Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Adapting new OEM steering wheel

I have a question for you technical gurus. Im starting to think about what its going to take to put a 2012(ish) era OEM style steering wheel from a Dodge (Charger/Challenger/Ram/Journey... whatever) into my 73 Dart. I'll have to do something about the control buttons - block off plates or caps or something - but my wife has a 2012 Journey and I really dig the steering wheel. Perfect size, comfortable layout and thick leather feel. I've found a couple, all with the airbags blown of course, but dont know if I need the whole column or if just the wheel can be adapted to work in my Dart. Any thoughts?

Adapting new OEM steering wheel

Most modern wheels I've seen are splined.. So you'll have to see if the spline matches.
      My guess is it will not.. So adapting a stock column may work there. It's easier to weld a steering shaft on than to broach a new set of splines or have an adapter made.
      The other option that I could see is taking a bolt-on wheel adapter from Flaming River or others, and drilling out the Journey's wheel mounting surface to match.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Good call. I figured the splines wouldnt be the same. I like your idea of honing out the new wheel to match up to an adapter but since the adapter alone (from flaming river) is $125 and I was quoted $135 for a wheel and column form a parted out Journey and can weld, I may go the route of cutting and welding the shafts. Thanks!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com