Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

500 Series Steering Box Experience

68-72 A-body - Has anyone tried or have input/advice on the 500 series steering boxes CPP sells? Seems good cores for 800 series boxes are getting pretty scarce. These would be a good alternative to 800s and 600 series boxes?

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1971 Lemans Sport 461 bottle fed daily driver
      1971 Trans Am 474 blown EFI pro tour car
      1972 442 W-30 clone

Iv'e got no experience with the CPP 500 box but you could always do the good old Jeep Grand Cherokee Saginaw 800 box bolt in. I love mine.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Country Flag: United States
      I have the 500 on my 67 Camaro. Love it. Very tight nice fit no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
      I have the 500 on my 67 Camaro. Love it. Very tight nice fit no complaints.
      Where did you source the box from? CPP?

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1972 442 W-30 clone

I just put a 500 on my '56 wagon to replace a leaking and sloppy 605. Bolted right in and, with a fresh alignment the car is a one handed driver going down the road. MAJOR improvement over the old box.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Mary Pozzi just tested it out on a Chevy High Performance magazine. She raved about it and said it felt real good. I plan on buying one at the Pomona Swap Meet March 1st. Some of these jeep grand Cherokee ones are just ok. They aren't necessarily quick ratio and you have to buy certain years. I also heard of people losing turning radius. I bought one and sold it after a month. I wasn't impressed.

I heard mixed reviews about AGR. Never heard anything negative about the CPP box. And you know people love thrashing CPP.

If you live in So Cal, wait to purchase anything from CPP there at Pomona. They give you a discount plus no tax. I bought they're big brake kit with steel braided lines and painted calipers for 1350 out the door. Saved around 375$. Btw the brakes are good too.
      James W.
      SoCal
      Instagram: @626Chevelle
      1968 Chevelle for the track and fun LS1
      1972 Chevelle True Daily Driver

Used to be known as SlowJammin626

That sounds promising SlowJammin626, I will search for that article.

I'm on my 3rd AGR box in under 10k miles, all are junk. First one puked fluid when it turned right, and that was straight out of the box. Second one the check valve was crap, right out of the box, it over-assisted at the top, had to fight it going down the road. 3rd one same thing, valve bad, it's eaten 3 power steering pumps in 3k miles.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Jeep boxes too, some like them, some not. I refuse to put a 'junk yard' box on my car, you NEVER know what you're getting, could have been replaced by the previous owner, could be bad for a number of other reasons. Internal stops, I too have heard mixed on that. I think that many people who say they like the swap for the most part is because it's a major improvement over what they had, not that it's a good swap. I've had many opportunities to drive cars with good boxes, so maybe I'm just being picky, but don't believe so.

I ordered and have received the new 500 box, shipped with the cover off of it, which kind of surprised me. But going to get it installed as soon as it's warm enough to shuffle my cars around, no way can I do it outside! Went ahead and got a new pump too, just to be safe. I will post once it's installed, give my personal review/opinion, just to close the loop on this thread.

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1972 442 W-30 clone

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1972 442 W-30 clone

Im curious about the QA1 shocks and springs they were using on the 66 Chevelle. 250lbs in the rear sounds high. I wonder if they were coil springs in the rear and coil over for the front too. Most of the springs i see from QA1 are progressive rate too.

I called CPP about their coil spring rates and they said they didnt know what the rate was. Idiots. I hate their customer service. Now if someone actually gives me an answere im going to think theyre just gonna spit out an answere just to have one. WTF
      James W.
      SoCal

I noticed that too, and the fact that Mary thought the rates could even increase. I suspect they are coil overs, which can become 'choppy', which she noticed while driving. Maybe she was referring to the fronts, dunno. Personally, I prefer conventional springs anyway, especially on heavier cars.

