Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

HELP PLEASE Exhaust smell is bad inside car

please help i have an bad exhaust smell that gets in my car .i have new headers no leaks new flowmaster 2.5 inch all the way to the rear of car .now it is cut just short of being able to see it so the pipes are hidden from site .with or with out the windows up the smell gets in the car and makes it hard to drive as the smell is bad .i had the muffler shop check no leaks .the car has been dynomatted through out and the trunks also i see no leaks .cant get it figured out has nay one had the same problem .they are trying to tell me to install converters but i never see anyone run them on an older car .any advice would be great please
      1969 Camaro
      496 BBC
      411 moser rear
      6 speed
      british racing green
      money pit is killing me

Country Flag: Canada
      It might be your trunk seal is leaking, once I took my car out for a drive and did not have the trunk closed (just open an inch) and right away I could smell exhaust fumes.

Put your car in the garage and shut the door. Roll up your windows, close any vents tape over the vents in the rear of the door jamb. Put the heater on high, blower high, and shut the door. Now your car is slightly pressurized by the blower. Light a cigarette or incense stick and run it around every seal, starting with the trunk. Any air escaping will show up. It's normal for some air to escape around the bottom of the side windows.

Make sure your hood seal at the cowl is in place properly or engine smells can enter the vents.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I have a very similar situation. The only difference is that my car is stinky free with the windows up. I roll them down and my wife will barely let me in the house. I think its because my exhaust dumps in front of the axle.
      "Keep Shifting Gears"

Hate to state the obvious, but does the engine run well? If its running rich, it's going to stink in general.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Hate to state the obvious, but does the engine run well? If its running rich, it's going to stink in general.
      motor was just built and tuned .have replace the cowl seal and the trunk seal car does not smell with windows up and air on but if you crack the windows seems like the smell is getting sucked into the car .cannot ride with windows down at all please help me .no shop have an answer for me i know i am not the only one here

1969 Camaro
      496 BBC
      411 moser rear
      6 speed
      british racing green
      money pit is killing me

did you check for any oil leaks that may dribble onto the headers or pipes, or maybe grease spots from hands on anything that need time to burn off?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com