Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Different take on ls fuel rail.

Thought I would do something alittle different than the norm. Kind of has that old school or industrial look.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Sort of Steam Punkish...

You still need to have some tabs in place that would keep the rail in place.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Different take on ls fuel rail.

Haha that's pretty cool. Definitely steam punk!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Very unique......

Hah. I had never heard of steam punk before so had to google it. Some of that stuff is pretty cool and some is just weird.

wood overlay on the ls manifold... and custom cut some brass valve covers with inlays of wood.

That looks definitely out of the box.

I designed the LS7, LS4 and LS2 fuel rails and intakes, among others. I designed and tested fuel rails and some intakes for 15 years at Bosch and Hitachi.

The problem you will have is that copper is a catalyst for gum formation in the presence of ethanol blend fuels. You may find your injectors will gum up and plug over time.

The other issue is the lack of a damper in the system. Your stock fuel rail has a long stainless damper in each bank. You can see them if you look inside the injector cups. You may end up with strange lean and rich spots at some speed and load points without them.

You could cut the ends off the rails and gently remove them and put them into your fabricated rail. That would fix the fuel delivery issues and make calibration easier.

If you extend the rails past the number one and number two injectors it will also help. Injectors at the end of a rail tend to run rich due to the pressure waves at the end of the rails.

Your inlet at the center of the crossover is a good idea and should work well.

Thanks for the info Bill. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by williecutlass View Post
      Thanks for the info Bill. I really appreciate it.
      You're welcome. i hope it was useful.

ALWAYS pretty cool to see something different that actually looks cool.
      But ain't it even cooler to have a Gm engineer on site here to help with what we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      That looks definitely out of the box.

I designed the LS7, LS4 and LS2 fuel rails and intakes, among others. I designed and tested fuel rails and some intakes for 15 years at Bosch and Hitachi.

The problem you will have is that copper is a catalyst for gum formation in the presence of ethanol blend fuels. You may find your injectors will gum up and plug over time.

The other issue is the lack of a damper in the system. Your stock fuel rail has a long stainless damper in each bank. You can see them if you look inside the injector cups. You may end up with strange lean and rich spots at some speed and load points without them.

You could cut the ends off the rails and gently remove them and put them into your fabricated rail. That would fix the fuel delivery issues and make calibration easier.

If you extend the rails past the number one and number two injectors it will also help. Injectors at the end of a rail tend to run rich due to the pressure waves at the end of the rails.

Your inlet at the center of the crossover is a good idea and should work well.
      Bill,

I had to have a stock LS3 rail repaired once and I saw the long stainless strip inside the rail. Now I know what it's there for.

On my Cougar I am running aftermarket rails. Can I install a damper inside? How would you do that Bill?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I agree, we need more previous or current engineers on here!!!

The dampers fit inside a 3/4" OD 0.049" wall tube very well. Just try not to lose the little wire retaining clips on the ends.

They just slide in and hold onto the wall.

Does anyone have a picture of these dampers? Getting curious...

The dampers fit inside a 3/4" OD 0.049" wall tube very well. Just try not to lose the little wire retaining clips on the ends.

They just slide in and hold onto the wall.
      How critical is having one of these? I see guys swapping out their EOM rails for aftermarket ones and nobody talks about this...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      How critical is having one of these? I see guys swapping out their EOM rails for aftermarket ones and nobody talks about this...

Andrew
      It depends on your setup. Return style rails with regulators on them usually don't need more damping. The more volume your rails have, the less you need a damper. Most aftermarket rails use no dampers and work OK.

I like what they do and would try to use one if at all possible.

It depends on your setup. Return style rails with regulators on them usually don't need more damping. The more volume your rails have, the less you need a damper. Most aftermarket rails use no dampers and work OK.

I like what they do and would try to use one if at all possible.
      Bill,

I have a 2009 LH8 5.3L truck intake here. I took off the rail and was pocking around through the injector holes and these don't seem to have anything inside them. The rails are rectangular and are pretty big. Do you know if these had the dampers inside them?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Bill,

I have a 2009 LH8 5.3L truck intake here. I took off the rail and was pocking around through the injector holes and these don't seem to have anything inside them. The rails are rectangular and are pretty big. Do you know if these had the dampers inside them?

Andrew
      That is what is called a self-damping rail. The large flat sides actually flex and provide damping. I like the internal dampers because they don't leak if they fail (and I hold a patent on the design used in the Vettes).

Self-damping rails work also. I'm just biased.

That is what is called a self-damping rail. The large flat sides actually flex and provide damping. I like the internal dampers because they don't leak if they fail (and I hold a patent on the design used in the Vettes).

Self-damping rails work also. I'm just biased.
      Bill,

I guess I need to know if I should actually "do" something. I am all about actual tech, and I will do what it takes to have a well engineered solution, but at the same time, I don't want to overthink my set up...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Bill,

I guess I need to know if I should actually "do" something. I am all about actual tech, and I will do what it takes to have a well engineered solution, but at the same time, I don't want to overthink my set up...

Andrew
      Andrew,

If you run the factory intake and rail, you will be fine. Are you looking to change the setup?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com