Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Race Report - Cruisin the Smokies

First of all, Thanks to Bill Howell, Brian Finch and their crew that ran the Auto-X on Friday. There were 83 cars in four classes and they ran out over 1000 laps! The BFG "Share the Ride" was in full swing and gave over 100 rides.

As for Keith and Velocity, had a blast, but somewhat cautiously. Last weekend the clutch showed us it's death rattle, so this weekend it was all about not pushing the clutch too far. We got a new Centerforce Diad in on Thursday, but not enough time to change it out. Also, the used scrub tires that we put on initially are done, almost slicks. Again, a new set arrived on Thursday, but no time to change. Because of the cars current limitations, we decided to do a "No Tuning" day. No shock, sway bar, or spring tuning, just air pressure and driver adjustments. Keith was still very happy with the car, made some solid laps getting used to the seat and steering wheel, and even had two laps with an EVO driving school instructor. By days end he was running fast and smooth lines, and even won his class with a 39.971 (Vintage Class was '89 and older). What is most impressive to me is how he would have stacked up in the Pro Class.

Pro Class Times:
      Brian Finch 70 Camaro 38.584
      Rob MacGregor 70 C10 38.856
      Bret Voelkel 70 Mustang 39.002
      Chris Smith 69 Vette 39.432 (Chris broke mid day friday)
      ** Kieth Corrigan 68 Camaro 39.971 **
      Tyler Powel 67 Vette 40.191
      Tim McGilton 71 Camaro 40.313

This is only the fourth event out for this car with the new Sniper IFS, and Keith has less than 50 Auto-X laps in the car. Add to that, the car has changed every time it's been out. Yeah, we're happy with the results. Next up, Clutch and Tires, then it's on to Nashville.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I got to see a complete frame on the stand at your trailer.

I have to say it is a very nice piece.
      Totally out of the box, and all of the parts look very heavy duty. Especially hub/spindle/balljoints.

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post

Totally out of the box, and all of the parts look very heavy duty. Especially hub/spindle/balljoints.
      Thanks Randy. The guys work really hard to turn out the best IFS available. We're proud of the Hub/Spindle assembly, it turned out better than expected, strong and light.

Lca

Here is a look at the lower control arms, and their relationship in the Sub-Frame. The bushings are wide, 3" x 1.75" with a .875" x .120" inner sleeve. Both bushings are fitted with grease ports. The main tubing is 1.125" x .188" DOM custom machined ball joint sockets with a wide lower band. These use the large Chrysler screw in ball joints #K727. Nice choice for strength and easy service. Also, these are available in Mono-Ball, Low Friction, Tall, and Adjustable styles from the racing aftermarket. I set the can in for size reference. (If you're stopping by for a visit, these are always welcome, or the other silver cans) The kick down in the leading tube is for steering clearance. The next two picts show the A-arms in the Sub-Frame so that you can see the relationship to one another and the vehicle center line.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post

I was looking at it too and thought the same things! Very nice!
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Country Flag: Canada
      Those arms are looooong. They look like something you would see on a desert racer.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Congratulations to Keith on the win.

The front sub looks great! Everything is really well thought out.

Quick bump.

Rob,
      Do you have a pic of velocity with the motor and sub installed? If you do, would you please post it when you get a a chance.

Keith and Velocity at CTS

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  255.8 KB
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

Keith,

Thanks for the pic. Do you have a picture with the hood open? I'm curious about the room in the engine bay? Also, what does the air intake look like?

Ill get you some
      Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      Keith,

Thanks for the pic. Do you have a picture with the hood open? I'm curious about the room in the engine bay? Also, what does the air intake look like?

Race Report - Nashville

With the weather a bit iffy, we held out for the final decision to go until Wednesday evening, things were looking a little better, so we decided yes. The Camaro was ready (truck also) and we headed to NashVegas. Friday morning was a bit of a mess, between traffic and the LP Field traffic Nazi's, we were too late in to walk the coarse. - even missed the first run. As you've heard, the coarse was tight and narrow, and we found it tough to find a rhythm. The Pro class was filled with more than 20 cars, and all of them fast. Neither Keith nor myself got a clean lap in on Friday, and Saturday was rained out. The fastest recorded lap for Keith was a 52.708, for 9th place. (for comparison, I recorded a 52.529, for 8th place) Kieth's time includes one cone penalty (51.708 +1). From my notes I have him with a fastest run lap of 51.273 + 2 cones. We spent most of the day playing around with steering wheels and shock valving. For the most part we are very happy with the cars performance. It does everything you ask it to do. The best part may be the street manners, as it is a pleasure to drive around town or on the highway. Next USCA Kentucky. See ya there

Rob,
      With the 3/4" engine offset to the passenger side how does that effect the drive shaft working angle? Is the pinion offset as well?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Rob,
      With the 3/4" engine offset to the passenger side how does that effect the drive shaft working angle? Is the pinion offset as well?
      We keep the pinion centered. Having the engine offset is no problem, as long as the engine/trans centerline is still parallel to the vehicle centerline. So, if you move the front of the engine over 3/4", you have to move the trans mount pad over the same 3/4". Really i was shooting for 1", but that put some clearances too close, and yes, that last 1/4" makes a difference. Remember that the drive shaft and U-joints can move side-to-side just as they move up-and-down.

I must say there is a new player in the game now. I have drove this car several times.... And it doesn't suck.

Rob,
      How much shorter is the snout on the Sniper spindle as opposed to a standard Wide Five spindle? I'm having trouble with track width on the front of my Chevelle Wide Five project......

Hey Rob,

You're doing a great job here--it's good for all of us that you're taking a Ron Sutton-level approach to educating the motorhead public while producing what will undoubtedly be a suspension/chassis setup that will make everyone else stand up and worry. I didn't have much understanding of scrub radius before this thread, so thank you for the knowledge you're dropping with the product rollout.

If you wouldn't mind, might you share the length of that lower control arm, and maybe the space between the mounting points? Since you moved east, some of us just might have to wait a bit too long to run into you at an event any time soon (with our cameras and dirty knees), and those of us without Camaros might have a bit of trouble trying to find sufficient perspective to determine scale in the pictures.

Again, thanks for the free education!

For any of you who might be interested I will have Velocity out at NCM Raceway Park this weekend for the USCA event there. You can check out the Sniper IFS up close and in-person as we go head to head with some of the best rides in the country!!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

Are there any plans on re-designing the c10 wide-ride using Some of these components?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
      Are there any plans on re-designing the c10 wide-ride using Some of these components?
      I doubt it. There really isn't the gains to be had there. If you look at the C10 Wide Ride IFS, it already has great geometry, fits a 345 tire up front, low scrub radius, great ackerman, and fits well in the C10 marketplace. (bolt-on, affordable price point) and many available options. Add to that the success of Chris Smith and Wes Drelleshak, both of their trucks have Wide-Ride IFS's, and No Limit rear suspensions, and for the most part, no other trucks have out run them. So, you can see that there isn't much reason to fit a Sniper IFS for a C10 chassis.

- BUT, I'm not sayin that there won't be a Sniper IFS fitted with a unique rail system that could easily be fitted to say, an 'A' body, and that such an IFS could be integrated into a truck chassis. No, I wouldn't bet against that.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com