Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

TH400 shifter suggestions??? '67 Firebird 400 coupe for Auto-X'ing. . .

I have a '67 Firebrid 400 coupe with a TH400 I am going to start taking to local Auto-X events. . .right now I am replacing all the suspension bushings with an Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kit and the upper/lower balljoints and inner/outer tie rod ends with Moog parts. I am going to do the Guldstrand mod to the upper control arm mounts as well; right now that is all I'm doing to the suspension until I get bigger tires/wheels to package bigger brakes. . .then I will start upgrading the suspension.

I do not want to keep an auto in this car, but the priority now is to work with what I have so I can enjoy it. . .that being said the TH400 needs some attention. I know the shifter needs replaced.

What shifter do you guys recommend for the TH400 for Auto-X'ing???

I do not have much knowledge about automatic trannies as I have always had manuals in the past. . .while I'm at it I thought it might be a good idea to go with a manual valve body as well (reverse manual valve body???)

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
      '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 RA
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7693

'97 Camaro
      '00 Yamaha R6
      '01 Aprilia RS-50
      '02 Yamaha R1

Country Flag: UK
      I had the b&m quick silver in my 2nd gen trans am . looks great and the stick always stays in the same position .had the mega shift but found it very awkward

Country Flag: United States

TH400 shifter suggestions??? '67 Firebird 400 coupe for Auto-X'ing. . .

You don't shift much in Auto X with a TH400 at least I don't so get what ever you like. I've had the quicksilver and it's pretty nice. I ran a 1/4 stick for a long time and really liked it but no one could ever figure it out. I recently went to a hammer shifter. Took a while to get use to after the 1/4 stick but it's nice set up that bolts up well in a stock location. I don't see any need for a manual valve body unless you want to shift gears all the time. I have a semi manual so it stays in 1 or 2 until I shift but will also shift on its own in 3rd.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Hurst pistol grip quarterstick would be my choice. Had one in my old Monza, I had zero issues and if it were me I would used a beefed up lock up converter and use the button to lock it up on hard straight charges, or at times when I need solid connection between engine and trans.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Nothing beats a Hurst Autostick I shifter for the TH-400.. It bolts to the transmission, has a solid linkage and has very positive feeling gates... They show up on e-bay... I got mine for $230...

I'd ditch the poly idea and pick up these..
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRC-8800-LOW...item58a35141dc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRC-8801-LOW...item3a754a8b40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRC-8802-LOW...item3a754a8b3c

Name:  Interior drivers side.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  268.4 KB

any type of ratchet shifter would work well, i've had the Hammer from B&M and it worked great for years until it wore out, but with a ratchet you can shift one gear up or down at a time and no worry about accidentally hitting reverse or going to the wrong gear. i currently use the B&M pro stick and i like that alot but its not a ratchet type shifter and it does take a little getting used to, especially if you have to operate it in a hurry.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com