Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      IT'S RUNNING -- -- Fired right up -- My timing light took a dump so I was just guessing where I was at --- and was trying to guess where I was at with the fuel but it was sounding real nice.........

No sooner than I bragged about how great my 16300 starters (ACVW starter for an Auto trans), I had mine go out --- Damn it!!! -- -- So, I jumped into my car and drove over to CarCraft in Riverside, CA, all the while preparing to buy another 16300 (and get lunch at Zorba's).... Was setting there bench racing with Bob Godfrey and whining about losing a starter, Ed perks up and said that he had this new brand new starter "OE Brand -- Part Number BA16450" out of Florida making some really killer starters.... I'm going, Yeah, Yeah, I've heard this all before... So Ed brings one out. They are tiny and light!!! I'm looking at it and thinking there's no way that this little thing is gonna spin my 2963.... He says, you buy this, and if you don't like it, bring it back in the original box and I'll put 100% of the money towards another starter.... OK, what do I have to lose except another chance to come over to CarCraft and go to Zorba's Hamburgers for lunch (I live for a Zorba Burger and Onion Rings from this place -- they are great!!!! Remember that the next time your in the area)..... SO, I bring this thing home, throw it into the car and this little starter is winging my engine at a higher RPM than I have ever had..... Really impressed with this little thing!!!!!!

You ever get your carb issues sorted out? I dont want to see that thing spraying fuel out anymore! I thought that thing was going to catch on fire when you started it up for me.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Confucius says -- You definitely have an over rich condition, if you are finding pinholes in your intake by fuel squirting out.......

Words to live by if you ask me.....

Hey 'zilla -- I believe it was just some junk in the fuel lines causing the float to stick -- -- and the stupidity of me twisting the float adjustment the wrong way making it worse.... LOL -- -- I put some tubes on top of the vents so it squirts out behind the car now instead of flooding back into the carb.... at least I wasn't going to get a lean pop as it was...... When I got home I pulled the boot by the turbo and about a half gallon of fuel poured out from the pump running after the engine died.....

Yeah -- the carb is pretty well sorted in right now except that either the squirter is too large or the pump size needs to drop to a 33cc, or both, or maybe some different cams/ramps for the squirter -- it starts and runs perfect -- and if you ease into the throttle, it rev's nicely,,, but if you wack the throttle, it just floods out..... Gonna call Jeff 'the Holley god' Book tomorrow, as he lives just up the street, and see if he has any parts laying around to help me out....

Have you got Bugzilla's new heart ready to play yet????

Good to hear you got most of the carb issues solved!

Nope, the Bug has got a permanently broken heart. I have another short block for it but I am not going to use it. I found some other issues with it and a short block will solve the spun bearing issue but none of the other odd ones I found. So I am joining the dark side and going with a turbo 2.0L.... Should have the new engine built and installed in a few weeks.

Just got back from J & M over in Riverside and they had a pretty good selection of 'accelerator pump nozzles' or as I know them, squirters, got a 25, 28 and a 31.... Put the 25 in and immediately fixed the problem.... now to stick the 28 on the secondary's and see if it will drive.... Tomorrow, when the rain quits....

Congratulations! I'm happy to see you back at it!
      My thoughts and ramblings while working on my motor driven menagerie http://mechanicdude.blogspot.com/

Awesome to see it driving again but it looks like its been so long that you forgot how to drive a manual! Haha. Coming out to the next event?

Very cool! I've owned a bunch of Bugs; a 53 split, 55 & 57 ovals, 67, 68, and a 72. All modified cars and fun to own. My last VW was a 74 Ghia with 2110 Berg motor,40mm Dellortos, Carrera fan housing assy, and a close ratio trans. Attended the Bug-Ins at the Texas Motorplex, almost every year. Always wanted a 66-67 Doublecab but couldn't afford a nice one,back then.

Went to the Pomona Swap meet today.... ((Bet you guys can tell the wife is out of town for a week))

Wow, I haven't been to one in over 20 years and this thing was massive. Easy 200 VW's in the VW corral. Got a wild hair and hung a For Sale sign on the Ghia for $20K as the guy in the Porsche powered Bus next to me had a price of $100K on it..... But the side panels on it were soooooo straight, I could of taken a picture of my Ghia off it (or you can see my car in the reflection off the door)..... The Double cab behind me was gorgeous too!!!!

No one wanted a HotRod Ghia LOL........

