Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Project92rs View Post
      But some of us heard that news from DSE over a year ago and we're still waiting....
      Quote Originally Posted by LS1-IROC View Post
      LOL, that'a my point. Talk is cheap. Few companies have delivered so far. I think with the popularity of these cars increasing every year it's only a matter of time before companies will take notice.
      LOL.....I'm on your side guys.....Just telling you what I saw......I was there in like the middle of December.

DSE was in the "drawing board" stage when I emailed them (a couple days ago). They had no time estimate. Other companies that I've emailed seemed to be in the 3-6 month range, so expect a year?

Well I'm kinda glad I'm working on an engine swap instead of trying to buy suspension goodies. Next year could be a GOOD year!
      Brandon Pursley,

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-IROC View Post
      LOL, that'a my point. Talk is cheap. Few companies have delivered so far. I think with the popularity of these cars increasing every year and enthusiasts willing to spend money for quality parts it's only a matter of time before companies will take notice.
      fixed it for ya ;)
      Sadly I think part of the 3rd gen's issues are some of the people who wander TGO in search of used spark plugs. Companies don't want to sink funds into R & D on parts they're not sure will sell. it's too much of a risk...
      Valerie Pichette

1988 GTA LS3 (418 stroker)/ T56 - "DragonLady GTA"

I think the market for 3rd gens is a few years from peaking, seems like the 2nd gens are on the rise currently. However, it'd be smart for the aftermarket manufacturers to be ready for that influx. I will agree, I've seen a lot of cheapies on TGO.

“Be Patient” OK, so many of us are waiting with crossed fingers that some cool parts are about to come our way from reputable companies with awesome engineering capabilities. A couple years ago while inquiring about parts several companies told me that there simply isn’t a big demand for 3rd generation Camaro parts so development of parts for that platform it wasn’t high on their list of priorities. Most already had parts in development for more collectable muscle cars that would ultimately be more lucrative for them (They gotta make money to stay in business). There was a consensus that 3rd gen enthusiasts can’t or won’t spend a lot of money on their cars. I couldn’t even get anyone to tell me what products they might try to develop.
      I’m hoping that whatever comes to market is worth the wait. In fact they should bring something that addresses some of the real weakness of our cars and be revolutionary. Fancy brand names on parts that are already available from many other sources aren’t going to cut it. If I’m going to spend premium money then the parts should offer a significantly measurable performance advantage over the bolt-ons already on the car. I wouldn’t mind seeing suspension kits that includes custom offset control arms and deep tubs for modern size rubber front and rear. How about a coilover kit that uses those new JRI coilovers with air adjustable ride height or a transmission cross member kit that has new tunnel sheet metal and will allow fitment of a T56 magnum. Tremec supposedly has an early style T56 with Magnum internals, anyone seen that yet? How about a bolt in fuel tank with a vapor works module already fitted, a modular shock tower brace…I could go on and on about what parts would be cool but I’m really just sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping to see genuine interest from manufacturers to develop truly awesome parts for our beloved 3rd gen Camaros.

Greg

Of everyone that I talked to Dale at Schwartz Performance seemed the most interested and genuine. He previously advised that they experimented with a bolt in chassis for the 3rd gen. However, it was a lot of work to make the conversion and not many people were willing to spend that much on their 3rd gen. It's been about two years since those conversations so I have high hopes that he has been able to bring the 3rd gen chassis adjustability and performance to a comparable level as their chassis systems for other cars. Dale, do you need another development mule?

Greg

A "bolt-in" whole front new clip would be awesome. Something that would correct some of the goofy geometry going on up there.
      A vintage air unit to fit under the dash would be awesome too. Get rid of all that bulk in the engine compartment.

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Well...since it's along the lines of this thread...

What is the biggest downfalls of the 3rd gen's suspension design?

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
      Well...since it's along the lines of this thread...

What is the biggest downfalls of the 3rd gen's suspension design?
      Some of them...

The weak front frame rails were they flex & crack around the steering box

The torque arm that creates rear wheel hop on heavy braking

The lack of decent brakes (unless factory 1LE brakes are on the car)

The goofy Ackerman angles on high steering angles

No anti-dive in the front when braking

The upper strut mounts that flex a lot

The rear panhard bar that causes jacking under hard right turns

The rear roll center that is too high

The rear upper shock mounts that crack and pull out of the body

Lack of camber gain on front suspension compression

There are others but off the top of my head these are what I came up with. No matter, I'll still give many other cars on the road a run for their money with my '92. But then again, it isn't factory stock either...

Bob.

82-92 Camaro Suspension - Custom or Bolt on?

Nah we've got 3 third gens in the family, unless you want to pay a "little bit" to have us build you a chassis ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Many of the suspension shortcomings can be fixed, with enough time, effort and/or money. Out of the the box they handle much better than any of the factory muscle we usually start with on PT.com. The roof of my 92 Formula is a full 4" below the roof of my old Buick Regal T-Type, both lowered about 2", so the CG is that much lower for starters. It weighed about 300 lbs less as well. Probably the thirdgen's biggest downside is the 52/48 weight distribution and that's difficult to correct. You can drive around it most of the time but there are some places on the track where it's just so obvious.

Many of the issues listed above are the result of the lightweight design, and the fixes for them ultimately add some of the weight back in. There are now "roadrace" designed front K-members that should pull about 50 lbs off the nose but the jury is still out on whether they are truly up to the punishment of road racing . . . and who really wants to be the guinea pig for that?

Significant gains can be had with bolt-on parts for all of the above issues, but thirdgens have similar limitations on tire size to the ones all of our cars face, and there's probably no cheap fix for that.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Four years ago that was an easy sale! Three years ago you talked me out of it! Now I have one in college, one sending out applications and I just got a new hip...LOL! Well, with three already in the family I'd like to think that my faith in you to eventually market some great parts for us isn't misplaced.

Greg

I'd love a properly engineered bolt in K member. The current manufacturers all tap dance around the question when you ask about how much engineering they put into their designs. When you mention things like torsional rigidity, fatigue strength and FEA analysis, they all go quiet.

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

........OK

Now everyone check the DSE catalog.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/DSE_Cata...atalog-15.html

8 Pages of 3rd gen parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      ........OK

Now everyone check the DSE catalog.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/DSE_Cata...atalog-15.html

8 Pages of 3rd gen parts.

The quadralink looks interesting but the rest is largely items that have been marketed by others with a DSE twist to the design. The new JRI shock options are interesting but I just don't see that many $3000 sets of front struts selling. All goes back to how cheap most third gen owners tend to be. But I'll definitely be having a discussion with them the next event I see them at which will probably be GoodGuys Del Mar.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

LOL...I never said it was cheap!

The only thing I get from them that is cheap, is BBQ dinner at their open house.......

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      LOL...I never said it was cheap!

True. So very true when you get into serious performance parts. But aside from the rear setup and the new shock options, most of what they have is stuff I can already get from other sources. Weight jacks have been available for years. Sway bars, steering shaft, caster camber plates, panhard, etc have all been around. The unique bits are the rear Quadralink and the new shock / strut options. I'll still look at all of their stuff and see if the mfg quality makes it worth swapping onto the car though.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com