Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: T56 question

T56 question

I'm looking at running a T56 in my '68 and have heard that they have issues with burning out 3 and 4 gear. Can these transmissions handle a 450-500 horse and 450 torque motor or should I be looking at strictly a magnum T56? Or is there a 5 speed route I should be going? I would prefer a T56 due to the ease of getting them and the price. Thanks for the help!

Country Flag: United States
      Which T56 did you have in mind? The 4th gen f-body transmissions era getting pretty hard to find. Next best would be a GTO trans, but it has different gearing. From there the options get less attractive to the point where a Magnum makes sense for ease of installation and availability.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

T56 question

I was thinking just that, a 4th gen fbody trans. There's been a few pop up complete w/bell housing for 1500-2000. The magnums are atleast double that. Are the 4th gen t56 and or GTO t56s strong enough to withhold that kind of power in a grand touringish car?

T56 question

They can handle that no problem. Lots of Fbody and gto guys with that hp.

But for the price difference id still go for a magnum. Warranty, stronger, among other advantages.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      They can handle that no problem. Lots of Fbody and gto guys with that hp.

But for the price difference id still go for a magnum. Warranty, stronger, among other advantages.

-Dale

Whats funny is back in 2003-2004 time-line I bought a low mileage T56 out of a 2002. Got the trans, bellhousing, and a B&M shifter for $900 off of Ebay. Now it seems they are always listed for $1500+ for just the transmission. I would also agree that a T56 magnum is well worth the money.

T56 question

Yep, I did the same thing.
      Amazing how expensive they've gotten. I blame the drift guys ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdzig View Post

I'm looking at running a T56 in my '68 and have heard that they have issues with burning out 3 and 4 gear. Can these transmissions handle a 450-500 horse and 450 torque motor or should I be looking at strictly a magnum T56? Or is there a 5 speed route I should be going? I would prefer a T56 due to the ease of getting them and the price. Thanks for the help!
      My experience is when you beat the crap out of them 3-4 is the first to go. There are a few Trans companies thy specialize in the rebuild. You can get a pretty good setup installed for $800-900. This is when you get into bronze pads, steel 3-4 shift fork, etc. My F-Body T56 is getting pulled for this rebuild in the spring. 3rd falls out every once in a while and 4th grinds like no tomorrow over 5K RPM.

My problem is that I paid too much for this Trans. The shop I bought if from said they just rebuilt the box. Apparently this was not the case. If you can buy the Trans for $1000 and get it rebuilt for the $800-900 range it would be less expensive than a new Magnum and take the abuse.

It's always better to buy new than screw around with used parts for sure. It's what I should have done but I was trying to save a buck.
      1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
      2015 Camaro Z/28
      1979 Li'l Red Express

I always look for ones needing to be rebuilt and have them gone thru with upgraded parts from Tick perf or other companies specializing in T56 parts & rebuilds. In the past I have bought used 6 speeds and most needed something addressed. That is unless you can drive the car its coming out of & know its ok. I dont abuse mine but know I will drive it hard. I'd rather start with a fresh one thats built to take what I'm going to put it thru. If you have the $ for the magnum it would be a great choice. Really hard to do the 6 speed on the cheap..

How well does the stock shifter location work when using a 2004 gto/t56 combo. Does the shifter need to be relocated?

Problem with 4th gen trans is they are getting old. And the tail housing seems bulky to me. I just had mine redone, maybe 100,000 basic street miles and i didnt think there was much wrong with it, i just wanted to upgrade it. $1800 later it was rebuilt and the output shaft was upgraded at hanlonmotorsports.com. And it shifts much better so,i guess it was more worn than i realized. But when we were discussing upgrades bob basically said if you have to end up having to replace some hard parts or want a lot of upgrades you get into magnum money so it isnt worth it, and it still might not be as strong as a magnum anyway.

If my 77 wasn't already setup for this trans i probably would have gone magnum.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

In addition to the dollar cost to go through a used transmission you also need to consider the hassle factor. Shipping these things is a PITA. When all is said and done the Magnum is the most cost effective.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I used the gear box stage 2 kit on my 4th gen Camaro T56 installed in my 69.

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/7824166.htm

Rebulit it myself. No complaints whatsoever. Shifts smooth and crisp to 6500rpm with a factory hurst shifter.Name:  IMG_0267.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  110.1 KBName:  IMG_0265.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  188.7 KBName:  photot56.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  208.4 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com