Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Tow VIA bumper

Country Flag: United States

Tow VIA bumper

I have searched this forum but still really did not find what I was looking for. On many vintage cars (like my 1st gen camaro) there is no easy spot to add a tow hook for track use. Up front no big deal, but the rear is tough. I don't want to pull on the axle/ suspension. Can I just add a tow hook directly to the bumper? Seems like a solid spot. I could use two or more mounting holes but I've never seen it done. What am I missing?

The rear bumper brackets are the only place you can safely pull on a 1st Gen. Ideally the bracket would tie into all three bumper brackets to spread the load across the entire tail panel.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Where the bumper bolts to the tail panel on each side is pretty strong. It's in-line with the frame rail on each side and the bumper bolts go into a reinforcing bracket that sits on top of the frame rail inside the trunk. This is the strongest place to put a tow ring. If you have two tow rings, and got stuck bad, they could hook to both rings and cut the point load in half.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-03-2015 at 03:23 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks guys. Does the bumper already tie those points together enough? One or two 3/8" grade 8 bolts should have more than enough shear strength to support pulling the car back on track (I think, need to make sure), so if I just bolted a tow hook direct to the bumper with 3/8" bolts would I be ok? I was thinking of using one made from 1/4" steel plate or something similar. Maybe even remove it when on the street. It seems like the bumper would be a logical spot to pull from but I never see it being done. The closest I see is newer cars that have a spot to screw in under the bumper cover, which I assume ties into the actual metal bumper.

Hey thanks Jchinn6! That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I was going to fab some up myself, but I think I will go with the ones from Meanstreet. Never even heard of them

Glad it helped. I got one last week but haven't installed it yet. It is a real nice piece.

please post pictures of the part installed!!
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Name:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  209.3 KB

Got these in the mail yesterday - I'm very happy with them

I have not installed the rear one yet but the front was really easy. No need to pull the bumper, it bolts right to the frame bracket with longer bolts. Feels heavy duty and the welds are nice. It should be red but I like the black powdercoat.

Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  181.1 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com