Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

HELP! Need help with front seats for my 1968 Camaro.

I have a Pro Touring 1968 Camaro that currently has a full TMI interior. I am far from thrilled with these seats. They just don't fit right for headroom and also knees hitting the steering wheel. I am currently look at Corbeau RSS. I would like to hear some of your guy's suggestions also. I am looking to stay in the range of $1000-$1500 for two front seats as much as I love the look of Recaros. I would love to see what you guys are running post pictures if all possible. Thanks!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Not to derail the thread but which TMI seats do you have? I know they had a problem when sport seats were introduced but supposedly was corrected with different foam. I haven't been able to find any info from anyone with first hand experience on this though.

It was the sports seats they sit way to high just don't work with what I want.

HELP! Need help with front seats for my 1968 Camaro.

Can you lower the brackets by cutting and rewelding or take out that stiff foam and put in different foam?I only say this because I saw people have the same problem you do and have done just that-

I'm running 04-06 GTO seats in my 55 Chevy. You can usually find them for less than $500, which leaves you plenty left over to have them re-upholstered to match your interior. They might not be as aggressive as the Corbeaus though.

I have same problem in my 67 vert....I'm only 5'6" and my head is at the top bow....I have the sport "r" seats they look good and feel good but are really high.....I miss the wore out foams of the originals ;)

Country Flag: Canada
      Yup, I've been through this a few times with different bracket setups (made myself), it is literally impossible to get the stock seats with TMI sport foams etc. low enough in the 1st gens and you can only get so low with the brackets before its impossible to get the bolts into the floor.

I did like my Corbeau's a LOT, decent headroom and I didn't even get the 1" shaved base which is even better

Here's my old setup ...

Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Seats fit folks in different ways. Try finding a seat that fits you well and adapt it to the car.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I have been looking at the RSS as well. Let me know if you end up ordering them.

Name:  camaro.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  422.6 KBI have a 1969 camaro Vert, and i am 5'5". The seat are much too high, even for me. I am not the smallest in the butt and shoulder, and even with the increased bolstering, I slide all over the place side to side in turns. They may be OK with custom brackets and removal of a lot of foam in the base IF you are a very big person. I am not, so they are for sale. I replaced them with Sparco Milanos in Alacantra blue, and the Sparcos are much better.

I like those seats! Oh, and look, my 1000th post. Man that took long enough....

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      Yup, I've been through this a few times with different bracket setups (made myself), it is literally impossible to get the stock seats with TMI sport foams etc. low enough in the 1st gens and you can only get so low with the brackets before its impossible to get the bolts into the floor.

I did like my Corbeau's a LOT, decent headroom and I didn't even get the 1" shaved base which is even better

Here's my old setup ...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com