Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Vintage Air Heating Problem- 69 Camaro/LS1

I just installed a Compac Gen II vintage air/heat system in my 69 Camaro with a 2000 LS1. I filled the engine with coolant, started car, turned on the heater controls once engine reach 180 degrees (48102-SVQ Vertical panel) and the air coming out of the vents is cold! The hose with the heater control valve is not hot when the engine temp has exceed 180 degree thermostat??? Here are my connections:

I used the back fitting off the LS1 water pump (small opening) for the pressure line going to the evaporator. I installed the heater control device in this hose(flow arrow pointing towards evaporator) and connected it to the longer water tube coming out of the evaporator (the one closest to the glove box).

The other hose was connected to the front fitting on the water pump (larger opening) and it was attached to the shorter copper line coming out of the evaporator (closest to firewall).

Anyone got any suggestions on why the heating system is not working? Before installation I confirmed with a tech at Vintage Air the small opening on the LS1 water pump is the pressure line (heater control valve should be installed on this hose) and that it didn't matter which heater tube is used on the evaporator! Thanks in advance for any feedback concerning this heating issue!

Chuck
      Charlotte, NC

Country Flag: United States
      If it was a recently bought unit(since last summer), it will have the new plastic heater control valve. This is a much more reliable unit than the old metal HCV.

If you can see the HCV, you should be able to see the servo moving as you go from hot to cold on your control. I would check this first and go from there. It sounds like the valve is not opening. The Gen II system is pretty reliable.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

Country Flag: United States
      Has your issues been resolved? If not, please call Shane in the Tech Dept. 1-800-862-6658 ext. 198. I will be more than happy to assist you.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com