Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Kooks headers seem a little low....

I just replaced my previous set of headers with Kooks LS swap headers hoping for more ground clearance. While I did get about 1" of ground over my last set, I still think they hang a little low. I was wondering if maybe I have the wrong motor mount towers or there is something else that I missed. I am using the headers with Dirty Dingo slider mounts just like they recommended. Other than ground clearance, the headers fit great. Maybe I am asking for too much, but it would be really nice if they didn't hang down much lower than the subframe. It looks like there is plenty of room between the headers and the floorboard.

Has anyone else had experience with these headers? Is this how they were designed and I just need to suck it up and raise the car up?

They are on a 69 Camaro with an LS1.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Just for reference, I believe I am using 69 396/350/302 frame towers and engine mounts. (not 100% sure since it's been a couple years since they were installed)

This is a good post from over at Lat-g http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...ht=motor+mount I would look at the way the motor mounts are bolted up to the block. Hope this helps!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks. The only problem is that I don't believe the Dirty Dingo slider mounts can be flipped. I will try it and see though. Good thinking. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
      Just for reference, I believe I am using 69 396/350/302 frame towers and engine mounts. (not 100% sure since it's been a couple years since they were installed)
      I think those stands set the engine lower to allow for the four barrel carb. I would try the other ones.

Your oil pan also looks low to me.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Below is a quote from pozziracing.com. From this information, it looks like the tall mounts wouldn't really do much (maybe .25"). The frame stands are taller but the actual engine mounts are shorter. Has anyone had experience with this?

"The total height for a 69 Z/28 and high performance mount and frame bracket is:

LH 3 5/8"

RH 3 3/4"

69 motor mount thickness: 2 1/8". (subtract this from above to get frame bracket height).

The total height for A 67/68/69 low performance frame bracket and motor mount is:

Also 67/68 high perf

LH 3 11/16"

RH 3 15/16"

67-68 V8 all, and 69 low perf motor mount: 1 5/8" thick. (subtract this from above to get frame bracket height)"

Problem is fixed. I found out that I already had the low performance SBC towers installed (that was a lot of work to figure out I already had the right parts...). I ended up making 3/8" shims for the motor mount pads and transmission mount. This helped a lot and everything fits great now. I still think it would be nice if the headers didn't hang any lower than the subframe, but that just isn't going to happen.

FWIW: I tried flipping the dirty dingo slider mounts upside down and it didn't really do anything other that create a lot of work trying to get them in and out upside down.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com