Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Fresh rebuild on SBC and the rear main is leaking

Alright so here’s what I got: 1968 Camaro pro-touring set up. I bought it about three months ago, and I really haven’t had a chance to go through it, but I was in the middle of doing a swap from the current turbo 350 automatic to a T56 six speed when I noticed it was leaking oil from the rear of the motor. I thought initially it may have been that the oil pan wasn’t tight but after tightening it down it was still leaking. It wasnt doing this when I first bought it, and since Ive had it, I haven't driven it much becasue I started the T56 swap pretty much right away.

Specs: 1968 Camaro with a built 388 stroker, 8.5:1, Vortech V3 supercharger on 5psi. MSD 6al, distributer, coil, and boost box.
      Scat crank, Isky solid roller cam, 570 lift 290 duration, Pro Tru pistons (5004H6), Eagle rods, Rev kit, Bow tie heads (64cc). It probably has about 1000 miles on the motor since rebuild.

Is there any there anything I can do to fix the problem short of replacing the rear main? It just seems weird that a fresh rebuild shouldn't have this problem.

Thanks
      KW

Make sure your valve covers are not leaking. I have had them leak and run down the back of the block making it look like an oil pan or rear main leak.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I would suggest that you also ensure that your PCV system is intact and working. On a new build, seal should not be leaking unless incorrectly installed. I would like to believe something else going on here.

Bob

Alright Im going to work on it this weekend putting new carpet and the seat back in so Ill check both the valve covers and PCV system and let you know what I find.

Is the pan stock? My brand new Milodon pan leaked. My buddy with the same pan had the same problem. They did not fit the end seals very well.

I used a one piece Felpro gasket too. I fixed it with black RTV. Not too elegant, but effective.

When installing sbc oil pans, I always discard the end seals and replace with a bead of high quality rtv. Never any problems with aftermarket ill fitting pans this way. Just a thought.

Alright in addition to completing the interior this weekend, with the exception of the shifter boot, i checked the valve covers and pcv. The valve covers seemed fine but the pcv valve wasn't hooked up to anything. It was routed with a hose to the back of the manifold and looked like it was good but when I traced it back it wasn't hooked up. Them problem with hooking it back up was I couldn't find a place to attach it. It seemed like all the ports were taken by the brake boost and a couple other lines to which I'm not sure where they go

After reading your original post over again; I realized that you are supercharging this engine. I am not sure how this will effect your PCV system. In a normally aspirated engine, you could simply tee into the hose going to your vacuum booster and run it to the PCV valve. With the supercharger, intake is not in a vacuum and boost will likely just hold your PCV valve closed, much like it would if you were to have a backfire in your intake. You must vent the crankcase pressure, but I am not the one to make a specific recommendation to you.

Hopefully someone with more boosted intake experience will chime in and give you some pointers.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com