the manufacturers in this market have made the assumption that the street rod guy was unaware of race car manufacturers selling similar or identical items much cheaper. With the advent of internet shopping and the crossover of pro-touring today, manufacturers face a much more open market. As a consumer, i will not pay double or triple the price just to have someone's name on it.

I realize that the steering wheels being discussed are being made in China. But I ask myself why do the big name manufactures feel that a fair market price for a similar item is 2 to 3 times what it can be had for elsewhere? We are not talking about an intricate part that must be manufactured to extreme tolerances here. It is a piece of aluminum with some holes drilled into it. I have never paid more than about $75 for an aluminum steering wheel for my race cars and they have never let me down.

I will step down off from my soap box now.

Bob
      1) The average worker in China makes $1.40/hour. Labor costs next to nothing.
      2) Their version of R&D is copying an existing design, and then figuring out how to cheapen it (cheaper welds, thinner material, cheaper grade steel). No real design work, no testing, etc. You can save a lot of money that way.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      1) The average worker in China makes $1.40/hour. Labor costs next to nothing.
      2) Their version of R&D is copying an existing design, and then figuring out how to cheapen it (cheaper welds, thinner material, cheaper grade steel). No real design work, no testing, etc. You can save a lot of money that way.

This I whole heartedly realize and am against. All one needs to do is look at RaceGator transmission, a copy of a Brinn. Petronix copies everything they can get their hands on. Pisses me off.

The steering wheels in question are nor really a high tech item that would need to be copied. As I had mentioned before; I have boughten hundreds of thousands worth of american made oval track components, and some of that went toward American made steering wheels that cost under $80. Why do others feel the need to triple that price??

Unfortunately many American items have been copied and tweaked by many manufacturers now. As an example: look at Afco ball joints. Probably pissed Chas and Ed Howe off. They spend money and time to develop and others start copying. It is not always off-shore companies that do this either.

The forever sharp steering wheels and mounts are nice wheels and product especially for the money. The price difference isn't because it is inferior as far as materials (metal/steel/aluminum) used. Nor is it because of the welds or the build quality. Now the leather may not be nearly as nice as some as the other half wrap steering wheels but 99% of the people who would look at them will not notice any difference or substandard quality as far as the wheel or material.
      The difference in price comes from the fact that you can pay a worker in China less than a dollar an hour to pump these wheels out. I always love when I hear the argument that a Chinese who is doing welding or assembly on products such as these somehow can't weld or assemble to the same standards as an American worker. And they have actually shown that workers in Asian countries such as China take more pride in their work and do just as good if not better than American workers who are doing this same type of work. And also the welds have been ?(X-ray)? Examined and have shown that the welds are just as good and are not inferior to the welds on similar products by American workers. They have also shown the same results on the welds and steel materials used on the eBay style tubular A-arms.

The pricing is significantly less because first of all they are just making pretty much exact copies of American made products such as these steering wheels and the eBay A-arms which are just a DSE copy with the exception of the 2" coil drop pockets in the eBay a arms. So they have saved a huge amount of money in not having to invest in design or R&D. And as I said before they are paying their workers maybe a dollar an hour if not a dollar or two a day.
      So you are getting a nice product and for those of us who would rather spend 50-60%+ less for pretty much the same product and with the money saved they can use the money saved to upgrade other areas of their car.
      The one thing I will say is that quality control is where the biggest difference is between American made products and Asian or Chinese made products. That being said you are still only talking a very small number or their products that may have problems. But American made products have their fair share of problems as well. So in the end it is up to "you" or any potential buyer as to what they want to do. But I'm so tired of this bashing of these products and how it's not made in America or how even some items that are made in America but are 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of what other similar made American products cost so everyone feels the need to jump into these threads and talk about how they are junk or inferior yet when asked about real world experience or actual facts as to why they are junk or so inferior and there is never a legit answer. If you don't have first hand experience than your opinion is just that....an opinion which is baseless in facts.
      69 Camaro - LS7 441ci ;wet sump, Custom cam, Port matched MSD intake, ported 90mm TB, Texas Speed PRC 285cc LS7 heads withBTR rockers. Tick built T56. Scott Mock subframe, TCI torque arm rear setup, C6 Z06 brakes, built ford 9" 3.73 gears, Trueforged 3pc Wheels. Lots more

I have a forever sharp 3 to 6 bolt adapter and it will do the job. I don't care for their wheels though.

FWIW I bought the Forever Sharp Drifter.........its a flimsy POS and I cannot wait to get it out. Having said that, the billet adapter was a spot on perfect fit diameter and bolt pattern wise.
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

If you want to buy the absolute lowest quality product made in the absolute cheapest fashion that is up to you. Why is it junk? Look at the leather and fit and finish; it's pretty clear. There is no reason to overpay for something, but at some point you are just buying trash. That said, if you are buying Chinese goods why both with Forever Sharp? Just get it straight from the source. Instead of paying $120 for a $30 wheel why not just pay $30 for it?
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Just a Quick note on my Forever Sharp Product Experience. I had been looking at a Quick Release Steering Wheel Adapter...Didn't really have a reason for it, other than the "COOL" Factor. So I didn't' wanna be out a couple hundred bucks for one...I see the Forever Sharp Page and notice they have one for $39.99...SO I jump on it. It arrives fairly quickly and they are very helpful with an adapter I needed to make my Grant 3 Hole wheel work. I got it installed, got the Horn Button working and even liked that it moved my wheel closer to me...a little more comfy for me.... OK, now the other side of the coin. I got my Steering Wheel straightened out and drove the car a few times with out issues. I was backing the car into the garage, I DO NOT have Power Steering, and all of the sudden my Wheel is spinning around the column..WTF... I thought it broke and luckily I was in my drive and really barely moving. After further investigation I found that with me Torqueing the wheel some, that the Release Ring on the Quick Release Adapter Flexed and basically acted like I was taking the wheel off. I called Forever Sharp and he said he had not heard of this happening, but may be because I don't have Power Steering, and would be Glad to let me Return the item for a refund. I have gone with another Brand, haven't rec'd it yet, and will Test it out before driving and see what the difference is. IT might be as simple as "You get what You Pay For" ... I'll respond back and let you know what the results are, I can't believe I wouldn't be able to have a Quick Release just because of No Power Steering.
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

Well I confirmed it. I guess it was a case of You get what you Pay for. Got the NRG adapter installed yesterday and there is no way this thing is gonna slip or deflect. BTW, THI MotorSports has Great Prices on NRG stuff. Maybe this can help out someone down the road. On a side note though Forever Sharp does have the Adapters to make any wheel fit any Quick Release...3 Hole, 5 Hole, 6 Hole....

Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com