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1972 442 W-30 clone

Im going to call CPP and ask them even though they usually dont know ****. The price on the QA1 shocks are great. I asked UMI about the shocks and they say that they have no problems with them, thats why they sell them. They also stated that QA1 used to have problems years ago but all that is gone. The reputation stayed with them though. All the previous problems were fixed a long time ago.

I really want the CPP Steering Box though!
      James W.
      SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJammin626 View Post
      Im going to call CPP and ask them even though they usually dont know ****. The price on the QA1 shocks are great. I asked UMI about the shocks and they say that they have no problems with them, thats why they sell them. They also stated that QA1 used to have problems years ago but all that is gone. The reputation stayed with them though. All the previous problems were fixed a long time ago.

I really want the CPP Steering Box though!
      If you already have power steering, another option would be to have the stock one rebuilt.
      That's what I did with the one in my 68 Camaro. Rebuilt with quicker ratio gears put in it.
      Works real nice, I'm real happy with it.
      I took it to Lee's Mfg in Sun Valley,CA.
      They have a great reputation in the racing community. They did a great job and it was done pretty quick.
      They are more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Agree about Lee Manufacturing, but Mr. Lee had a stroke, and is getting out of the business. That's my understanding. Many shops who used them exclusively no longer carry his items. There are a few others, but as I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, usable 800 cores are becoming scarce. And instead of waiting 6+ weeks to have a box rebuilt, I personally would prefer to buy new.

HWYSTR455 on PY
      1972 442 W-30 clone

Country Flag: Canada
      UMI makes a box as well I believe it's a 670, fast ratio, includes the rag joint and fittings for $599. I found this info in another thread, also stated that it isn't listed on their website yet. This is the route I'll be taking.
      Jayson - '65 Beaumont Convertible

FYI...I called Lee Mfg on Friday to inquire about some adapters and not sure who I talked to but sounded like an older guy and seemed very knowledgeable so I assume it was him.
      -Kevin
      Project Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/113334-Project-JUNK-the-ultimate-budget-project!!-1979-Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nats68 View Post
      If you already have power steering, another option would be to have the stock one rebuilt.
      That's what I did with the one in my 68 Camaro. Rebuilt with quicker ratio gears put in it.
      Works real nice, I'm real happy with it.
      I took it to Lee's Mfg in Sun Valley,CA.
      They have a great reputation in the racing community. They did a great job and it was done pretty quick.
      They are more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I live in So Cal and went to Lee to for a price. He is real expensive. To expensive if you ask me. There are other shops that can do what he does for a better price.
      My buddy has a 67 Fastback and took his steering components and power steering pump to Lee. They first stated they would turn it into a quick ratio possibly 12 or 14:1. A week later they said that they cant make it quicker then 16:1. My buddy said fine no big deal. When he went to pick it up another week later, they left it the stock ratio and stated there was nothing they can do. I cant recall the exact price he paid, but it was close to 800-1000 dollars out the door. Bull**** and poor service. I know he does good work, but i dont know if his age is catching up to him and his stuff doesnt give a ****. I know he is getting real close to retirement.

I would go with the CPP or rebuild a stock one. There is a builder in Socal that has an awesome rep for builds on boxes. I will get the name and info for you. He was recomended by other racers and car builders. I havent used him, but i would consider him.
      James W.
      SoCal

I just picked up a rebuilt IROC box from Advance Auto Parts. It was 121.00. I found an online coupon for 50 of 125 so was 70.00 plus tax. Ordered the ps line adapters from Lees for 20.00 so I am in it for 100.00 total with tax. I did confirm it is a 12.7 box with a degree wheel.
      -Kevin
      Project Thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/113334-Project-JUNK-the-ultimate-budget-project!!-1979-Camaro

CJ Auto 5909 Firestone Blvd, South Gate Ca 902080 562 806 6464. I never had a rebuild from him, but i meet a couple of people that did and they love his work. He also ships. Just in case youre interested in someone else other than Lee and not a mass produced box (AGR, CPP).
      James W.
      SoCal

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com