Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Well, that's good.. Sounds like they might just be ready to get it finished..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Hey Dennis,
      How's the Camaro coming?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

It's coming...that's about it. Nothing really crazy going on yet. I called and left a voicemail last Thursday expressing my displease and my concern for the lack of progress. I clarified with them that I just paid 2k with the understanding that the car was going into a bay and was becoming priority. "Technically" it should have been done the first of this week, but that's not going to happen. I told him we needed to sit down and hash this out, and if we can't come up with a deadline or see some progress I needed to come pull my car.

He immediately called back apologizing for how long its taken and said there was no excuse. He said they didn't anticipate all of the insurance work they would be getting. He said he promises that the car will be going into the bay again this week and they WILL finish it. He said the next time I come check on it I will have seen significant progress.

Going to check on it again the end of this week
      My build thread

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241037

Paint Jail Experience

https://sites.google.com/site/paintjail/home

Just seems like its such bull. Next time you go to check on it, i'll go with you and have my trailer attached to my truck. you can also tell him to have your refund check ready..

Carl Wilson

Yeah no doubt, I'm still trying to wait it out. I gave them the 2k because they said they needed it to get supplies and start on it. If I pulled it, it will be hard to get my money back and it will be hard to find a shop willing to pick up where these guys left off. Most shops don't want to touch someone else's work, so they will strip it down.

I can't afford to start dumping more money into other body shops right now or starting over. This paint job is tapping me out of most of my savings already. Plus who's to say the next shop won't drag ass too? Once you hand your car over to them your at their mercy.

I talked to a guy on facebook who posted a pic of a 2nd gen that almost looked like my twin, same body work stage. He said his was taking a while and I asked how long......he said two years so far. Mine has been 7 months and I can't imagine two years. But as long as I stay on these guys hopefully I won't.
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

Well here's for hoping...

Carl Wilson

any update this week?

Carl Wilson

nothing solid yet...they took the front cap off a little sanding on the fenders
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

I would say "Lot's of LUCK with this body shop" since you have decided to stay however LUCK will nothing to do with this body shop finishing your car.

MONEY will be the issue here and LOT'S of it!

Why would you give them $2K to buy supplies????

The insurance companies, who by the way are his biggest customer, does not pay him up front for "supplies" to start work on their insureds car.

Why would you?

If the body shop does not have enough money to buy the supplies to START back on your project this is a HUGE issue that tells you that this shop is way to under-capitalized living to hand to mouth andyou should have pulled the car a LONG TIME ago as suggested by many.

Your in deep NOW!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Yeah yeah, I have heard this from everyone..blah blah pull my car. I appreciate the feedback, I have already heard it. You are correct I am in deep and pulling my car at this point will not help my situation unless you want to donate some money for me to pay another shop to start over. It's easier said that done unless you are in my shoes, that's all I want to point out.

It's all on me, and yes I am angry with myself for trusting ANY bodyshop, Last thing I want to hear is another person slapping me on the wrist for what I have done, or telling me I made a mistake...yes I am well aware I have by now. I am also aware that the money I paid down was most likely to finance his insurance jobs that he needed parts and supplies for.

It didn't hit me until after the fact...I was blinded by the fact he said they were making my car priority and finishing it...so yes he got me. But most shops do take a down payment to start on someone's vehicle and that was my thinking here. Pay some up front and some when it's done. I did that at the other shops that painted my cars in the past.

I'm not made of money and am not building a hi-end car, I cannot afford to pull my car and seek out another shop.

FWIW I made contact with the shop wed and dropped off a paper with a timeline all of my dates on it that I checked on the car and what we were told since last October. It goes into detail of all of the promises, missed dates and the state the car was in each time I checked on it. At the end I told them I will be picking up my car on 6/11/14 whether it's done or not. I will have a flatbed ready and if it's not finished I will need refund of the difference of the $2k back. I signed and dated it and gave it to them.

I also called them last night and got the actually body man on the phone (that painted my corvette in a month at another shop), not the little troll that I have been dealing with that I think owns the place. He said that he's going to have it ready on that date...so time will tell, maybe it will be ready, maybe it won't. But I will have my car back either way.

I'm done with this thread for a while, hopefully in the future I can post something positive, but for now it's not positive......have fun with it guys
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

I agree with Dennis, I think enough has been said about what could've or should've been done. What's been done, is done, lets show some support for a change I bet everyone has been here at one time or another.

Carl Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I agree with Dennis, I think enough has been said about what could've or should've been done. What's been done, is done, lets show some support for a change I bet everyone has been here at one time or another.
      Yep, been there. I don't think anyone here is having fun with this. A lot of folks tried to give some good advice to lend a hand.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

It's called Paint Prison because many of us have been in this position. It will be OK in the end!

Id like to add something here about "paint jail" and this isnt pointed at the op.
      If you want a classic done by a set date,dont take it to a shop that does mostly crash work,thats there bread and butter,no matter what,they get paid on insurance jobs thats why they dont ask for $$ for paint etc, its already billed for that job.which btw pays WAAAY better then resto work with less work into the job.ask me how i know?! Lol!
      But really,a pain trying to do crash work and restoration at the same time.
      Good work takes time,so e erybody needs to look at it that way too.
      And on a final note,as i said before not picking on the op or anyone else,please be realistic on what a nice $2,000 dollar paint job is compared to a show car finished painted car,i really got tired of guys saying they just wanted a nice paint job,then bitched about dirt nibs,or small little crap thinking i was going to give them the 15,000 dollar deal for 2,000!whew! Come on!
      Look at it this way,body works hard dirty work,that takes time to be done right,so take it easy on the body guys,it is a hard job.
      Take care,
      Phil
      72 chevelle.

