Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

68 Camaro RS, Single Turbo Build..All Knowlegeable Turbo Comments welcome

Okay just wanted to start a Build post. As well will love to see any comments. Some will say it want last, possibly it will last, want make power, will make power..etc.. I'm not a Turbo guy, know nothing about it, except I like the power, and how it feels. Now with that said.

My current set-up. 68 Camaro RS, 373 gears, 200r4 (built to handle 1100hp, with trans brake, and 3500 stall). Engine SBC 383 10-8 compression, Block was purchased New when I built the engine (just a standard 4 Bolt block..(pretty sure I don't have Billet caps) 6" H beam rods, Scat Crank, Mahlie Forged Flat Top Pistons, Dart 215 heads, Cam is a custom ground Erson (if you need any specs I will post what I have), MLS head gasket/ Intake Edelbrock Victor Jr Polished, All ARP bolts top to bottom, EFI is the Fast 2.0 / Tank is the Stealth Tank / 3" SS Exhaust. Power is 400rwhp NA, and 600RWHP on Nitrous.

Plan: I wanted to go Turbo. I want to be 600 plus to the Tires. The Shop that is going to build this turbo set up said we leave the engine as is and they are going to build the Turbo set up.

I want it all Polished to look good as well.

Here is what the list is they will do.

Turbo BorgWarner S400SX3-76

Meth Injection Kit

Intercooler: 900HP Garrett High Density Intercooler Core w/ATP cast End Tanks (ATP-INT-008)

Bow Off Valve 11 PS: Q.11

Tial 60mm Wastegate V60

All custom made piping/headers

So I'm sure there are going to be comments...I'm good with that since I don't know anything about building a Turbo set-up.

My Concerns was the obvious. I don't want to grenade my engine, was told we will be fine. Also the boost level will be kept at a minimum.

I will invite the builder to the thread to see if he wants to add anything. As well I will post before/during and after pics of the build, and numbers.

I'm really excited to see the build, especially in this vehicle, but don't want to waste 11k on a build if I destroy what I already have. The guy who is building the set up does awesome fabrication, and really can't wait to see how nice and tight this is going to look.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

First off, nice car.
      Second, (my thoughts only) 10.8 CR is a bit high for pump gas unless you keep the boost really low, then there goes your 600 WHP thoughts. If you go with 110 octane or so, you can keep the CR and make the horses. The meth will help a ton, but I don't personally know since I've never messed with it. I'm assuming your staying carb'd? If so I would recommend buying a good pro built carb for it and an MSD 6AL-2 that you can program a curve into. You can make it work otherwise with a "homemade" carb and locking the distributor but if you're buying.....! LoL!
      Third, learn all you can about boost and tuning for boost and how it all works. You may already know, but if you don't know about the stuff, check out the turbo forums and read and read and read. There are a couple old books that are helpful, one is called Maximum Boost but Corky Bell and the other is called Turbochargers by Hugh Mccines (sp?)

Boost is fuuuUUn!! Good luck!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

I would lok into going E85, it'll be nice and responsive with the higher compression no doubt!
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Thanks for the response. I'm actually using the Fast 2.0 (looks like a carb) it has 8 (87lb injectors and they say it is good to support up to 1100hp, so hopefully that will work out good. As far as tuning I will pay to have it tuned, but as you suggested I'm reading, and in the learning process...allot to take in. I too thought the compression was to high but they (the shop doing the turbo) has claimed/ensured me I will be good, I guess time will soon tell and I will keep this post up to date. They also said that I will have the 600hp again time will soon tell.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      First off, nice car.
      Second, (my thoughts only) 10.8 CR is a bit high for pump gas unless you keep the boost really low, then there goes your 600 WHP thoughts. If you go with 110 octane or so, you can keep the CR and make the horses. The meth will help a ton, but I don't personally know since I've never messed with it. I'm assuming your staying carb'd? If so I would recommend buying a good pro built carb for it and an MSD 6AL-2 that you can program a curve into. You can make it work otherwise with a "homemade" carb and locking the distributor but if you're buying.....! LoL!
      Third, learn all you can about boost and tuning for boost and how it all works. You may already know, but if you don't know about the stuff, check out the turbo forums and read and read and read. There are a couple old books that are helpful, one is called Maximum Boost but Corky Bell and the other is called Turbochargers by Hugh Mccines (sp?)

Boost is fuuuUUn!! Good luck!

If you're going E85 and FI, that changes things quite a bit as that fuel raises the octane points a bunch and the tuning capabilities of the FI is outstanding. Shouldn't be too much of a stretch then.

Still learn tho! LoL!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

I don't plan on running E85 just 93octane with the intercooler and meth injection...

You might plan on running the thickest head gaskets you can get, just to take the edge off the CR.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Yeah I understand the head gasket question, but If I was even going to break into the engine then I would just go ahead and drop some different pistons in it and call it a day, but for now the builder has ensured me that we will be fine, so if the engine melts down I guess I can see what his response is going to be.

Parts coming in hopefully start the building in the next week or so.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Well the Car has been dropped off...so Now its a patiently waiting game to see how it turns out...will be taking pictures of it weekly until complete, figure its going to be 6-8 weeks...

[/URL]

Well here is a little update pics. Driver side header built. Once everything has been completed then it will all be sent off for coating, except the cold side will be polished to include the Turbo (hot side will be coated with a blanket as well.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

A step closer. Once all mocked up will tear down to send hotside out for coating, and the Turbo housing and cold side will be polished.

[/URL][/URL]
      [/URL]

I was expecting the headers to look a whole lot nicer than that. The little 1/2" sections welded in tells me he is a rookie header builder.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

A little more ... can't wait to see it complete , and all parts polished, and running

Mocking up the intercooler

[/URL]

[/URL]

Some update pics on the exhaust, and waste gate area.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Kinda late response now, but I think the better carb bonnet to use is one with a divider inside?

https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...ml%3B350%3B205

Not too sure if it really makes a difference, but the design you installed makes me think most of the pressurized air is going to the back 2 butterfly valves.

I have not seen any testing on this matter, just me thinking to myself about the possibility aft cylinders getting more air.

With the flexible couplers, you do not want the ones with a mesh center section on the inside. They tend to collapse & then restrict airflow.

Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=flex...-2%3B700%3B400

You want this style coupler on the inside: https://www.google.com/search?q=flex...2F%3B800%3B701
      FYI, the way your wastegate is mounted is not the best way for proper exhaust flow, it will work, it's just not ideal.

Abrupt 90 degree turn of exhaust flow entering the wastegate, not great.
      The re-entry of the wastegated exhaust back into the exhaust system is OK.

What trans & crossmember are you using?
      Trans pan looks deep, does it hang down low, like the lowest part of your undercarriage?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to help out, on the BB/forums, hard to see actually what a poster is trying to communicate onto a bulletin board.

My wastegate is a different set-up, but just to use a picture,, you want to exhaust to enter into the wastegate as easily as possible, then when introducing the exhaust back into the main exhaust system, you want a gradual shallow entry.

Good info. Thanks

No problem.
      What trans & crossmember are you using?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com