Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Thanks DJW32; I'll look the thread up. . .I emailed CPP this morning; after I get a response I will call to find out what else I would need.

Thanks Killer69. . .I should have been more specific; I didn't know exactly what I was looking at initially. I said C5 because that's what the CPP website called them.

I think I'm pretty well sorted out now. . .looks like I will be saving for either the ATS AFX spindle or the DSE spindle.
      '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 RA
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7693

'97 Camaro
      '00 Yamaha R6
      '01 Aprilia RS-50
      '02 Yamaha R1

Country Flag: United States
      I don't think DSE makes a spindle for the First Gen???? Stock Sub frame ? they make one for their sub frame but it won't work on a stock sub
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

If you can machine them yourself great, but otherwise the ATS spindle looks to be the best option out there short of going with an entire new subframe. I made the mistake of buying a decent brake kit for the stock spindles so now I need to upgrade my brakes again when I buy the ATS spindles (they take C5 brakes).

I was wondering about that. . .I see that they make a spindle, and it's in the catalog. I couldn't figure out why there wasn't a price. . .I thought it might be offered only as part of a packeage. I didn't realize that it was only offered/compatible with their front subframe which is WAY out of my price range at this point in time.

That makes the choice easy; the ATS AFX spindle if I buy.

Thanks for pointing that out another69!

'97 Camaro
      '00 Yamaha R6
      '01 Aprilia RS-50
      '02 Yamaha R1

I got the return email from CPP today; DHutton was correct they are referring to the A, F, X-body cars. . .

. . .I believe they are being intentionally misleading; the spindles look extremely similar to the ATS AFX spindles and the mention of a "tall spindle body" implies they are improving the geometry when in fact they are not changing anything.

'97 Camaro
      '00 Yamaha R6
      '01 Aprilia RS-50
      '02 Yamaha R1

If the spindle is taller they are in fact improving geometry.

I have to say the love affair I see with brands in the PT community is fairly comical to me. It's no wonder outfits like DSE, Speedtech, etc don't list actual specs on their websites as people 1) don't care 2) don't understand what the numbers mean 3) can't take those numbers and compare them to other products and make an educated decision.

If the cast iron copy of the AFX spindle is the same in all dimensions, guess what. It helps the geometry just as much as the AFX does.

You can also use tall upper ball joints/tall lower tie rod ends for the stock control arms, and use Kore3 brake set up for the brakes. That will give you improvements over the stock stuff, and save/wait for the Speedtech spindles to go on sale. That will get you going, rather than having the car on jackstands.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by atomicjoe23 View Post
      I was wondering about that. . .I see that they make a spindle, and it's in the catalog. I couldn't figure out why there wasn't a price. . .I thought it might be offered only as part of a packeage. I didn't realize that it was only offered/compatible with their front subframe which is WAY out of my price range at this point in time.

That makes the choice easy; the ATS AFX spindle if I buy.

Thanks for pointing that out another69!
      Not true, UNLESS your talking about the Second gen front kit. The Spindles ARE available separately the price is 1199.00 complete. with GM C7 hubs (same as the ZR1 without wheel speed sensor)
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      Not true, UNLESS your talking about the Second gen front kit. The Spindles ARE available separately the price is 1199.00 complete. with GM C7 hubs (same as the ZR1 without wheel speed sensor)
      Blake, I was talking about the DSE spindles in that comment; I am planning on buying the ATS AFX spindles from you guys. Considering the fact that your AFX spindles come complete with the hubs and hardware they are an EXTREMELY good deal!!!

You have been extremely helpful and forth coming with information, not to mention patient with my many questions, over the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      You can also use tall upper ball joints/tall lower tie rod ends for the stock control arms, and use Kore3 brake set up for the brakes. That will give you improvements over the stock stuff, and save/wait for the Speedtech spindles to go on sale. That will get you going, rather than having the car on jackstands.
      I thought about going that route, but the cost of the ball joints plus the taller studs ends up being fairly significant (about $500) and I would be spending that money, and then spending money again to buy the AFX spindles. . .I've decided to invest in the AFX spindles up front and not spend the money twice.

Quote Originally Posted by BanditDarble View Post
      If the spindle is taller they are in fact improving geometry. If the cast iron copy of the AFX spindle is the same in all dimensions, guess what. It helps the geometry just as much as the AFX does.
      The spindles are not taller. . .I emailed CPP and the spindles are all stock geometry; nothing has been moved. They are not a cast iron copy of the ATS AFX spindles; that is straight from CPP.

Quote Originally Posted by BanditDarble View Post
      I have to say the love affair I see with brands in the PT community is fairly comical to me. It's no wonder outfits like DSE, Speedtech, etc don't list actual specs on their websites as people 1) don't care 2) don't understand what the numbers mean 3) can't take those numbers and compare them to other products and make an educated decision
      I have been talking with SpeedTech Performance, DSE, and ridetech directly. . .they have all been happy to provide numbers, in fact ridetech has the camber curves and bump steer curves posted directly on their website (stock, RideTech package, and several other combinations). They also have diagrams of their spindles comparing their geometry to the stock geometry.

Maybe not everyone understands the numbers and can make a comparison between products, but there are a LOT of people who do understand the numbers, and who do know how to make a comparison. Information is so available now that if you are willing to do a little reading and then go out and make some changes on your car, drive it, and see what the difference is you can end up learning this stuff pretty fast.

'97 Camaro
      '00 Yamaha R6
      '01 Aprilia RS-50
      '02 Yamaha R1

Quote Originally Posted by atomicjoe23 View Post
      The spindles are not taller. . .I emailed CPP and the spindles are all stock geometry; nothing has been moved. They are not a cast iron copy of the ATS AFX spindles; that is straight from CPP.
      Not sure who this guy talked to or what has changed since his post but this is simply NOT TRUE. How do I know? I was at Summit Racing yesterday with my stock spindle and a tape measure in hand. Just clearing the air for anyone who wants factual, real info. CPP part # 30013 is exactly 1" taller than a first gen spindle while maintaining factory ride height.

Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com