Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Has anyone used KBS Coatings for frame/chassis and suspension components?

I am in the works of swapping out my rusted frame on my '77 Dodge D100 with a rust-free frame and I'm planning on sandblasting and coating the frame and suspension before putting the truck back together.
      I came across a company called KBS Coatings and they are a competitor to POR-15. I have heard good and bad things about POR-15 (more bad than good lately) and from what little I've read, the KBS stuff is better AND cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with their products and how they like or dislike it. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

From what I was told, a guy that worked at POR, left and started KBS, and it's suppose to be better. National Parts Depot, now sells KBS. I have always used POR Marine Clean, as a general cleaner, and it works amazing, I bought some comparable KBS cleaner, and so far it works about the same. I haven't tried KBS paint yet, but I've always had good luck with POR.

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

I used KBS coating in my engine bay and a couple of other places. It worked just fine and has held up well. I can highly reccomend it.

If I was going to have the parts blasted to remove all of the rust. I would go ahead and clean all of the media out of the nooks and cranny's then prime with epoxy and top coat with a good chassis black. I have used Keystone Hot Rod Satin Black in my engine compartment and a frame for a friends Impala. Seems to be very durable.

I have had excellent results with John Deere Blitz Black. It is very reasonably priced and arguably one of the most durable non-two part paints on the market. When I worked for Deere we sold more Blitz Black to hot rodders than we did to farmers.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

If its blasted, use a good etching compound, etching primer then epoxy paint.
      Most people forget POR 15 and its counterparts mostly are designed to be used while some rust still remains as it locks to said rust, not the loose scaly stuff but the tough beta rust thats under it.
      POR 15 was designed for military marine use on battle ships. Used to cover and convert the rust before the hull was painted. Since painting and cleaning are part and parcel for military, they did lots of it. One of my old school mates used some POR 15 and he said it was same smell, but more formulated to our hobby uses in consistency and recoating ability.
      But any product that locks away the metal from moisture and air from reaching it is appropriate.
      I know a neighbor who bought a radiator siphon paint sprayer and shot three gallons of tractor zinc chromate primer in and on his frame, then scuffed it all up and painted it with hardened and flattened tractor black paint, the frame looks amazing, hasnt got a single bubble or crack in paint and he gets complements on detain at most car shows.
      Car used to be painted with tractor paint, till it got hit in accident, then insurance wouldnt paint it same color due to matching issues and warranty. So he got full paint job with car paint but had gotten several best paint awards with $20 a gallon tractor enamel.
      But Ill vote for epoxy primer and Blitz Black. Had my 70 Monte Carlo cowl hood painted with it. Even at damage areas the paint on the scoop ((fiberglass) has not lost adhesion.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I decided screw it...I'm gonna try the stuff out. I just ordered the Frame Coater kit in Satin Black http://www.kbs-coatings.com/frame-coater-kit.html and a quart of BlackTop top coat in flat black http://www.kbs-coatings.com/blacktop.html
      I'll let you all know how it turns out with many pictures from beginning to end.

One complaint I have heard with por 15 is it tends to lose its shine and looked faded after a few years. My guess is it doesn't have a uv protection in the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by pist0lpete View Post
      One complaint I have heard with por 15 is it tends to lose its shine and looked faded after a few years. My guess is it doesn't have a uv protection in the formula.
      Says that right on the can, I just finished putting a coat on the inside floor pans of my project car.
      Name:  10982866_10152643484307735_8349413383926930809_o.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  188.3 KB

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

You are correct that POR15 doesn't have UV protectors. And they recommend top coating if it will be in sunlight.

Good to know, I would also add don't assume it will be ok without a topcoat on the frame. Although it is under the body, it still sees plenty of uv.

Country Flag: Scotland
      I'm using Chassis Saver which is a moisture cure urethane just like POR, KBS, and many others. I chose it because off the multiple colors and I could get it cheaper online than the other two. I was going to use KBS but the local shop didn't carry grey and was being a PITA about ordering small quantities.

This is the gas tank area of Rusty. I wheeled everything then painted the sheet metal grey and the frame black. The entire underside is getting done like this. I never want to do floors again!

I have used KBS products and got great results with them and would recommend them to anyone

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com