Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Spring Axles on enclosed car haulers?

Anybody here running spring axles on your enclosed car haulers? Thoughts? Do you wish you upgraded to torsion?

How does it pull empty vs loaded?

I like the idea of having equal loading with springs but always hear of noise and too much bounce depending on who you talk to.

Are you looking to buy a new enclosed trailer? I have owned both spring and torsion trailers. Typically a leaf spring trailer ride is a little more harsh than the torsion suspension. Normally you see the cheap cargo trailers and flat bed equipment trailers equipped with leaf spring suspension while all the more expensive better quality car trailers have Torsion axles. The big difference is that a spring suspension requires more maintenance than torsion axle simply because there are more moving parts to wear but the parts are replaceable. On the other hand if a torsion axle wears out there is no repairing it you must replace the entire axle. As for equal loading of tandem axles that is simply a matter of proper hitch height adjustment so the trailer sets level when hitched to the tow vehicle.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Are you looking to buy a new enclosed trailer? I have owned both spring and torsion trailers. Typically a leaf spring trailer ride is more harsh than the torsion suspension. Normally you see the cheap cargo trailers and flat bed equipment trailers equipped with leaf spring suspension while the more expensive better quality car trailers have Torsion axles. That should tell you something about ride quality. As for equal loading of both axles that is simply a matter of proper hitch height adjustment so the trailer sets level when hitched to the tow vehicle.

I've only owned torsion axles in the past, no issues, just curious in general. But yes I am going to get another trailer very soon.

I've pulled both and didn't notice a difference. 24' enclosed with leaf springs, 28' with torsion.

Biggest issue is torsion axles wear out, literally.
      Worked at truck and auto shop, and they broke all the time in work trailers, where as most guys only changed load ratings and electric brakes on leaf trailers. But keeping time inspected and serviced either work fine.
      I personally had ideas of building a trailer up to run air ride, tied into rear of truck. But its still a dream.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com