Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Budget turbo 5.3 vega

Looking to turbo my 5.3. For two reason mainly more torque and hp. The second reason being that i am using a 4l80e with stock converter. It's in a chevy vega (very light 3000 pounds or less) I know that with the stock converter the stall speed will be very very low due to the light weight of the car and the low power output of the stock 5.3. I hear people use the stock converters in boosted setups with good results.

I don't need a ton if power after-all it's only a stock 5.3. I want it to survive. So 7-8 psi is about as much as the bottom end can safely handle I believe.

This is a street car so it needs to spool quick as possible.

I am thinking of using the hx35 holset turbo from a 93 dodge 5.9 pickup. I think it should provide what I need. If it's not large enough I can do twins I have tons of room up front. I can get these turbos for next to nothing. I know diesel turbos run at higher boost and lower power band than gasoline but I'm sure it can work with slight modification and some conpromise.

Another thought I had is what if you got 2 of the same turbos from the 4 cylinder imports. You would still have 4 cylinders feeding each turbo if you got them from say a 2.5 or 3 litres you would be pretty close I would think.

I am a welder by trade and will be fabbing up the turbo system myself so anything I can find that will fit the bill I can adapt to work fitment wide.

If anyone has done anything using the diesel or import turbos I'd like to hear dyno numbers and the rpms at which full boost kicks in aswell as the rpm the motor starts to choke if at all.

Thanks in advance

Anybody got any thoughts????

Tons of guys boosting 5.3's....some pushing the 1000hp mark out of almost stock 5.3's. I suggest looking at ls1tech.com or the turbo forums....Lotta guys running 5.3's

Country Flag: United States
      Going back a couple decades, friend of mine built a twin turbo 5.0L (stock) Mustang using two Chrysler turbos off of their 2.3L. Solid low 11s car on which he drove daily.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

The 5.3l in a Vega will be fun all by itself. "Only a 5.3" is an unfair statement. If you want more power, there are way more cost effective was to get more power with less headache then turbo in a 5.3l in a vega. Replacing the converter, heck putting a used ls1 with a cam and nitrous could probably be done for what it would cost to turbo a ls motor in a vega. Don't think there is a turbo ls vega kit but probably one to just swap the ls in. The all aluminum ls1 will lighten up the nose and finding room for the turbo stuff under the hood will be tough and make simple tasks under the hood harder. I'm all about turbo 5.3 ls motors but the idea of turboing your car to keep the stock converter seems silly to me. Even a screw type supercharger on top of the motor would get you what you want easier

Thanks for the input guys. I figured if I turbo the car I can kill two birds with one stone. I mean do want more power out of the motor anyway so if I turbo it I can retain the stock converter opposed to purchasing a new converter then finding out later that the stock one would have done just fine with the turbo. I am checking around daily for a used higher stall converter but haven't found much. Actually the drivetrain is already in the vega. and there is a ton of room up front as I pushed the firewall back to the door jambs about 10-12". The motor is set back for better weight distribution. V8 vegas kits set the engine too far forward making it noise heavy and kind I uneasy. So I set it back that much because I experienced the feeling with the small block, I will be looking for good deals on bolt ons budget is a little tight right now for a turbo. If there is anything you guys can recommend that will wake the 5.3 up a little please chime in. Also is there any stock 4l80e converters with a high stall? Not really sure on what I need as this is a street car not a race car but anything will be better than what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by EFIVega View Post
      Thanks for the input guys. I figured if I turbo the car I can kill two birds with one stone.

If you twin turbo it, you can kill a whole flock with two stones.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Www.turboforums.com
      Look up "the grenade"
      I am building a 283, double humps, LT1 intake and GT2871R eBay knock off turbos. Less than $300 each, and easily replaceable.
      Going in77 Monza.
      Using Comp 268h can should push between 550hp and 650hp. And with step up to larger version of GT2871R it can go even farther.
      I'm gonna have 54 yr old engine, 40 something to 50 something yr old heads, 2.02/1.60, screw in studs, guide plates. Used forged pistons, Eagle I beams, steel crank.
      500 HP in a Vega, well,,, is A LOT!
      I was told my car would be tail happy, except guy forgets I know these cars are gonna "push" hard due to smaller front tires. So being the car WILL have to be dialed in and tuned hard to get it too turn and launch regardless of the amount of power I dial in with an adjustable forms control or possibly progressive controller.
      Figure 300-350 ish NA, 550-650 with 15lbs boost.
      I have always figured it too push more than be loose.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Budget turbo 5.3 vega

Cool build.

Interesting build.
      What kind of rear suspension are you running?
      Any pics?
      Dan
      1971 Chevelle Maliboo Convertible 496/4L80E
      1956 210 2 door Sedan 8-71 blown 468/T400

Up to 74 are 4 link trangulated ha bodies, 75 up ran torque arms. A V8 Vega can cross scales around 2500-2800 second gens shade over 3000 depending on options.
      Honestly on 5.3, use Comp 268h cam, as with SBC , a mild converter like a TCI Saturday Nite Special converter.
      A set of truck manifolds flipped make easy hook up.
      Even a long rod 302 SBC would only use 66-68 lb/min air flow.
      I have seen specs on a 355 using same as my plan GT2871R except for .86 at hot side, for less back pressure but it was peaky. Not smooth, guy went back to extrude honed compressor an turbine side is .60/.64 AR set up and got better low end spool.
      Then there is GT2876R.
      Neat part about GT units, some can be had in ball bearing, and they are oil and water cooled/lubed. Better turbo life.
      Honestly unless you are shooting for more than 500-600 HP ,and that's a lot in one of these short wheelbase cars. Good intercooler, some water method and boost controller and car show
      D be able to be dialed from low 400s up in power. Also these cars don't have lots of tire room.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Here are the parts I would use:
      Pac 1218 valve springs from Brian Tooley Racing

ARP head bolts replaced one by one if you don't want to pull the engine apart

Turbonetics 7268 with a .96 T4 turbine. Huron Speed has them for around $750. This will make 500-600whp easily and allow a direct swap to a 7675 later if you want 900whp. Lightweight and reliable.

Whatever manifolds fit you chassis. C6 vette center dumps work well on some tight swaps. Weld 2.25" vbands on the outlets.

Use 2.25 hotside tubing and 3" coldside tubing.

Treadstone 1245 intercooler. Yes, it is an upgrade from the typical China 31x12x4 unit although that works good too if you are saving money.

Precision 46mm wastegate.

JGS 50mm blow off valve.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

Why such a big turbo?
      Go check ray hall turbocharging its austrailian site has great app on it I ran up to a 5.0 liter, twins with intercooler. GT2871r fix bill very well from 289cubs up to 302 .64ar versions heck I could even run the same turbo in low boost form on my 454.
      Figure 66 lb air flow, heck even a 5.3 probably won't need more than 68lb.still well within the GT2871R and up the hot side to .84 version to ease back pressure.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

Go to youtube, type in richard holdener,he will give some ideas for ls and turbo's. You can ask me because i have both

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com