Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

looking for a turbo kit

Like to turbo my 1971 nova, 5.3 motor. Was curious if there is a whole kit for turboth and pipeing ect.

Heck I'm gonna twin turbo a 283 SBC and i m using eBay turbos and parts. Also gonna use an lt1 intake. My plan is pair of gt2871r in .60/.64 at range. And then possibly upgrade to the .60/.84ar version.
      There are even ball bearings versions on there.
      You can even get gt2876r for bigger units.
      On an LSx you can turn headers around and plumb in a pair of turbos pretty easy. Also dig around on theturboforums.com
      There are hundreds of projects on there and it doesn't take super expensive parts,at least to do mock up and testing and dial in. Then if you want super expensive turbos, you just swap them out.
      But honestly there are many cars running the knock off turbos with no issues and great success.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Awesome thanks for the info, just on a 3k budget. Everyone one says plumming is the highest part

I'm not saying it can't be done for 3K, but it's going to be tough. I'm 3/4 the way through my single front mount build on my LS1 and already I am over 4K. I have bought almost everything used as well. Good luck with your build!

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

If your serious about a nova kit, contact Nate @ www.one-guys-garage.com
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

If your on a budget run flipped truck headers and make the rest. I've seem over 600hp to the wheels with a junkyard 6.0 and eBay turbo set up

JORDAN

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon1015 View Post
      If your serious about a nova kit, contact Nate @ www.one-guys-garage.com

Agreed. I've purchased a kit from him and he has sold several on ls1tech.com. Does good work.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

I have a twin turbo kit I got of ebay if you want it. I paid $1200 for it. Its still in all the boxes I haven't put it on yet. Its got everything you need including intercooler and piping. Here is the link to the kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twin-Turbo-S...item51d0cf2120

Stay away from that....
      Nathan Shaw

2 of these
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev9-GT2871R...9bff6e&vxp=mtr

1 of these
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/300948792464...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 or two of these
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-76mm-Turbo...8e181f&vxp=mtr

2 of these
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIAL-Q-50MM-...43f65b&vxp=mtr

Set of these
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/390748733072...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

While not most expensive parts I know of several cars running similar parts, these are randomly chosen well not headers or intercooler. But I have researched a lot for my 283 project in Cheap Trick Monza.
      Projected power, approximately 600 HP give or take.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Poor decision with some of those parts...an LS needs way more turbo than that unless you like choked up weezing engines.
      Nathan Shaw

Neat part about my setup, swapppng to a gt2871r with larger exh, is simple and also a gt2876r can drop in. I keep seeing these cars with HUGE turbos, make radical power but fail to spool low enough to make a fat torque curve. My plans are to mimic several throw together LSx/twin turbo setups based on old Holset diesel take offs. The cool part about the Gt28 series is oil and water run through them. After consulting several fitment recommendations like Ray Hall, an others I decided on the GT28 platform. Partly because of the water cooling. And because the air flow numbers fit. I watched guy use twin T series on a 5.3, the car only started spooling and boosting well over 3500, his brother built a 4.8 he had threw out as took small, put twin Holsets on flipped manifolds, other eBay parts, pushed it to 12 psi and over 600 HP, second brothers setup cost him less than $2000 his brother using larger T series( and these were speced by big name turbo company many on here brag about) had almost $10,000 in set up.
      I watch people build cars, never pay attention to detail, it BUY the detail and trust I to run. Bill the first brother still has an unpainted car, its peaky, runs well on top end but is dog in daily driving. Steve the second brother just pulled 48 setup out of car as it was rusted out Buick regal, dropped it in his truck with jy 5.3, same intake and crutch modded 750dp with 850 annular boosters he bought used. His hardest plan was rewiring the rpm/boost reference circuit to operate in his truck. That was last year, the truck is his daily driver short bed C10, Runs complete exhaust with cats from magnaflow, truck was C3 carbbed 305 so he hasn't had large issues with passing emissions. Still has vapor recovery, passes sniffer well into 201x standards.
      Daily driven on highway/interstate. About 500-600 miles a week, 28 mpg, blows tires off at will and pulls to 6500. Holsets were limit in till he found 12cm housings to swap for 9cm and it really took on new life.
      Bone stock engine e, properly tuned, generic intercooler, water meth kit from http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html using washer fluid or boostjuice and wideband tuning and it lives everyday.
      Those cheap turbo kits do have some cheap parts, but I know of couple people cleaned up the turbos, installed them and ran them to tune then upgraded to better ones from eBay then later on from Comp. But it allowed mounting, fabrication and modifications.
      Saw several where guys would route stuff, use www.durafix.com rods to cut and weld piping then send off for mandrel bent parts later as cash allowed. Actually had one guy use twin kit from eBay then before firing sent turbos off for proclean up, shop fixed small issue, tested them and found one off balance. Car runs great and pulls hard, figures since turbos might be tadc small to is 383, and is saving for new , bigger turbos. He just runs it carefully.
      Marty over on the turbo forums.com ran junk, worn out 350, throw away 85-86 GN turbos, freightliner intercooler, old school volley commander 950 computer on TPI top end, used 55 lb/hr injectors, used cam, used other parts, lots of fun in and ran best of 9.70s and with little larger stock heads ran 9.30s all in QUARTER MILE, uncut, 3.00 gears no large cash.
      Yeah he eventually swapped for some te44 precision replacement turbos(more or less same size) and it never blew up engine.
      I have seen many junkyard turbo swaps. Heck Roadkill put jy power stroke single on 4.3 in Rotsun they just recently blew it up and that was from having it driven with no dang water pump belt NOT parts failure.
      Plan a setup, do diligent research on it and go for it. Plan for up grades. And pay attention to detail if Frieburger and Finnegan can clap crap together and beat on it, some smart use of cheap parts can work also.
      Now build a car with dyno tested Mast motorsports engine , sure those cheap kits might leave lot to be desired. Just gotta remember, its cheap kit for reason. Proper inspection and possible upgrades might be needed.
      Good luck to all.
      My junk is gonna be made from cheap stuff until money tree blooms or rich uncle dies.
      You don't need $2000 turbos to go fast. Just figure the $200 turbo might need attention or replacement down the road.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

I'll stick with quality parts and buy it once. They do have their place though.
      Nathan Shaw

This is where I started doing research.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/17084389944/

You can also check out Matt "DENMAH" Happel's post one LS1tech and yellowbullet
      "Keep Shifting Gears"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com