Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Smaller p/s pulley Holley accessory drive, headers ls 71 nova

Hi all, I know I saw it somewhere, I have been searching and I can not seem to find it. I am looking for a smaller p/s pulley for the corvette p/s pump that came with my holley front accessory drive set up. I have this in a 71 nova and the pulley is so close that I think that when I go to align it the control arm will hit the pulley. Any help greatly appreciated. On a side note any thoughts on headers with great steering box clearance feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by paul3078 View Post
      Hi all, I know I saw it somewhere, I have been searching and I can not seem to find it. I am looking for a smaller p/s pulley for the corvette p/s pump that came with my holley front accessory drive set up. I have this in a 71 nova and the pulley is so close that I think that when I go to align it the control arm will hit the pulley. Any help greatly appreciated. On a side note any thoughts on headers with great steering box clearance feel free to chime in.
      You can use the GM CTSV pulley (part number 12578552) or the 300-126 Dorman part number, which is another 1/2" smaller in diameter than the CTSV pulley even (CTSV pulley=6.25" diameter, Dorman pulley= 5.75" diameter). If you use the CTSV pulley you need to leave is slightly shy of the end of the pump shaft for proper belt alignment; there is no such requirement for the Dorman pulley.

The Hooker headers for your application have excellent ground and component clearances for your application, including the steering box, but you'll have to use the Hooker engine brackets and transmission crossmember to be able benefit from their fitment characteristics.

Thanks Toddoky, ended up getting the dorman pulley, worked great! Plenty of room now. I have doug's headers on the car now with slider mounts and old school type motor mounts, not clamshell. I was able to raise frame mount 1/4" and now have ok clearance at steering box. With all the room behind the #3 tube I dont understand why they didn't bend that tube in some more. Oh well, such is custom building, right ?

Thanks Toddoky, ended up getting the dorman pulley, worked great! Plenty of room now. I have doug's headers on the car now with slider mounts and old school type motor mounts, not clamshell. I was able to raise frame mount 1/4" and now have ok clearance at steering box. With all the room behind the #3 tube I dont understand why they didn't bend that tube in some more. Oh well, such is custom building, right ?
      Glad to hear that pulley worked out for you. When you control the design geometry of all the mounting components (engine brackets and transmission crossmembers) to the level of detail that we do with our Hooker kits the end results of header clearance are far more impressive than what you get from using universal swap components developed independently by different companies. A case in point would be the steering box clearance of the Hooker headers for your application, which is achieved simultaneously with better U-joint working angles and a lower vehicle center of gravity. The picture here will give you an idea of how much clearance is there in that area.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, that's some nice clearance! I am going to take some measurements/comparisons to those pics. If they are the same then a set of those headers is on my list! I had manual steering before and the car was drag only, so everything fit ok. Now its street car, ride tech suspension, power steering... Are you the guy that works for Holley? If so I have another question. Does your exhaust kit for the nova clear the ride tech air bar 4 link rear suspension.

Wow, that's some nice clearance! I am going to take some measurements/comparisons to those pics. If they are the same then a set of those headers is on my list! I had manual steering before and the car was drag only, so everything fit ok. Now its street car, ride tech suspension, power steering... Are you the guy that works for Holley? If so I have another question. Does your exhaust kit for the nova clear the ride tech air bar 4 link rear suspension.
      The fitment and ground clearance is great, but you have to use specific Hooker engine mounting brackets to be able to achieve the same clearances shown in the photo. The brackets referenced are quite different from the common frame stand/swap plate arrangement that guys use and retrofit later style GM clamshell mounts onto your subframe. The brackets set the engine lower in the subframe for an improved vehicle center of gravity and optimized U-joint working angles.

One tube on the right side header will also need to be modified for compatibility with the ridetech Tru-turn system if that is what you are using.

Yes, I'm the design engineer here at Holley that designs all of the Hooker LS swap products. The Nova exhaust system will most likely not clear the air bar 4-link system and would need to be modified to do so.

