Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: AN Fittings

Country Flag: United States

AN Fittings

I was thinking of changing out my 90's looking red/blue AN fittings to black. Has anyone seen any real difference in quality between say the Summit brand vs Earls or any brand in between. Ive seen when you try to reuse a Summit fitting that the treads get screwed up, but that could have been me. The one thing I can see I don't like about the Summit ones is the white Summit name, but figure that might come off with a little thinner. What are your thoughts or experiences.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Country Flag: Canada
      I've used mostly fragola and summit on my car and haven't had any issues. I clocked my fittings so the summit wasn't visible. I found somewhere online that one of the big companies makes the fittings for summit.

The summit is etched in and wont come off. I have had issues with the treads on summit fittings even when lubed and no longer buy them. I prefer Russel brand or Earls. I'm old school through and like the blue and red with the stainless braid. Just looks more vintage race car to me.

AN Fittings

The earls straight fittings are fair priced but the 90 deg are 2x the price

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

I use a ton of them and have had threade issues with the larger sizes , -10 plus. I prefer Russel over then and earls. I'll have to come back later with a couple pictures and better explanation off a real computer.

I use Phenix fittings. The Midwest distributor is in your area. http://www.phenixindustries.com/

For a bucks down approach, you can remove your existing hoses/fittings and spray the fittings with easyoff oven cleaner and it will eat the anodizing right off, brush with a scotchbrite pad and you are done, no more red/blue fittings.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I just bought some Aeroquip fittings and those seem to be very well made compared to my older Summit fittings. I'm with you on the old school Red/blue fittings. Makes it look old.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

AN Fittings

Thanks for the heads up on Phenix. Several shops local sell them and far prices. A few bucks more then Summit and less then Earls. 90s are true swivel and they said if I buy more then 10 I get 10% off. So I may go this route

Not something I need but they have a cool quick disconnect system for carbs. No wrench needed

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

AN Fittings

I've got the black hard anodized Earls fittings on mine. You may find there's a difference in the anodizing that accounts for some of the price differences.

AN Fittings

That's one thing I've never seen a difference in. They all scratch just as easy for me but I've never used black

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

AN Fittings

We use Phenix as well.

I agree with the differences in anodizing. If you have an earls and a summit in your hand, you can tell. The quality isn't that great. However, we've used all of the different brands on builds over the years, and haven't had any big failures. Summit, Fragola, etc.

If you do need a lot of fittings we keep a lot in stock or can drop ship from one of the Phenix warehouses.
      -Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

AN Fittings

I ended up going with Phenix. Bought everything yesterday. It will be nice having the same fitting over the whole car. $$ but nice lol

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

CarCraft or HotRod did a article a few years ago about AN fittings. Measured and weighed all the different manufactures fittings. I don't recall who had the best quality now. But it was a couple of the name brand types.

I also learned not to mismatch different brand hose to with others fittings as you could induce problems from the different brands tolerances.
      And after reading that article I knew why I had a few leaks. Now, If I buy Earls fittings I buy Earls brand hose etc.

I'm no fan of the "name brand" AN hose and fittings (Summit, Jegs, Russell, Earl's...). I've never heard of Phenix or used their stuff.

I use XRP and Goodridge these days. Aeroquip is my third choice.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

AN Fittings

I've noticed Fragola and XRP have the same part numbers, for what that's worth.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com