Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Fuel vent/ breather options

I have an LS3 in a 68 Camaro. The fuel system is complete and runs great, just not sure what I should do with the vent on the fuel tank.
      I would like to do a breather/ filter type vent but can only find the II Much Fabrication as the only option.
      Is there any others out there that are similar?
      It seems the only other options are regular vents or rollover valves.
      I was hoping to put some kind of filter to prevent any gas odors while the car is parked in the garage. That's why I went fuel injection
      instead of carburation.
      Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's another option.

http://finchperformance.com/
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Cheaper option is go to salvage yard like u- pick and get a canister from a junk car, there are different sizes . I actually made mine, canister is filled with granulated charcoal . I used pic pipe with caps on ends and retrofitted fittings on each end. Works great.
      Jeff

Country Flag: Canada
      Will this work:

Vent line from tank to roll over valve (Can this be mounted horizontal or must be vertical) to early 90's GM charcoal canister and then vent to atmosphere?

Read on a couple Jeep forums this canister off a 3.1-3.8 GM isn't electronic and there's a fresh air valve on the bottom to help with venting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spork82 View Post
      Will this work:

Vent line from tank to roll over valve (Can this be mounted horizontal or must be vertical) to early 90's GM charcoal canister and then vent to atmosphere?

Read on a couple Jeep forums this canister off a 3.1-3.8 GM isn't electronic and there's a fresh air valve on the bottom to help with venting.
      I would like to do a charcoal canister but most I have seen are big and I have limited space under the car. I've got a 4 link plus fuel pump and filter under there already.
      I was thinking of just doing a rollover valve with no breather/ filter or just a vent. It's strictly a street car, no racing in my future, I don't think.
      So I was thinking a rollover valve wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro jeff View Post
      Cheaper option is go to salvage yard like u- pick and get a canister from a junk car, there are different sizes . I actually made mine, canister is filled with granulated charcoal . I used pic pipe with caps on ends and retrofitted fittings on each end. Works great.
      Jeff
      That sounds like a good idea. Go from tank to canister then to vent.
      What size pipe did you use? I'm sure it doesn't matter how big it is.
      Where did you get charcoal from? I will search but figured I'd ask.
      Maybe I'll make it out of copper pipe. My dads a plumber and probably has all the parts I'll need. Tap threads in both ends for fittings.

Country Flag: Canada
      Nats68 I was thinking of mounting mine in the trunk and running the vent line underneath the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Spork82 View Post
      Nats68 I was thinking of mounting mine in the trunk and running the vent line underneath the car.
      I would rather keep it out of the trunk. I'm probably gonna make one out of copper pipe with granulated charcoal. Tap the ends and put barbed fittings, one to tank vent and the other to a rollover valve or vent. Then strap it under the car somewhere. Probably at the very back where the frame rail meets the sheet metal under the trunk.

I used granulated fish tank charcoal that I picked up from Petco. I think a qt was about $10.00. Put barbs on each end and I had an old gas tank fuel filter( metal mesh type) that I put on inside of pvc canister so that charcoal would not find its way back into gas tank. I used 2" pvc because that worked for me but you could use any size just remember that the smaller diameter the longer the pvc. If I remember right I think is about 14" long. Remember to get it above gas tank. Hope this helps.
      Jeff

A charcoal canister is the way to go if smell is an issue. You can't just run to a canister and leave it and expect it to do anything. The system must be sealed to prevent the vapor from escaping or you'll still smell fumes. Once sealed, and by this I mean the total system, so no vented gas caps, you'll start filling the canister. With the fuel vapor contained in the canister, you'll need to "purge" it periodically so more vapor can be contained. Where? To the engine. How? Evap Purge Solenoid. Plumbing is pretty easy, just run the line from the canister to the Evap Purge solenoid. The other side of the solenoid is connected to engine vacuum. When the solenoid is actuated, the engine vacuum pulls the vapor from the canister into the engine and burns it. So how do you vent the tank to allow filling gas or supplying gas? Vent valve. So it works like this. The tank vents to the canister. Some canister have 3 ports (some canisters have the vent valve built into them, so only two) One from the tank for vapor, one or the evap purge solenoid from the engine, and one to the vent valve. The vent valve is basically a pressure diaphragm that allows air to be pulled in when fuel is supplied to the engine, but stays sealed otherwise. The purge solenoid is just a 12 volt connection that could be connected to a switch or EFI output for a specific time frame. All of this parts are cheap and easy to install.

Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com