Well that's a bummer, I heard a rumor that the exhaust fit.. guess it's plan b, cash in a favor and bend my own. however, I would be willing to be guinea pig for tailpipe experimentation if you are so inclined. As far as the headers are concerned, any chance you have a test fit set? I'd hate to buy a set and not be able to use them. Obviously I would incur all shipping costs if you have a set to send me. I am going to reference the third head bolt as being straight across from the steering box adjuster stud and see how close I am to your set up. And I have seen that you are willing to modify the right side for the Tru-turn? Are you still doing that? As far as that mod is concerned, if that mod allows for fitment of tru-turn and doesn't effect any other fit issues, why not make it permanent? Then you could market your headers as Tru-turn compatible. Or would the bean counters squash that idea? :-) Just a thought. My mounts put my oil pan very low in the chassis, about 1/2" from the crossmember now. Is the hooker set up lower? I have the Holley pan but I believe the earlier one not the f/x body specific one.

Well that's a bummer, I heard a rumor that the exhaust fit.. guess it's plan b, cash in a favor and bend my own. however, I would be willing to be guinea pig for tailpipe experimentation if you are so inclined. As far as the headers are concerned, any chance you have a test fit set? I'd hate to buy a set and not be able to use them. Obviously I would incur all shipping costs if you have a set to send me. I am going to reference the third head bolt as being straight across from the steering box adjuster stud and see how close I am to your set up. And I have seen that you are willing to modify the right side for the Tru-turn? Are you still doing that? As far as that mod is concerned, if that mod allows for fitment of tru-turn and doesn't effect any other fit issues, why not make it permanent? Then you could market your headers as Tru-turn compatible. Or would the bean counters squash that idea? :-) Just a thought. My mounts put my oil pan very low in the chassis, about 1/2" from the crossmember now. Is the hooker set up lower? I have the Holley pan but I believe the earlier one not the f/x body specific one.
      Hey Paul. I don't have any loaner parts to send out but can assure you that the headers won't provide good fitment with your current engine mount set-up. You would have to cut a 1" deep channel in your subframe to be able to install your current Holley pan with the Hooker engine bracket kit, which should give you an idea how much lower the engine sits in the car with them. I did modify a few headers for a couple of guys to verify the geometry change I plan to use in a future product update to the headers. I did the modifications free of charge, but am no longer doing it due to lacking the time to do so. All the Hooker swap parts for your application should be looked at as separate pieces of a comprehensively designed system, which are not well adapted for use with parts from other manufactures who base the design of their products around the fitment geometry provided by the factory frame stands and swap plates.

Ok then. Well the current set up works, even though not ideal so I will stick with it for now. Guess I will wait til I pull the motor for some reason then reconsider the changes. Thanks for the info so I didn't spend alot of unnecessary time and money chasing my tail. I may just modify the drivers header myself, there's plenty of room, as your design shows. I still like the exhaust so may buy it and mod the tailpipes as well.

Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Hey Paul. I don't have any loaner parts to send out but can assure you that the headers won't provide good fitment with your current engine mount set-up. You would have to cut a 1" deep channel in your subframe to be able to install your current Holley pan with the Hooker engine bracket kit, which should give you an idea how much lower the engine sits in the car with them. I did modify a few headers for a couple of guys to verify the geometry change I plan to use in a future product update to the headers. I did the modifications free of charge, but am no longer doing it due to lacking the time to do so. All the Hooker swap parts for your application should be looked at as separate pieces of a comprehensively designed system, which are not well adapted for use with parts from other manufactures who base the design of their products around the fitment geometry provided by the factory frame stands and swap plates.
      Toddoky, the swap headers and brackets need to be packaged into one order number. Just trying to find the parts on the hooker or holley site is a exercise in frustration! Or at least have links to the other pieces from each individual part.
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Quote Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
      Toddoky, the swap headers and brackets need to be packaged into one order number. Just trying to find the parts on the hooker or holley site is a exercise in frustration! Or at least have links to the other pieces from each individual part.
      That type of listing with related links is being built on the Holley website now. It's not feasible to package kits as there are too many possible combinations of parts that can be created with all the variations of the headers available and the inventory requirement would be unmanageable.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com