If I read this right the $2000., was a deposit, not the cost of the paint job. I know where this paint shop is, and although he does insurance jobs, he also takes in a lot of resto work too. I have kept up with this thread, and like you said it takes a long time, but I'm thinking even longer if you don't hit a lick at it for a couple of weeks.

Carl Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      And on a final note,as i said before not picking on the op or anyone else,please be realistic on what a nice $2,000 dollar paint job is compared to a show car finished painted car,i really got tired of guys saying they just wanted a nice paint job,then bitched about dirt nibs,or small little crap thinking i was going to give them the 15,000 dollar deal for 2,000!whew! Come on!
      I do want to clarify so there isn't any confusion, the $2,000 was simply a deposit. Not the price of the total job. I was quote $5,000 to finish the car.

I know everyone throws out 10k and 15k paintjobs all the time if you want a show quality paint job, I wanted to point out some things before anyone judges my 5k paint job.

1. I disassembled the car myself, it was delivered as a shell with no interior, chrome, glass, trim and so forth. Aside from masking off the window areas and under the hood they have to basically paint it.

2. I had already done the panel fitting myself. I am happy with my gaps and so forth, again all the shop has to do is block and paint it

3. I have done all of the metal rust repair by replacing the metal (quarter, cowl, tailpanel, floors, trunk area) and so forth.

4. Car had already been stripped of paint, and blasted and a coat of epoxy primer so they had a clean slate to start with

5. I had already worked the shell and doors myself, to about 80% level which leaved them to finish it

6. Aside from the doors, fenders, upper valance and part of the quarter all of the other metal was new and pre-fitted. This included the lower valance, hood, and trunk lid which needed very little body work.

7. When the car is done it will be given back to me and I will re-install the trim, door handles, glass, interior and so forth

So all the shop has to do is paint the car and give it back to me, they have no more labor involved in re-assembly and such.....I'm doing that

I'm sure those high dollar quotes also included the disassembly and re-assembly of an existing car including rust repair, glass and paint removable. Not the case here

FWIW

I get a call yesterday morning form the body shop and wanted me to come by and look at the fenders and make sure they are working the lines on the patch I put in correctly.

I go by and they are actually working on the car, it was in the "work" bay and looks like they have went over the shell again with blocking. Said they are going to put the last coat of primer on that yesterday afternoon.

Had the fenders worked out and said they are going to prime them this afternoon.

They asked a few more questions and stuff while I was there

Night and day difference....they seem to actually be working on it now.....but I am not holding my breath.....but being hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      It's called Paint Prison because many of us have been in this position. It will be OK in the end!
      Thank you, I appreciate that
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      If I read this right the $2000., was a deposit, not the cost of the paint job. I know where this paint shop is, and although he does insurance jobs, he also takes in a lot of resto work too. I have kept up with this thread, and like you said it takes a long time, but I'm thinking even longer if you don't hit a lick at it for a couple of weeks.
      Carl you are correct, it was a 2k deposit.

They do insurance jobs, mechanic, work, resto...anything that brings in money. I'm sure it can be seen in some of my pics...but that C3 corvette showed up around the 1st of april, even though my car had been sitting since October. It's another overall paint job like mine.
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy View Post
      I do want to clarify so there isn't any confusion, the $2,000 was simply a deposit. Not the price of the total job. I was quote $5,000 to finish the car.

I know everyone throws out 10k and 15k paintjobs all the time if you want a show quality paint job, I wanted to point out some things before anyone judges my 5k paint job.

1. I disassembled the car myself, it was delivered as a shell with no interior, chrome, glass, trim and so forth. Aside from masking off the window areas and under the hood they have to basically paint it.

2. I had already done the panel fitting myself. I am happy with my gaps and so forth, again all the shop has to do is block and paint it

3. I have done all of the metal rust repair by replacing the metal (quarter, cowl, tailpanel, floors, trunk area) and so forth.

4. Car had already been stripped of paint, and blasted and a coat of epoxy primer so they had a clean slate to start with

5. I had already worked the shell and doors myself, to about 80% level which leaved them to finish it

6. Aside from the doors, fenders, upper valance and part of the quarter all of the other metal was new and pre-fitted. This included the lower valance, hood, and trunk lid which needed very little body work.

7. When the car is done it will be given back to me and I will re-install the trim, door handles, glass, interior and so forth

So all the shop has to do is paint the car and give it back to me, they have no more labor involved in re-assembly and such.....I'm doing that

I'm sure those high dollar quotes also included the disassembly and re-assembly of an existing car including rust repair, glass and paint removable. Not the case here

FWIW

I get a call yesterday morning form the body shop and wanted me to come by and look at the fenders and make sure they are working the lines on the patch I put in correctly.

I go by and they are actually working on the car, it was in the "work" bay and looks like they have went over the shell again with blocking. Said they are going to put the last coat of primer on that yesterday afternoon.

Had the fenders worked out and said they are going to prime them this afternoon.

They asked a few more questions and stuff while I was there

Night and day difference....they seem to actually be working on it now.....but I am not holding my breath.....but being hopeful

By that description it should have been finished by Pro's pretty fast. Your going on 8 months, that's Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post
      By that description it should have been finished by Pro's pretty fast. Your going on 8 months, that's Crazy!
      That's why I am aggravated lol
      My build thread

Paint Jail Experience

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com