Hey BUGZILLA -- when is the next event?????

I need new tires though. I've been rolling on these for 5 years now and they are a little hard now....... Like trying to go a Gnarly 2nd gear burnout in the street and they don't even leave marks LOL. Great for spinning though LOL

Here is a picture of the engine -- finished -- for now -- this week -- today

Have made some templates to cover all the openings around the engine, but need to get some sheet metal to finish.... I've got some stainless sheet laying around but other than my 4" grinder, I really don't have a way of cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghiaguy View Post
      Hey BUGZILLA -- when is the next event?????

I need new tires though. I've been rolling on these for 5 years now and they are a little hard now....... Like trying to go a Gnarly 2nd gear burnout in the street and they don't even leave marks LOL. Great for spinning though LOL
      Next race is Sept 16-17. I should be there for both days. That gives you a month to get new tires!

Didn't take any pictures or videos as I went by myself, but I went out to California Speedway for some AutoX this past Saturday. The event was held by Fastivus. Did some laps. My 5-6 year old tires were really holding me back.... The rear end was sliding out from under me the whole time and when it wasn't, the front end was pushing......

Had the speed up for a tight section and was trying to whip the rear around to setup for the next section .. .. .. Ended up doing this really slow looping slide right through this huge area of cones..... Did win the unofficial award for most cones collected (knocked down) for the day LOL

Noticed the Ghia wasn't pulling as hard as 'normal' -- found the seal between the hat and the carb had squirted out -- need to find a fix for that.....Then I got really impressed with the Ghia when I realized that I'd been running all day on just engine.... no boost

Lance Gregory donated a parachute lever and cable to me after he finished his promod build a few years ago..... I've been having issues with the cable and release for the hood on the Ghia.... Then I got this wild hair and now I've got a bullet proof hood release......

Showed up at 4pm at California Speedway to spend the night -- unfortunately there was a test and tune that day and there was still a ton of V8 guys there clogging up the pits -- so I choose a spot that was way out beyond the finish line.... peace and quiet,,, Yeah right the Silverbugget guys were 100 feet away.

So there I am profiling with my motorhome thinking I'm cool -- -- then Dave Rosique (sp?) drives in.....

And he ruins the neighborhood with his coolness..... LOL

I jump into the Ghia and drive over to the Drippers meet at BurgerTown hoping for the magic of Nick's to return to SoCal.... But most everybody must of missed that memo as there was only about 15 VW's there. Maybe the DKK thing all day killed this meet...... But what was there was really nice, I should of taken more pictures

So, everybody that was there from the campout had to be back by 8 as the gates were locked at that time... I did my best to do a nice leave, had some sideways action going and headed back to CMS... found out my headlight switch is going bad as I had no dash or tail lights for the 9 mile return trip in the dark... also Had a nice fog following me as I had sucked a valve cover gasket at some point too (wonder when that was????)

When I got back, the party was going full blast at numerous locations, everybody seemed to have a full bar and the World Series going..... after visiting several of the parties I stumbled back to my MH and proceeded to nose into my pillow and ignore the several occasions of pounding at the door to get me to come out to play some more... that is until someone drove an uncorked VW by at 7 AM... I could of killed them, if I could of lifted my head off the pillow....

But by now the gates were open, people were POURING in, and there wasn't any more sleeping to be had.... Great turn out! The Car show area was 90% full by the time I got to functioning, so I said screw it and kept my oil leaking pig in my pit.... Soon all the Red Baron crew started showing up and I almost didn't save enough area for everyone to park.... The baron was running real good and Eric took it all the way to the finals until a oil filter took a poop and started leaking as he was staging and he had to shut off giving the win to Racing' Jason who was running real strong with his Pro Turbo car (5.70's)....

Here's a picture of the area in front of my MH between rounds... remember just how empty it was??? not now, the pits almost went all the way back to the scales!!!!

Oh God, what is the gray car? It's awesome!

That bus is straight up class too.

The word is that Irwindale is closing as of December 31...... Since I'm working about 5 miles from there, I'm thinking that one last trip down the strip is in order.... So Thursday the 28th, the Ghia is getting trailered to Irwindale for one last time.....

Well, here it is the Saturday before Christmas and went to the morning Cars and Coffee in Mentone -- Had about 30 cars and 1 VW show up to congratulate each other on making it through another year LOL.......

The star of the show 'Winston" taking a lap around the lot, collecting the price of admission, a good petting from all in attendance

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com